Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn Signal not working

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vwtype3, May 24, 2024.

1. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Hello new poster here.
    I have a 37 Ford street rod with left front turn signal not working. Back will light up but not blink. I have changed bulb, blinker can( two prong) and 10 amp fuse,no change. Put old items back in no change. Blinker can will make noise when right side light is working. Running lights that are the blinker bulbs work when turned on, both sides. Flashers work on both sides.
    There is no visible ground around the headlights.
    Two wires run from blinker back through the harness. Test light lights up on the prong inside blinker spot but not when blinker is turned on.
    I have Ron Francis wiring and fuse box through our car. Could the problem be in the steering column? Older I Didit column nothing fancy just a tilt. I think ground may run back to fuse panel or a central ground somewhere.
    Any suggestions? It’s always the simple stuff.

2. Start with the left signal and work back to the switch. Do you have power at the socket? Is there a break in the wire? Connection between harness and steering column?

I had a wire come off the signal switch in the column, simular results as you.

3. If you have column-activated four-way flashers that work on each corner, the problem will be in the turn switch. Loose/broken wire or burned contact.

4. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Thanks for the reply. Have power to socket when running lights are on. Turn signal switch on no power. Didn’t check connection to column.

5. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Thanks for the reply. 4way flashers work at all corners. Might have to take steering wheel off to look inside at switch. Ugh

6. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd start with bulbs, sockets, power, and grounds. That should give you something once those are checked out.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

QUOTE="vwtype3, post: 15248912, member: 345842"]Thanks for the reply. 4way flashers work at all corners. Might have to take steering wheel off to look inside at switch. Ugh[/QUOTE]

4 ways working fine means that all the wiring outside of the switch is ok. You can take some switches apart, clean up the contacts, put a little of the proper grease in them and go again. Others aren't designed to come apart.

8. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

4 ways working fine means that all the wiring outside of the switch is ok. You can take some switches apart, clean up the contacts, put a little of the proper grease in them and go again. Others aren't designed to come apart.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply, went to the Ididit website and followed there tech tip for checking power out of the switch. Power is coming out of switch we’re it connects to the next harness. Light tester flash’s when right on but not when left is on but it does light up but no flashing. So problem seams to be out some where else. Left rear lights up but not the front. Have power to running lights in front but no blinking. New bulb, blinker can. Something is canceling the light when it’s on. ???????
    Any more suggestions? Thx everyone.

9. 24riverview

24riverview

Are you checking the dark green wire on the Ron Francis side of your turn signal plug?

10. F&J

F&J

I agree with everyone else, it sounds like a bad switch if we are reading your info correctly. But the last post you made on testing the power.... I think you must be checking the wrong wires, or not checking enough wires from the switch.

You said all 4 corners blink on emergency hazard lights. Like was already said, that means wiring to that left front is not the issue.

So it leads to a bad switch like was said by everyone, and you need to test the output wires on the switch again. I could be wrong but it seems like you are not checking the correct wires.

Meaning, from the switch when it's set to either side for turning, there are 3 blinking wires for right side and should be 3 blinking for left side if it's a good switch. There is a left front signal wire as well as a left rear signal/brake wire. The third wire blinking is the blinking power from the flasher.

upload_2024-5-27_17-22-4.png

11. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Well confirmed with Ididit that the switch is not bad, have power on all the right wires from Column harness. When the wires come out of the other side of column plug it gos into a harness plug adapter from Ron Francis kit. Color’s change, so light blue for front left changes to green. Power comes out of that side is good, I followed a green to fuse box and it lights up with test light and signal lever down for left. So power to that’s good. There is another green coming off the same lug. That must go to turn light. Can’t see where it goes from fuse box.
    Again front running lights work and left rear turn lights up with turn lever is down.
    Must be a break somewhere?
    Again thanks for everyone’s suggestions.
    Puzzled

12. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Don’t know if this means anything but the right will blink real fast now then slow down but still fast.
    All was blinking normal before left side stoped blinking.

13. vwtype3

vwtype3
    from Lansing Mi

Yes have power, all the way to fuse panel.
    Ididit says if you have power out of column harness for left turn signal which I do then switch is good.
    But I’m still suspect of switch. Every thing else on that side lights up. Still puzzled.

14. Yeah, that means something. It still sounds like a defective switch. Now keep in mind checking with a 'test light' only gives limited information. Being a very small load, they'll light up as long as voltage is there but don't tell you if you have a poor connection that's limiting current, and it's current that causes the flasher to work as well as the lamp lighting up. The typical thermal flasher has to see a load in a specific range to work properly. A failing, high-resistance connection can prevent full current from getting though and cause this yet show 'power' with a test light.

Try this: at the column connection, swap the left and right front turn wires. If the issue moves to the right front turn, it's definitely the switch. This failing connection could also account for the right side starting to work wonky.

Last edited: May 30, 2024
  15. gene-koning

gene-koning

You are trying to make this harder then it is.

If you are testing this with a test light and the test light lights up one place, but doesn't light up the next place, you do not have a low voltage problem, you have a total power failure someplace between those two points.

If you have power on the wire coming out of the switch, the switch is good. If you are concerned the power might be too low, check it with a voltage meter. There should be pretty close to 12 volts.

If you do not have power at the light terminal, the problem is between the the connection where you had power and the connection where you don't have power.

Often times, light terminals themselves fail. I believe I would check the wire shortly before the terminal that has no power and be sure the terminal itself is not the problem. It you have power at the check point before the terminal, the terminal is likely your problem. If there still is no power, keep moving towards the place where you did have power.

You have 2 choices. 1) Run a new wire from the connecter that has power, to the light terminal, replacing the current wire, or: 2) Open up the harness to find where the existing, current wire, is broken or has a bad connection.

firstinsteele likes this.