Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Late 60’ Corvair steer box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hot rod Ryan, May 24, 2024.

1. Hot rod Ryan

Hot rod Ryan

I have a 66 corvair front suspension I’m running under my 1940 chev. It has the stock steering box. I know I can reverse it with some work but can or has anyone ran just the factory box without reversing it? I’m trying to have the truck road worthy in 3ish months for Frankinmuth auto fest.

2. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

Why would you need to reverse it if you running the stock Corvair suspension. I have used one with a cross steer setup

bchctybob, lumpy 63 and 2OLD2FAST like this.
  3. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

I had the same question.

4. Hot rod Ryan

Hot rod Ryan

Ok thank you. I was just curious if anyone has done it. Just trying to figure it out, or if there was any tips

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As said above, why would you need to reverse it if you have the Corvair front suspension under the truck? I'd be interested in knowing why you thought that. Pictures might help us understand.

Tips? Take it apart, clean it, check sector shaft bushing for wear, replace if necessary, put in new seals, adjust, lube and run it.

2OLD2FAST likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

The multitude of "WHY" is because the only damned reason you reverse a Corvair box is to turn it into a side steer box with a drag link running for/aft to the steering arm on a tube or I beam front axle. There is no other reason to reverse one.

7. Hot rod Ryan

Hot rod Ryan

Figured it out last night. The arm was flipped on the steering box. So I was looking at it backwards

leon bee likes this.