Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Stumbling flathead

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CSPIDY, May 25, 2024.

1. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

My 29 roadster began running poorly last week
    manly felt like a lose of power and like it was running on 6 1/2 cylinders

I have installed new plugs n wires with the addition of a flame thrower coil
    (been wanting to upgrade for a while)

runs better at low rpms like up to 2000 rpm, very smooth and can feel the power
    After that it stumbles badly, I isolated the secondary 97 and it was the same

I pulled the distributor (crab style), now I’m not really sure how the advance work but I suspect that the advance may not be operating properly, I need an education of how this little devil works
    IMG_2249.jpeg

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully, someone who is a real expert will chime in, but I'll get you started. The "advance" on these is actually "vacuum brake". It is in the protrusion on the left side of your picture (which looks like it has had no attention for quite a while). Take the big cap off, and there should be a floating piston inside, backed up by a spring. The piston presses on a disc rotating inside the distributor, and the friction keeps the weights from advancing the timing under periods of low vacuum. Under high vacuum, the piston is pulled back, allowing the weights to advance the timing. There should be a tube connecting the intake manifold and the distributor that supplies the vacuum signal to the distributor.

What could go wrong? The floating piston may be sticking. Freeing it up and lubing it may help. The spring could be missing, broken, or weak. The vacuum tube from the manifold may be missing or leaking. There should be a thick leather pad on the inner end of the floating piston that my be worn or missing. It acts kinda like the lining on brake shoes to increase the friction on the disc. (I procured some special 1/4 thick leather and made some of these discs for myself; I may have one or two extras floating around). The hex-headed screw on the end of the hex cap is for making fine adjustment to the mechanism when you get it working.

That should keep you busy.:)

Hudson31 and Stogy like this.
  3. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

@tubman , thanks for your quick reply
    I can not find or see a tube from the manifold
    I will pull the end off of the vacuum brake

4. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

Maybe take a look at the cap and rotor as well? My recommendation is to gas that Pertronix and set up a distributor with a quality point set and condenser. Keyword here is “quality”. Haha.

5. alchemy

alchemy

The vacuum brake tube connects to the upper left edge of the front cover, then to the intake. I see two wires coming from your distributor. Where do those go? Do you have some type of electrical controlled ignition?

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having no experience on electronic conversions with these, I had no idea, but I think you're right.

There are better ways to "start the fire", but you'll still need the advance working unless someone has come up with a completely computer controlled set up that works with only 2 wires and no sensors.

7. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

good eye Mr ripper, I may indeed switch this back to points but for now I would like to either find the problem or most likely suspect at this time.
    It has been my experience that the pertronics either works or you have nothing.

I have removed the end cap from the vacuum damper and found nothing
    This thing has been modified and fortunately I can contact the original owner and find out what has been done to this distributor.
    I pulled the distributor apart and found no indications of a problem
    so
    Unless the module is breaking down I believe I may be barking up the wrong tree
    IMG_2250.jpeg IMG_2252.jpeg IMG_2253.jpeg

8. FritzFord

FritzFord

Pertronix units either work or don’t work at all if it has failed. Your issue sounds like the problem caused by running the wrong coil for your module.

Only run the coil Pertronix pairs with your module.

CSPIDY likes this.
  9. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'd do a compression check and inspect/compare your spark plugs while they are out.
    If all the plugs look fine, I'd install an exhaust bung and get an air/fuel ratio guage and see what it tells you. Doesn't have to be a permanent install.....except for the bung. I'd also check all your ground connections, and check your float level. Floats have been know to cause the kind of issue you have. Had a friend who crashed his airplane on its maiden flight after a 2 year rebuild because the reconditioned and certified carb had a bad float.

CSPIDY likes this.
  10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From what you say and I can see, someone has completely removed the vacuum brake assembly from that distributor. Henry Ford never wasted money on anything that wasn't absolutely essential to the vehicles operation. Get the Pertronix out and a vacuum brake back in. The way it is, it probably goes to full advance immediately, unless they screwed with the advance assembly as well. That distributor looks like a disaster. You would probably be better off getting a different one that has been properly set up. And no, I don't mean an aftermarket electronic unit, but a genuine Ford unit, properly set up on a machine designed specifically for the purpose. You might start with Michael Driskell at Third Generation Automotive in Tennessee; they have an excellent reputation. As I said in an earlier post, timing is important.

RMR&C likes this.
  11. Whomever built that distributor needs to go back to Flathead school and learn how they work. Pertronix just replaces the points mechanism, the advance mechanism and vacuum brake need to be operational and working just as it was designed to work. When you pull the vacuum brake the advance mechanism will "flop around" and timing goes all over the place.

BUT - if it was running well before (even if the advance mechanism wasn't correctly responding) and now it isn't, then this is not the problem you're currently chasing. I'd start with a rebuilt and tested distributor from Michael at Third Generation - you'll bolt it on, and the dang thing will work (and have the correct advance setup).

gary macdonald and CSPIDY like this.
  12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, if that's not confirmation, I don't know what is.

gary macdonald likes this.
  13. Fuel, dollar to a doughnut.

Ben

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fix the obvious problems first, then go chasing down your suspicions.:rolleyes:

CSPIDY likes this.
  15. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Those distributors are actually a very simple item. I would fix the advance brake and make sure the points are in good shape and adjusted properly. As far as disturbing any other adjustments, I wouldn't do that. These things were only correctly set up on a distributor machine. Make sure the leather brake disc is not too thick. It will not advance properly. It should just peek up above the raised rim on the piston. Glue the disc in with a thin wiping of weather strip adhesive. Actually, what you describe sounds like the classic fuel starvation syndrome. Check or replace filter(s) and blow out the lines. Check pump flow and pressure. I would send the distributor to the place mentioned by "Bored&Stroked in his post. Be sure you have the vacuum line connected. It won't work right without it. It goes from the carb to a hole in the timing cover and feeds vacuum into the little hole shown in the distributor body in your first picture. Make sure this hole is open and clean. These lines use a now obsolete line nut. Do not try to screw a modern nut into this hole. You'll ruin it. Nuts should be available from early Ford parts vendors. They are also the same as the nuts used on Model A vacuum wiper tubes. BTW: You don't need to worry about getting it out of time. The dist. will only go on one way.

CSPIDY likes this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

Lots of good advice from Tub and Bored, and some other advice from people who didn’t read all the words, or maybe don’t know about flathead Fords. Just order up a rebuilt ‘42 distributor from Third Gen and bolt it on. Best answer.

CSPIDY likes this.
  17. NoSurf

NoSurf

I'm curious to see what you find out the problem is.

18. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

When I isolated the second 97, it seams to get worse
    also worth noting the stumbling didn’t start until 3000 rpm earlier in the week.
    It has degraded
    It has a cheep piston style electric fuel pump, and I wonder if it is running slower (I can hear it but the engine drowns it out) or as stated a blockage in the fuel line

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    NoSurf and firstinsteele like this.
  19. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

@Glenn Thoreson , all good advice
    I’m planning on addressing the distributor at a later date
    as for now I’m chasing the fuel
    and
    I know see that the distributor drive is off set like a model A
    Thank you and all the others that have contributed

20. On the fuel, start with pulling the tops off the carbs, seeing if there is any crap in the bottom of them and checking the float levels. It kind of sounds like a fuel starvation issue - which obviously the distributor did not cause. Since you have an electric pump, you can always pull the fuel line up by the carbs and using a gas can (and being extremely careful) - see how well the pump is pumping. I would only do this outside and use all precautions to not start a gas fire!

CSPIDY likes this.
  21. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

IMG_2254.jpeg

The fuel gauge on the fuel manifold shows good pressure

IMG_2257.jpeg

must be a magic gauge

22. That gauge is for fuel economy purposes. It guarantees good solid fuel pressure - without actually requiring there to be any fuel in the system. Please send it my way . . . I need to save on gas! LOL

CSPIDY likes this.
  23. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why anyone would start chasing other problems when the distributor is in as bad shape is that one obviously is baffles me. Especially with the fuel pressure that is showing. Trying to solve multiple problems at the same time is a fools errand.

gary macdonald likes this.
  24. Hey Tubman . . . the joke is that his gauge reads fine . . . when it is out of the car. ;)

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:confused:

1946caddy likes this.
  26. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

the plugs are showing lean and there has never been any popping out the exhaust or after fires
    I replaced that gauge and the needle never moved off zero
    It is pumping gas but not sure if it’s enough
    I have another pump, will check the line for blockage
    the only other thing is the pressure regulator

I will address the distributor but not now unless the fuel system is sound
    I have contacted the previous owner to find out what has been done to it before I do anything with it.
    It worked fine and other than not being original and looking poorly I cannot find a reason why it shouldn’t work as before

IMG_2256.jpeg
    This engine always had black sooty plugs before

NoSurf likes this.
  27. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

I checked the lines from the tank to the carbs and they are free of any obstructions
    I replaced the electric fuel pump and gauge at the manifold (used)
    I have zero psi at the manifold with the new pump, there is flow to the carb but the needle never moved.
    I have a Holley 12-804 fuel pressure regulator between the electric pump and the manifold
    I wonder if it is letting me down

Anyone have any experience with these?

I ordered a rebuild kit and a new 0-15 psi gauge

28. alchemy

alchemy

I have one of those regulators too but it has never stopped regulating. Is yours adjusted too low? You did notice the In and Out markings on the regulator, right?

You do know that 83% of all carburetor problems are the distributor, dontcha?

gary macdonald, Almostdone and ydopen like this.
  29. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

I installed the new gauge at the manifold and there is 3 psi even at higher rpms
    evidently the gauge I replaced the magic gauge is bad

next I will look at the carbs, check the float levels and look for debris in the bowl

seams like I’m working my way to the distributor

30. CSPIDY

CSPIDY

The primary 97 float level is 0.70 the secondary 97 is at 0.50
    Measured from the top edge of the bowl to the top of the fuel

not sure if this could cause this issue
    What do yinz guys think