Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Square Cars..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LOU WELLS, May 6, 2024.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Can Anyone Recall Wrecking Yards That Still Had Square Cars?... 441410676_902586341669357_9011916564015312913_n.jpg

2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I used to go to Carmichels's Junkyard in Excelsior, MN in the late fifties and early sixties they had a bunch. The only ones I remember specifically were two late twenties Essex sedans. I think I remember them because I had never heard of that make before.

hotrodjack33 and LOU WELLS like this.
  3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born in '57. Started searching junkyards about '77.
    You might only hear memories from the older old guys.

hotrodjack33 and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Lou
    A good chance you know about this one.
    I was fortunate to see one yard so described, 1985, was on my way to the NW Nationals in Yakima Washington, this place was right on the highway, man, talk about a double take, nothing but rusty square cars, I think it is long gone now.

chryslerfan55 and LOU WELLS like this.
  5. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

There Was One 063e2e75dbf05fba09ff3105e2673ce0.png between Twin Falls Idaho And Jerome With A Few Brass Cars That Had Been Held Back From The Crusher (1966)...

rustydusty and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. BJR

BJR

Nates in Minneapolis had some square cars in it's yard on Washington Ave inn the late 50's. I remember going to a yard in northern MN around 1970 that still had some square cars, and lots of 30's and 40's cars.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Usually a lotta square cars. Soccer mom shit, 4dr sedans, imports. You know, all the shit squares drive. Or izzat not what you meant...o_O

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

no. I can remember going to the junkyard and getting a posi rear end and a Muncie 4-speed for my GTO with several cars to choose from in the 70's. now all we have are corporate junk yards where they clear out the cars after 30 days or so due to volume. very rare to see anything cool there... even 10 years ago

9. Balljoint

Balljoint

They’re either square of they look like an egg, all the same blah colors too. No character whatsoever.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Yes.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Used to run across some 30’s and 40’s truck cabs and frames that had been made into forestry equipment. Loggers dreams, doodlebug tractors, truck frames converted to log trailers.
    All that stuff disappeared in the late 80’s/ early 90’s around here.

12. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

In the 1950's, I would tag along with my dad to the junkyard (he liked to scrounge around for stuff). In my 8 year old mind, there were some grand old cars. Packards, Cadillacs, Lincolns, and many others. Like a candy store to me.

13. Fordors

Fordors

I was born in ‘49, I can remember seeing late ‘20’s - early ‘30’s cars in a yard on Archer east of Knox Ave. in Chicago up until the late ‘50’s., very early ‘60’s.
    West of there was Green Bros. Truck Yard, it was loaded with a lot of military vehicles. Deuce and a half’s, jeeps, even a few half tracks in the front row. In back they had a couple chain drive Bulldog Mack’s and some other old ones.

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

15. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

When I was born people were still driving them. :eek:

16. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Understood Glenn... 13775543_1098593886887508_3190698102316913314_n.jpg

deucemac, chevyfordman and Balljoint like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

LOU WELLS and 49ratfink like this.
  18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's less fun when I gotta explain. Don't be a square daddy-o...:cool:

19. Balljoint

Balljoint

I was catching your drift, I was just interested in ragging on new cars.

theHIGHLANDER and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back in the late '60s/early '70s I recall a number of yards that still had some (albeit rusty) "square" cars. Here in Upstate NY, the "stock car guys" had pretty much cleaned out (and ruined) ALL the 1930-41 bodies, but they had little interest in the boxy '20s cars.

seabeecmc and LOU WELLS like this.
  21. Fordors

Fordors

Good point Glenn, and I can relate. Mom and dad rented when I was born, they had a house built in 1954 and I remember riding in a Model A Tudor that was a neighbors DD. We followed the moving van, my dad never had a car!

427 sleeper and LOU WELLS like this.
  22. Tuscaloosa Al
    Then
    IMG_8847.jpeg
    now IMG_8848.jpeg

23. cfmvw

cfmvw

Years ago I went with some friends to a junkyard somewhere in the middle of Maine. At the time (probably 30 years ago) there were quite a few late 1930's - early 1940's cars there. My son was around six years old at the time, and he couldn't get over how they used to be built. I remember him saying the bench seat in one car was like a couch!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  24. 57Fury440

57Fury440

Kober's in Washington, New Jersey had lots of cars. They had some from the 30's but they were pretty far gone. Some from the late 40's had some parts on them but the 50's cars had lots of parts and some cars that were restorable. In the late 90's I was able to get quite a few 57/58 Plymouth parts for the cars I had and the one I still have. Gabe ran the place, and he was a nice guy. He would let you go through the place and get the parts you need and for a reasonable price. I don't know for sure what happened, but I was told the owner died (Gabe was the son) and the family had everything crushed.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  25. Gastrap

Gastrap

Don't recall if it was someone's hoard or a salvage yard, but I remember a place like that in Clinton County near Plattsburgh I found in the 80's.

LOU WELLS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  26. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I was 6 or 7 in the late forties, my folks took the family to see a softball tournament at Parade Stadium in Minneapolis.. We parked a couple of spots away from this funny looking "square car", the likes of which I had never seen before. I asked my dad what it was an he told me it was a Model "A" Ford coupe.

The odd thing is that although it was a weird old car, it was less the 20 years old at the time.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. So it would have been better for them to have been left there to be crushed?
    What part of that the general public didn't want those cars by the early 50s is so difficult for you to understand?

I saw an interview on YouTube the other day (I thought I should save this for that HotJack) an early stock car racer building his first car in the mid 50s.

He said the local Ford gave him a 33 Ford coupe because no one wanted it and they couldn't sell it, because by the mid 50s all the manufactures had hydraulic brakes and most had O.H.V V8s,

Next the Western and the Southern Tier of NY as well as Northern Penn. were mostly outlaw. Track like Five Mile Point (Five Mile Point NY) Mid State (Morris), Fulton NY, Brewerton (Brewerton NY) Penn-Can (Susquehanna, Pa) raced mostly square coupe and sedans.

Fulton speedway was flathead until the mid 60 and the Labor Day New York State Fair race on the Mile was flathead until 1965! Mostly square coupes and sedans.

Also this wasn't like today were teams show up to the weekly track with a Stacker two cars, back-up everything engines, rears, etc...

Those were working class guys who raced the same car for a couple or more years, they could afford to be tearing up and rebuilding a car every week.

Did you realize the many stock cars were built form street car that were worn out and had bad engines, rears, etc.. that would have cost more to repair then they were worth?

This is a latter era but the Jack Miller's Mustang bodied Late model that he dominated the 1973 season with was a wrecked (in fact totaled car).

LOU WELLS likes this.
  28. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

anthony myrick likes this.
  29. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You sure have a lot of opinions for someone who didn't "live it".

First of all, NOTHING got "crushed" around here until the late '70s when steel prices went nuts and portable crushers became available.

The resurgence of hot (street) rodding took off about 1970, and me, my buddies and fellow Street Rod club members had about a 10 year window to scrouge junkyards and back roads before they all started to disappear (scrapped).

What we did find were 100's of clapped-out, gutted, wrecked and ruined early Ford Coupes/Sedans...and very few unmolested buildable projects.

It seems every farmer and woodchuck thought he was Troy Ruttman, and left nothing but crap for the next generation of us hot rodders.

Look, I get it, those old stock car guys were just doing "their thing" but considering this is a Hot Rod & Custom Forum, I don't have much love or respect for the guys that "ruined" the cars that 99% of HAMB members love.

das858, 427 sleeper, BJR and 2 others like this.
  30. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Perspective is relative ...