Register now to get rid of these ads!

Featured Hot Rods Top Banana Style Slingshot Dragster- Marty Strode-Chris Kopp.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Apr 7, 2024.

1. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Very, very cool. :cool:

I run the same Strange steering box and arm in my FED.

Cheers,
    Harv

2. AmishMike

AmishMike

Surprised all the work for removable steering mount. I thought usually just welded in place. Do greatly admire your work.

3. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Mike, you are full of questions, and that’s a good thing. When working on any car, in critical areas, I prefer to have the least amount of things in the way, and that is why it will be removable. Also, since I am setting the car up for me at 5'10" and 175 lbs, it will be far easier to convert it for another driver, by making another crossmember. IMG_20240521_135125277.jpg

OFT, Graham08, Countn'Carbs and 15 others like this.
  4. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Got the bracket fabbed and in place, after a final fit, I will tack it to the cross tube and add 2 gussets. But for now I am going to work on getting the front real wheels and tires ready. IMG_0569.jpg IMG_0568.jpg

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Wanting to put a little shine on the outer faces of the front wheels (not @Bandit Billy quality) I was fortunate that my buddy Lonnie Gilbertson's lathe takes the same jaws as mine. Through the years Lonnie has narrowed/widened a lot of wheels, magnesium and aluminum, so he made this special set of jaws to hold them in the lathe safely. He loaned them to me, and I started with some fine/worn out sandpaper on a long board, followed with maroon and gray Scotchbright at 115 RPMs and then some Simichrome polish. They suit me just fine, and won't be a maintenance nightmare. IMG_0570.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0572.jpg IMG_0573.jpg

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good Marty! Not too shiny. As you typed that I was out in the garage running the buffer around my Olds. At least I use a pleasant smelling compound since all of my clothes are covered in it.

brEad, Stan Back and porkshop like this.
  7. AmishMike

AmishMike

Sorry if I become pest. Really like your builds. On trip across country was up your way wish I had stopped. Would have left sad when u refused to sell me one of your track roadsters. Have run bunch door cars always dreamed of modern junior feeler. U build

porkshop likes this.
  8. RodStRace

RodStRace

It's not just your clothes! :p

porkshop likes this.
  9. RodStRace

RodStRace

Marty, truly amazing work.
    I just started a little project and am getting great feedback. What I'm doing is child's play compared to your work, but I'm enjoying the process and the progress I've accomplished. That's good enough for me, but you remain an example myself and others aspire to. Bravo, young man!

50John, brEad, porkshop and 1 other person like this.
  10. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

I see the fine China set out for the cats. I know those colors are Ming Dynasty. You’re not fooling me…

tractorguy and porkshop like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Actually those paper bowls probably came from China. Nothing but the best for Louie and Marbles.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I could have let you drive one, then you would have really been hooked.

13. AmishMike

AmishMike

If I fly out will u let me drive one? I will NOT be bringing it back ( huge smile)

brEad and porkshop like this.
  14. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I wouldn't call it amazing, a fella should learn something after doing it 60 years, patience is also your friend. I checked out your T-Bucket reclamation project, lots of helpful feedback and looks like fun.

porkshop, Graham08, chriskopp and 3 others like this.
  15. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

A friend of mine for 50 years was looking for a Chevy engine to Ford toploader trans bellhousing and his search led him to the HAMB, and he found out that I had a couple Lakewood scatter shields. I was ready to give him one, and mentioned I was going to run a 40 lb wheel in the Dragster. He just happened to have a nice one and a pressure plate to match, so it ended up a swap. It should be simple to add some thick tapped pads to pick up the Ford trans pattern inside, for his application. IMG_0574.jpg

porkshop, OFT, brEad and 10 others like this.
  16. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

chriskopp, AmishMike and bymanr like this.
  17. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Inspect the windows of the clutch fingers closely as some makes are prone to developing cracks in the cover. A fix was to add "window frame" reinforcing plates around the windows.

18. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

19. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

If AmishMike is driving the dragster, and I'm driving the '29, will you be driving the hauler or the '40?

AmishMike likes this.
  20. AmishMike

AmishMike

I will drive either rail or RPU. Then leave with track roadster

21. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

So, If I want something to drive, I had better get started on this one ! IMG_3518.JPG Simca 2.jpg

porkshop, OFT, brEad and 9 others like this.
  22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Nice pedal car Marty!

chriskopp, partssaloon and Stan Back like this.
  23. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

porkshop likes this.
  24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Do you mean the 57 Silver Hawk ? It belonged to my buddy Dave Wallace that was riding along. My brother Jerry painted it RED for him, and he drove it a couple years when we were in Hi-School.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  25. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The current phase of the project is getting the caster corrected and mounting the friction shocks. That way when Chris is building the body at the nose section, he will know what he is fitting the body around. I also received some parts I had ordered, a small starter, quick disconnect for the steering and a Girling style master cylinder. Tomorrow, I will pull the engine and saw the excess off the engine plate. IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0592.jpg IMG_0593.jpg IMG_0594.jpg IMG_0601.jpg IMG_0602.jpg IMG_0603.jpg IMG_0598.jpg IMG_0599.jpg IMG_0600.jpg

porkshop, chriskopp, brEad and 12 others like this.
  26. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Tic Tok Mr Strode. How’s progress going over there on your side of the hill.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Not much progress, I have been moving equipment in the main shop, along with a cleanup. I have also been busy helping family, my nephew and I pulled the engine out of the T-Bird Bonneville car, getting ready to sell it in pieces. Lots of really go fast pieces T/F late model Hemi, Lenco, and Winters Extreameliner QC.

brEad and SilverJimmy like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Today, I got the steering shaft support, fit and tacked together. Mounting the brake master cylinder is next. IMG_0613.jpg IMG_0614.jpg IMG_0615.jpg IMG_0616.jpg

porkshop, tomcat11, brEad and 14 others like this.
  29. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Will you post here when and where you’ll be selling all the LSR stuff?

porkshop likes this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I will PM you with the list, as the stuff is too modern to show here.

porkshop, brEad and SilverJimmy like this.