Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '59 Ford Custom 300 - Interior paint codes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59'er F100, Aug 11, 2022.

1. 59'er F100

59'er F100
    from Duncan, OK

Wondered if anyone has guidance on interior paint codes for my '59 Ford Custom 300? The trim code '02' only states "Blue Ribbed Vinyl Bolster and Blue Random Block Fabric". I'm trying to find a paint code for the dash and inner trim panels.
    I've found Ford offered "Wedgewood Blue" and "Surf Blue" in '59 but the Wedgewood is too light and the Surf Blue seems too dark but does have a metallic look to it as I have on my dash. Thoughts? Opinions?

2. Try Louis Champeau. He has been researching that kind of info for years. His e-mail is [email protected]

3. My interior was the same color. I'm thinking wedgewood blue from what my ID plate had on it.

The Witches of Eastwick at the DMV took my title behind closed doors for 20 minutes. Somehow they were able to come up with the fact that the exterior was a 2-tone, while the ID plate showed it as colonial white.

4. 59'er F100

59'er F100
    from Duncan, OK

@Bangingoldtin , Thanks for the info, I will reach out.

@bobss396 Was your wedgewood blue metallic at all? The lower side of my dash has a metallic look as well as the seat sheet metal. Yes, the DMV has a funny way of making you feel like there is a man behind the curtain!!

5. cabong

cabong

This is a '59 that I had back in '78. It was, without a doubt, the nicest driving car I have owned. I bought it out of a back yard in Craig, Colo. The color was that washed out pink and wimbleton white. I repainted the pink with '78 Ford Chamois, which is what the color should have been in the first place. The picture is old and faded, but the old Ford looked great.... 59 Ford  and AM (2).jpg

6. 59'er F100

59'er F100
    from Duncan, OK

@cabong Great looking ride! I really love the look of these cars!!

7. Mine was metallic. I have some extra interior parts I believe are also the same color. I'll have to take a look at them. My dad had a 59 Ranch Wagon, same color in and out. That was a metallic.

8. Gercow

Gercow

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  9. I tried the same for my 57 and had no luck. I happened to have a few parts with nice paint left on them. I clean them up a bit with polish and took them to my local paint show and they matched it really well and I got a 1qt can and did my interior. But need led more of the tiny parts and some touch up so went back. They keep the new formula and made another qt for me.

10. I think the interior blue on 59 is a bit darker than the 57 one. Also even with the chips they have to make a match. do find a sample of the interior part and have it matched. I hit my with satin finish.
    IMG_1642.jpeg IMG_4030.jpeg IMG_3940.jpeg

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

I did not know that you can take the entire dash out. Been driving mine since July 2000

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  12. Oh yes, the dash comes out. I was looking at my parts in the garage recently and I will say that the OP has Surf Blue on his dash.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Awesome! It looks like the blue on my 59 Ford is the same as my 59 Edsel

14. For the most part old paint codes are useless. Unless a paint company has needed to reformulate that specific colour at some point for something they will not have a crossover to create and old code with the new toners. As has been mentioned your best bet is to take something like the glove box door into a paint jobber and have them match that with an existing colour.

bobss396 likes this.
  15. I tried to have Colonial White matched at one place, no good. I wound up going with Wimbledon White. It may depend on where you go to have the paint sourced.

16. Not really. The problem is the new toners from all the paint companies are not the same colour as the old ones so like I said unless the specific paint company has had a need to design a new formula to match the old (which for the most part is highly unlikely) they have no formula or way to cross over to old formulas.