Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods a833 shifter mount distance?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 69fury, May 25, 2024.

1. 69fury

69fury

Hi guys,

I'm changing plans for my build to a 4 speed instead of a 727. I'd like to have the shifter location known (as measured from the engine face) so I can coordinate a dash, steering wheel and bench location.

I'm using a Hurst Super Shifter 3 with the big relocation bracket that puts it upward and rearwards, made for a B body, but it's not going in a 60 Falcon so everything's in flux...

Basically I need to know which trans to shop for...

I know the A body had the short tail shaft with a shifter mount (3 bolts) a bit less than half way back.
    The early B bodies had the 16 inch tail with a shifter pad really far forward
    The late B and the E bodies had the 16 inch tail with the really far forward patter AND a really far rearward shifter mount (so 1 in front and 1 behind the A body position)

I've seen the common b&w diagram showing the basic dimensions of an E body a833 but it only shows basic case dimensions and not the shifter mount distances in the pic, let alone the third.

Does anyone know the distance from the engine block face (or even the maincase/bellhousing point) to a front, mid, rear bolt out of the three-or even to the center of the triangle pattern, so I can determine where a supershifter would stick straight up?

I figure there's gotta be at least one guy around with each version I could get a measurement from.

Thanks! a833.gif

2. Well, it will make a difference if you're running a 440 or a 340 or a 392 Hemi or a Dodge Red Ram being all 4 of those motors are different lengths. That blueprint looks to give you everything you should need except specific motor length.

3. 69fury

69fury

no, the engine wont make any difference in the length of the trans from the bellhousing to the tailshaft. Those mills all put the bell in the same place inside the car. The diagram doesn't list the dimension to the triangle pattern for mounting the shifter.
    distance A is from rear block face to front of main case
    distance B is from rear block face to speedo hole
    distance C is from rear block face to trans mount
    distance D is from rear block face to end of tailshaft

I'm looking for specific measurements- from either rear block face front of main case or even front of tailshaft to the 3 possible triangle mount patterns (of which only 2 are in that diagram

4. Got it now. I misunderstood at first. I have one of both tail shaft styles in the Shop. I'll get the numbers from the tail end of housing to center of bottom bolt on all 3 plus the 7/16" mount hole for shift cluster when I go back out after dinner.

5. On the B B dual shift mount location unit hook your tape onlocation of. the housing end and to the rear most bottom bolt hole it's 2, 3/4" to center. From the same point to the forward bottom mout bolt boss is13, 1/2" to center. On the other unit with single shift mount, from same location at rear seal it's 3, 3/4" to center of bottom bolt boss. On all 3 units the 7/16" main bolt that mounts the shift cluster, that bolt hole is 1/4" forward of the bottom bolt hole I gave you the measurements to. Hope this helps you out,