Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pics 1941-48 Ford chopped conv.top pics?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56KUSTOM, Jan 4, 2012.

1. As in folding tops please if anyone has some.

2. Davyj

Davyj

Took these back in 1979, I believe it was able to fold.........1941 Ford

Attached Files:

3. Are you looking to chop one of these? If so which one do you have, 41' or a 42-48? The 42-48 has quarter windows so the framework is totally different.

4. Russ V.

Russ V.

I would also appreciate pics and some ideas on how to avoid problems when chopping my '42 convert!! Cutting the windshield and wing windows should not be a problem....but getting the top and quarter windows cut without making a mess will take some expertise.:confused:

Any experience or pics would be appreciated.

Russ V.

Attached Files:

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

6. Russ V., I have a 41 that is different. Is there a way to just lower the whole top assy? I've seen this done on newer converts. If 56'Kustom has a 41 I can help as I just finished re doing my top.

7. Cruiser

Cruiser

Here's one chopped 2 1/2 and folds down into boot perfectly.

CRUISER :cool:

[​IMG]

8. Mine's a '41 chopped 4.5".

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Here is one I sold last year. The chop is two inches and the windows and vent wings are a lot of work to make perfect.

Attached Files:

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Can't find it now but I've seen one where the whole top as stated was dropped the required amount where it mounts behind the rear seat to match the chop, eg. 2". The 'A' pillars weren't laid back and the folding top arms were extended slightly to match the windshield header? The glass was removed from the side windows and the frames bent to match the new side profile. Will continue looking.

11. 56Kustom, I just finished redoing the top framework following an article in the book "How to Chop Tops in 301 Photos" by Tim Remus. I'll try to scan the article and when I get the car back from the upholstery shop (about another week) I'll post some photos

12. That would be great,thanks!

13. Well, here goes. I just scanned the pic's relating to actually chopping the framework. so pic #1 shows it still at stock height with the windshield cut. This car was only chopped a couple inches. Look at pic #2. notice the bar going up on a 45 deg. angle. It has kind of a double bend to it. That first slight bend will be cut out by about an inch. Refer to pic's 4 & 5. See how there's only one bend now. This cut is trial and error. Notice they are vice gripped together. I tack welded them first til I got them right. In pic#5 notice the lower bar where the arrow is. That black spot on the verticle body brace is the original hole. You can see where it was relocated. When I did mine, it turned out that the bar was too short to reach the brace so I made a little bracket and bolted it on to the verticle brace rather that adding legnth to the bar. Drilling that hole should be the last modification you do. Notice the arrows on pic's 5&6. You may have to file that slot ( where that arm bolts in ) a little deeper to allow that arm to rotate a little more.
    Pic #7 You see that little bracket that bolts to the channel. That darkspot is the original location. It has to move rearward. That's what moves the front header bow to land in the well and not on your back seat. That is also trial and error till you get it right. I drilled three sets of holes till I got it where I wanted it.
    I left the two padded strips connected to hold all the bows on their centers and left the well in place so I could see if the top was folding in correctly. I think I covered everything and hope this helps.

Good luck, Art

Attached Files:

14. Russ V.

Russ V.

Art

Thanx for sharing your experience and expertise. Were your pics from the Tim Remus book?? Did the book cover '42-'48 convert chops??

Do you know of anyone who documented cutting the '42-'48 convert top??

Thanks again for jumping in to help. On my project, we have channelled the body 5", sectioned the cowl 4", and raised the rear fenders on the body to match. I only want to chop about 2" out of the windshield.

Russ V.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  15. Rikster

Rikster

Bill Hines did.... HERE

16. No, I don't know any one who did the 42' - 48' but the info should be out there.

Yea, the pic's are right out of the Remus book. Sorry about a couple being upside down. And no, the book didn't cover the 42 - 48 either.
    If anybody needs to see how the windshield posts were cut I could post those pictures. Glad I could help.

Art

17. koolkemp

koolkemp

Lol Ya beat me to it Rikster!!:D

18. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

"Yea, the pic's are right out of the Remus book."

What's the name of the book? Any scans of the cover?

19. CharlieLed

CharlieLed

There's a 48 Merc convertible for sale in the classifieds right now...has a nice chop on the top and many other mods.

20. The book title is " How to Chop Tops in 301 Photos" by Tim Remus. It's got a picture of a light blue full fendered 32' Ford 3 window on the cover. Motorbooks International 1996. I found the book at Borders. Maybe try Amazon.

21. Roadsir

Roadsir

I chopped my car 2.5" The mechanism was actually quite easy. I dropped the quarter window mechanisms in the quarter panels 2.5" and moved them forward 7/8". I then added 7/8" to the front most top arms to reach the front header. I chose this route to prevent the front arms being too long and the top header not clearing the rear tub when the top folds down. If you are doing a 2" chop you might be able to get by with moving the mechanism forward and not adding to the front bow.

My quarter window and side windows were trashed. So I made new quarter windows, and new door windows stainless frames from 57-59 Ford Hardtop stainless and bent it (it actually formed well) and tigged it.

I also separated the vent windows and chopped them, and moved the upright forward in the door 7/8" to keep the top of the vent window the same length. This made my door window glass longer, but since I made new frames it was not big deal.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the top of the vent window is the stock length and the upright was moved forward. You can kinda tell the door glass is longer.
    [​IMG]

top hinge mechanisms modifed to move down and forward
    [​IMG]

Press tool used to bend the window channel stainless for the rear quarter window
    [​IMG]

View of window frames

[​IMG]

Lots of different ways to do this, and probably some easier.

22. This is my chopped 1947 convert. Uses a '41 style top.

Steve

[​IMG]

23. hotdamn

hotdamn

I know this threads north of 10 years old but anyone by chance have any info to update it with?