Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects built lots of cars, but never a 32 roadster...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SDS, Oct 14, 2021.

1. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wasn't aware this was even fired up let alone moving under its own steam! I must pay better attention. Let the fun times begin!!

Chris

Tim_with_a_T and Stogy like this.
  2. patman

patman

...just in time for snow! :( What alignment shop do you use?

3. There must be helps here for setting toe-in, the only adjustment on solid axle rods.

I'll try to explain my method.
    Place a three foot long piece of masking tape on the garage floor, under the center tread of each front tire. Of course, wheels need to be straight ahead.
    Use a large framing square. Stand it against center tread on rear of tire. Mark where it touches the tape. Then move to front of tire, center tread and mark where square is on the tape.
    Repeat on the other side.
    Measure distance of rear marks.
    Measure distance of front marks.
    Adjust tie rod length so front distance is 1/16" to 1/8" less than rear measurement.
    Now roll the car ahead so you can repeat the process, to double check your work.
    Adjust drag link length to center the steering wheel.
    DONE.
    It takes as long to write about it as to actually do the adjustment.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2023
    brEad, NJ Don and Algoma56 like this.
  4. SDS

SDS

McCoy's in Exeter - wouldn't go anywhere else. They treat hot rods and muscle cars right!

NoSurf and SPEC like this.
  5. SDS

SDS

McCoy's used an alignment rack to first ensure that my rear-end was in square to the frame, then straightened out the front end. Both operations required adjustment to the trailing arms/wishbone rod ends. I took it to them with all nuts/bolts loose, when all was good, they tightened it all up. I'm very happy with the results.

Now trying to get it registered/licensed in NH. If anyone has experience getting a non-serialized car on the road in NH, I'd really appreciate some advice.

Starting on the interior Wednesday evening.

pprather likes this.
  6. patman

patman

Thanks for the tip on McCoy's, I have an OT gen1 Camaro that needs a real alignment shop. I was also told to try Lloyd's Tire in Belmont.

7. SDS

SDS

Happy New Year everyone !

I'm trying to keep my car late 40s, or early '50s in appearance... What do you think, should I have it pinstriped or not? I definitely don't want any horizontal stripes on the body bead- I think those make the car look longer (which I don't want). If I did pinstripe it, it will be on the hood, trunk, lid, headlights and maybe gas tank.
    Thoughts?

8. Then no.

9. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I am really a dinosaur. I put a small pop rivet in the center of each tire with the wheels pointing straight forward. I measure and adjust until I get an 1/8 th difference from when the nails are at the back. Very primitive but when your nearest front end shop is 30+ miles away you gotta do your best until you can get there. Has worked on dozens of straight axle deuces, many of which never saw the front end shop. Maybe I was just lucky?

Kelly Burns and 19Eddy30 like this.
  10. SDS

SDS

Interior is starting to come together, got one door panel done today

IMG_7232.jpg

brEad, Kelly Burns, pprather and 5 others like this.
  11. NoSurf

NoSurf

Looks great.

Are you bringing it to NEVD?

12. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Looks really good, nice straight lines. If you made that panel, your sewing skills are way better than mine.

13. SDS

SDS

Northeast equine veterinary dental?

brEad and Kelly Burns like this.
  14. NoSurf

NoSurf

15. SDS

SDS

brEad likes this.
  16. NoSurf

NoSurf

How many toothpics did I just drop?

SDS likes this.
  17. SDS

SDS

I took the day off from work and got door panel number two done as well as cutting out the waterproof cowlboard for the kick panels.

PXL_20240507_214933020.jpg PXL_20240507_171511516.jpg

18. SDS

SDS

I learned a few things today while working on my interior.
    1. As someone mentioned in the upholstery thread, don't drill the holes to mount your trim or anything else through loop carpet because it will wind up the carpet threads like no one's business and rip off in rows. Having read this, I even melted out the holes with a soldering iron before drilling and it's still wound up the carpet threads on one of the holes .Luckily, I was able to stop quick enough to have only a small 3/8 in square spot sticking out from underneath the shifter boot trim. Using my experience from the movie industry in fixing screw-ups, I was able to super glue some carpet "fuzz" on to the bare spot. When I put the shifter boot with the trim ring on, it's not really noticeable unless someone points it out.
    2. When you're planning out where to drill the holes to mount your shifter boot trim ring, make sure to consider if there's any welds in your transmission cover/tunnel right underneath where you plan to drill the holes and put sheet metal screws in to hold the trim ring. The moral of the story is self-explanatory. Looking back, although it would have been much harder to bend, I should have put the four screw holes in an X pattern versus a plus sign pattern.

Happydaze, brEad and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  19. SDS

SDS

I'm too tired to write much and post a bunch of pictures, but I'm on to the seat upholstery tomorrow...
    PXL_20240526_015226792.jpg

brEad, patman, teach'm and 8 others like this.
  20. Bcap55

Bcap55
    from PA, USA

Looks real nice. I do most of the work on my projects, but I don't have the courage to try to do my own upholstery. Congrats.

loudbang likes this.
  21. Nice job, the sesats might be a challenge but I bet you are up to it! The end is near.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
  22. SDS

SDS

Thanks! As you may have seen in my early build thread posts, I cut down a seat from an 82 S10. The factory cover was in tact, so I have that to use as an example/template (thank God). That should guide me in the right direction.

brEad and pprather like this.
  23. SDS

SDS

Made patterns and have all the seat back panels cut out and ready to sew.

PXL_20240610_202604592.jpg PXL_20240610_202559279.jpg PXL_20240609_202841779.jpg

Bcap55, loudbang and pprather like this.
  24. Scott, you know the trick with the garbage bags when installing the new upholstery?