Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question on early ford juice brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bustingear, May 24, 2024.

1. bustingear

bustingear

I was just on ebay looking at the early ford juice brakes and i see that inner flange around the axle is squarish on all of them. The set I have has a round inner flange?? I am trying to ID exactly what I have and would appreciate some good advice. Pictured below is my set.?

Attached Files:

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox

The round backs are the ones everyone uses. They "look" cooler. Whatever. The round backs are '37-'41 Ford items and are the same as square backs which are '42-'48. It's all in the look. Guys with highboys (fenderless) prefer the round back spindles because they are exposed.

3. bustingear

bustingear

are these front or rear Someone said the drums are rear??? are the backing plates also rear?/

4. Those are rear hubs and drums...

5. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Your picture looks like you have one front and one rear backing plate. I see what looks like a squashed emergency brake cable tube in the one on the right but no tube on the left one. In any event you are missing a whole bunch of e-brake hardware in the pictures. Could the fact that there is a different hole shape between round back spindles and the square back items? Wouldn't it affect only the front plates ?
    I don't know. I've only done a few of these. My Avatar car is one of them. It was one of the easiest things I've done. Round back spindles with bolt on steering arms on the front. The rear ones need to be positioned in their original position or it's impossible to bleed the brakes. If running tube shocks it's easy. Just cut off the original shock link ball behind the backing plates and they will fit right up to the axle flange with the wheel cylinder at the top, where it belongs. E-brake linkage requires a bit of imagination.

6. alchemy

alchemy

He’s asking about the grease guards. Round through mid 30’s, then got a squarish top to clear the hydraulic cylinder. Obviously the round ones still fit, as you have some.

Your backing plates are 39-41, and I think those are 35 drums. They are really only good for use with early Ford wire wheels because of the raised support nubs inside the studs. Do they fit well with those hydraulic brakes? No rubbing on the shoe sides inside the drum?

RICH B likes this.
  7. '35 rear hubs & drums.

Both backing plates are '39-'42 rear and are missing all the E-brake levers.

Besides the one cable tube visible; both have the clip that holds the E-brake lever

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Stay away from those crappy Lockheed parts and use Bendix self energizing Self adjusting parts.

9. bustingear

bustingear

thanks for the info gentlemen

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  10. BJR

BJR

I am not seeing any e brake tubes on those backing plates. If you look on the back side of them and there is no place for an E brake cable, you have front backing plates.

11. The inside portion of both E-brake tubes are visible just above the lower anchors; also the rear shoe hold-downs have the clip for the E-brake levers.

These could be used for the front by removing the tubes and filling the hole; but rear plates with intact tubes are harder to find than fronts.

If you are running a banjo rear; the Lockheed work good with Lincoln style Bendix brakes (repop or real) or F-1/F-100 brakes on the front.

ClarkH likes this.
  12. bustingear

bustingear

Thanks everyone

Speccie and RICH B like this.