Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody Else noticing...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by 283john, May 11, 2024.

1. This applies to the main board mostly but i post it here because my particular cars fall just OT. Anyhow, I have really been noticing a much wider acceptance of classic, custom, or high performance cars in the last two years or so.. Especially among women. I very frequently drive my '65 Rambler and for the last 2 Months have daily driven my '67 c-10 due to my daughter needing one of my vehicles. Historically younger women have always ignored these cars or even rolled their eyes at them, but lately i get more compliments from soccer moms, college age women and even young girls than i do from old guys. Not complaining, just way different than even a few years ago.

2. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Have you lost weight? New hair cut? Maybe not the car!

WC145, The37Kid, Cris and 8 others like this.
  3. I haven’t.
    I’ve always been attractive no matter what I drive

SuperKONR, WC145, ekimneirbo and 14 others like this.
  4. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

The easy answer is their is no longer any style to the latest ( ten or so.. ) years.
    Even Cars from the'90's had some individualism.
    Now its a sedan or an SUV and they all look alike.

29A-V8, 283john, 427 sleeper and 4 others like this.
  5. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

John...its probably because generally guys driving old cars fix them themselves, aren't pussies or soy boys. That's my take. Many young guys don't even how to change a tire. Manliness! The old guys not into old cars have probably lost testosterone...lol.

Last edited: May 13, 2024
    williebill, WC145, Just Gary and 5 others like this.
  6. Yes, tinted glass does wonders for the ego. ;)

7. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

All I've noticed is if I drive the 31 ford truck most people don't pay much mind. If I drive my 72 chevy truck it gets noticed more.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

People tend to remember the cars and trucks that were around when they were young. The old stuff stands out from the vehicles of the modern era and that tends to grab peoples' attention.
    Then add that old trucks are popular these days.

9. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

I need to point out that soccer moms college women weren't here until the mid 90's

10. IMG_5591.jpeg
    dang. I get noticed all the time. For years
    I guess I’m just super good looking

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  11. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Hmmmm..Ford vs Chevy ??

SS327 and fastcar1953 like this.
  12. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Whenever I was driving my ‘51 as a daily I getting out of it at a grocery store and while I was walking in this lady who looked pretty good told me that “she lost her virginity in a car like that” If I wasn’t married I would’ve asked her if she was up for round two:eek:o_O:D

19Eddy30, 29A-V8, Toms Dogs and 2 others like this.
  13. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

In my experience, whenever a women caught my eye, she was very good looking....

But, whenever a women noticed me, she was ALWAYS spectacular....

427 sleeper likes this.
  14. The most attention I get anymore when I drive my 55 is from the homeless people at the intersections with the signs. I have had them put down their signs and give me a thumbs up. They all seem to enjoy old cars and trucks, maybe they are just looking for a tip! Mark

Toms Dogs and SS327 like this.
  15. Haha...I noticed this recently as well. I was at a gas station in the Chevelle with my son and some young girl likely about his age started commenting on the car. I told him in the 33 years that car has been around, that might have been the first time that some cute young girl did anything other than turned up her nose at it. Anyway, likely has something to do with all the reality car shows on tv making this stuff a little more mainstream than it used to be?

Just Gary, SS327 and 283john like this.
  16. Where are these young women you speak of?
    I don't need my ego stroked by a dude but a woman 15-20 years my junior that loves old cars I am all about it.

Jrs50, 283john and SS327 like this.
  17. whiteSUVs.jpg
    I think this poster is relevant to what you just said

Edit:
    What is funny is even if you look at the exotic sports cars including the Corvette they are all starting to look the same.
    I guess it was inevitable that cars would eventually look the same and function the same because of aerodynamics and fuel efficiency laws along with safety standards. It pretty much was going to guarantee all cars look the same.
    And when I was a kid I remember all the automotive journalist making fun of the general motors cars because they were badge engineered but at least you could tell a GM from a Ford and a Ford from a Chrysler k car.

29A-V8, The37Kid, 65pacecar and 3 others like this.
  18. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

YUUP Thank You, Atomic Reverend Alexander

19. Could probably do the same “they lookthe same”example with cars through the mid 30s

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    SuperKONR, MCjim, clem and 1 other person like this.
  20. And beyond. Basic car design has always been similar between manufacturers.
    c6u5cnnnzosc1.png

Attached Files:

MCjim, clem and anthony myrick like this.
  21. Not really, no. I've always gotten plenty of shouts and thumb ups from all sorts. I work in a college town and a lot of the college girls dig the 55. Women my age and a bit older always have as well. If I had to guess, I'd say I get mostly thumb ups from guys, and actual comments from women. This is fine by me.

427 sleeper and SS327 like this.
  22. I am going to disagree with the statement that they all look the same throughout history.
    In the horse and buggy days I would say most vehicles look very similar because it was form over function just the way it was when the horse was pulling the cart but it was Alfred Sloan (one of the main guys at GM in the mid 1920s) that pretty much made styling at the forefront causing vehicles to change from year to year and to get better driving competition and innovation... By the mid 1920s cars tend to get styling even Henry Ford's Model T got quite the extensive facelift in 1925 (who doesn't like a 25 to 27 roadster as an example?).
    Yes, through all generations and time frames cars usually follow a basic styling language at least by country that mafe them although it was much less in the 1950s and 1960s and 1970s, in fact your poster proves that back in the 1940s because the reality is the Buick doesn't look remotely close to the other three cars and yes a Ford Chevrolet mand Plymouth look similar but they clearly look different than a Lincoln or Cadillac of the same era.
    And as we go forward in time you could spot the tail fin on a 59 Cadillac a mile away just like you can do the same on a 59 Chevrolet or a 59 Ford or Plymouth or even the rambler mid sizes every one of those cars look vastly different even though they do follow the same design language. What's funny is there are outliers that don't follow the same design language that would be considered game changers and everybody would copy them, look at the Lincoln Continental with its spare tire, or how about the Studebaker coupes in sedans that were super aerodynamic in the early 1950s, or how about the stuff down design of the Hudson back in 1947. A Hudson competed against Buick or Pontiac for price but it looked for 4 years newer. That same argument can be had for the full size cars of the late 1960s, a Lincoln Continental and a Cadillac DeVille dimensionally were the same size and both had vinyl tops but they clearly had different design language from one another, then if you compare them to the luxury cars of Europe such as a Rolls-Royce or a Mercedes-Benz and clearly they were all totally unique and different. You really don't see cars starting to look the same again until Federal mandates and regulations start taking effect along with a globalized economy causing world market cars... Today they are literally that poster above, arguably the only car that looks slightly different on that entire poster I posted the other day is the Mercedes and that's only because the rear window d pillar is hidden behind the glass and blacked out so it looks like the roof is floating but it's not like that's an original design GM was doing that 20 years ago.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I'd have to disagree that all of them looked the same or even similar from manufacturer to manufacturer. Back then you could recognize the brand of the cars pretty easily without having to see the logo. Today, it's often pretty difficult to tell who made one unless you can read the logo. About the only ones that stand out were the Honda Crv or the Volvo with the ugly tail lights. Of course, " back in the day" there were a lot fewer brands to identify with............today there are too many to remember......or maybe just my "rememberer" is fading out. :D

58-Studebaker-Golden_Hawk_DV-09_BC_01.jpg
    1958-Oldsmobile-98-Convertible-Heather-45.jpg
    Chevy.jpg
    Ford.jpg
    Plymouth.jpg
    Pontiac.jpg

29A-V8 likes this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Yes, I know what you mean, younger women are constantly bothering me wanting my phone number and such and if I was sixty five years younger, I'd, um, uh, um, what were we talkin about?

25. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Older folks (men and women) always comment on my rusty ol 54 Studebaker 4 door. It's sick with a dead fuel pump right now, but it's basically my daily driver.
    The bank, the gas station, places to eat, grocery store, all over.

They are...remembering...back .

Mike

29A-V8 and SS327 like this.
  26. Ziggster

Ziggster

27. SuperKONR

SuperKONR
    from All over

Yep if there was ever a "how creepy can we get" thread, this would be it.