Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Possible bent spindle? HELP

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Wanalepa, May 21, 2024.

1. redo32

redo32

Well he took the fenders off so he thinks it's a hot rod. Time for the next step, a dropped axle and hydralic brakes. Intake , exhaust and some '35 wires or black painted '40 wheels are popular now days. Have fun!

2. He's here on the HAMB . . . not on Ford Barn . . . many of us here tend to build hotrods :cool:

Plus, there are plenty of guys building hotrods with Bangers . . . . one trip to TROG will confirm this.

In the end it is his car - he can do what he wants! LOL

3. NOBODY needs 1/4" of Toe. In or Out. Ever.
    Do it again, try harder.

35 PSI is good, on a truck.

Who built this thing ?
    Time to take it apart.

Compare the tire sizes on the front.
    Double check the rim widths.

Accurately measure the Camber at the Kingpins.
    Should be close to the same, side to side.
    Then measure the Camber.
    ---------------------
    Trouble turning:
    Look for the bearings, between the axle the spindle. Should be on the bottom of the axle. IIRC.
    If they are on top, that is a problem.
    ----------------------
    How would a spindle get bent ?
    Some time in the last 90+ years, what are the odds
    that someone hit a curb in the rain/snow ?
    Or was involved in a collision ?

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  4. Bubble protractor.
    Cheaper than a phone.
    And traditional.

2OLD2FAST and gimpyshotrods like this.
  5. SOMEONE here will know the factory alignment specs.

6. Wanalepa

Wanalepa
    from Irwin PA

I will look into this. Thank you !

7. Wanalepa

Wanalepa
    from Irwin PA

Besides Henry Ford's employees, couldn't tell you. I put the tires and wheels on..they are brand new. I bought the car complete and took off what I wanted to make the car mine..every brake component is new except backing plates and rods. Rebuilt engine from schwalms and clutch and such replaced.. and yes dad, I'll try harder next time on the toe adjustment. I think for my first time, that's not horrible.

Martinbuilt and ironandsteele like this.
  8. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The A axle has a lot of positive camber and had skinnier tires stock
    The outside wear is probably a combination of the wider tire, lots of positive factory camber, misadjusted toe in and worn kingpins. Jack the tire up off the ground and grab it with one hand on the top and another on the bottom and try to move the tire in and out....I would bet you have kingpin play....plus play in the wheel bearing...that will show up side to side...
    Prove that I am wrong.....

9. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah… today there’s probably a law against modifying any part of any vehicle…especially In Taxifornia….

Wanalepa likes this.
  10. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

Ford front axles are easily bent by improper flatbed tie down or pulling .

Unkl Ian and Wanalepa like this.
  11. Wanalepa

Wanalepa
    from Irwin PA

These tires have about a hundred miles on them. The tire that I took off that was bald on the out side was the stock 19inch wheel and tire size.

As far as king pins they felt fine when doing this test and play was extremely minimal. Bearings are I'm good shape with the hubs being brand new.

Not sure if I mentioned it but this camber is ONLY on the driver's side. Passenger side looks perfect in all ways

12. spanners

spanners

Daub some white paint across the tyre about 4" width and take it for a drive. Yes, it will look daggy and annoying going down the road but you will see how the tyre is wearing. Wipe off with some paint thinner when done.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  13. alchemy

alchemy

Since the two sides have different camber, and the hub/drum doesn’t seem to be dragging on one side of the backing plate, I’d say the axle is bent and not the spindle. As said above, find a heavy truck repair place and have them set the kingpin inclination to 8 degrees.

BJR, winduptoy and Wanalepa like this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have you ever thought about moving somewhere else?

winduptoy, Unkl Ian and Wanalepa like this.
  15. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Agreed....but I would probably go for less than you state that the big truck places won't touch it.
    You may have to get after bending the axle yourself...it certainly is doable with a chain and small hydraulic jack or porta-power piston....as suggested in this post
    [​IMG]
    I need to do some bending and this gives me some ideas....

16. Way back when Stock Cars ran early Ford front axle assemblies, the right front spindles got bent by hitting the wall too many times. I have a bent 1937-1941 right side spindle sitting on the shelf as a reminder to check and see if any that I want to sell are bent.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  17. Are the spindles still Model A? Is it possible that someone may have put a Lincoln spindle on that side? The Lincoln's have a different kingpin inclination angle built into them. Just throwing that out there. If both spindles are stock you can throw my comment into the trash and disregard it.

Happydaze likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

[​IMG]
    Shurley you jest, there is no freaking rule book that says a banger powered A can't run a slightly dropped axle It doesn't need to be a 4 inch drop bu t maybe 2.

19. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

As most of guys have said, i'm also betting my money on bend axle. I have dropped around 20 axles in couple of years and it is more common to have them bend than straight to start with.

This is how i do the checking and adjustment. Unfortunately you have to have axle remote from car.

KPI.jpg

Axle in wise, straight square beam fix on perch bolt bosses, king pins in place wedged to outside edge as they are when assembled. Digital inclination gauge calibared to 0deg on square beam, then measured the king pin inclination on both sides. About $100 you can buy decent gauge, do not buy $10 ones from Amazon, tried them and trashed them.
    What i have told, when using 28-36 spindles coal is 7 deg, 37-48 it is 8deg. Thats how i have adjust them (+/- 0,5 deg tolerance) and nobody has complaned

If adjustment needed, i use same jig as for dropping, use trigonometry calculate how much more or less the opposite side perch boss has to move to correct KPI. Then adjust distance between jig and stop according that.

20240331_223827.jpg

Ziggster and Budget36 like this.
  20. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Model A toe in should be 3/16".

PXL_20240525_175235488.jpg

X-cpe likes this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

All I can say on correcting the camber is that you haven't looked far enough for a shop that can or is willing to do it. It damned well isn't rocket science except you have to know where to tie it down and where to put the pressure to bend it back where it belongs. That might include figuring out where it is tweaked in the in the first place.

Unkl Ian likes this.
  22. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder why a V8 (32-up I assume) is different than an A? Engine weight maybe ?

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or maybe look for an alternative axle dropper/fixer. Take a read through the following thread (link below). Based on recent experience it seems the quality at Joe's has taken a dive. The good stuff starts at post #17.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/early-ford-axles-dropped-in-socal.1315721/

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  24. Lättähattu

Lättähattu
    from Finland

Or maybe Ford just made a mistake in first place. I know you do not understand a word of pic below, but it is official Ford Motor Company of Finland bulletin to Ford service guys. It says that toe in should be changed from 3/16" to 1/16" to reduce the tire wear. The bulletin date is as early as December 1928. So i would go with 1/16" even with model A.

toe_in.JPG

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very tall sidewalls allow more deflection.

Budget36 likes this.
  26. Ziggster

Ziggster

I know pic angles can be deceiving, but in the first pic, the rad grill looks crooked compared to the body. If it is is crooked, could the spring perch be buggered?
    Maybe somebody tried to start a drop on the axle at one point, and gave up. Will be interesting to see what the cause is for sure.

27. Jimmy Six had the correct advice go to a truck axle repair shop they'll straighten it while in the car.

28. jaracer

jaracer

Maybe I missed it, but did you ever take any measurements side to side to verify that something is bent?

Unkl Ian likes this.
  29. I had the same issue with my 27…turned out I had a bent spindle, swapped them out and fixed the issue, my dad and I suspected that it was probably hit while parked… funny thing I’ve heard that Ford actually sorted axles and spindles for correct camber… I did this and put them on my 25 dodge coupe, the camber was good… With the old spindles off my 27!
    Had gone to Freeman Frame to get the front end aligned when the left spindle was discovered to be bent… this was before it was sold to the current owner. I will NEVER go back there again,
    As my dad would say.. “ buncha shim shufflers”

Unkl Ian likes this.
  30. Curbs, potholes, hitting a jersey barrier with the wheel/tire.

I know it is different circumstances, but oval track cars bend spindles often due to contact with another car the wall or rough track conditions.

Unkl Ian likes this.