Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Let's finish the 50 Chevy pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Dec 29, 2023.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Don’t forget the proper metric shank sae threaded bolts for that style starter.

2. Johnny Gee and Budget36 like this.

3. When it doubt, use all the colors.

4. Budget36

Budget36

That is a nice price for sure. I ran into a fiasco a few years back with Napa and mini starters for a 350. Wound up spending 130 or so with Summit.
    Definitely saving the information for next time.
    Thanks

swade41 likes this.
  5. I horse traded for this red/chrome gear reduction starter from my mechanic friend, aw man that thing sounded killer spinning the blower motor over, sound like a funny car starter.
    3 different random times it gave me a click but wouldn't spin, throw a jumper on the battery and it would work like a charm, really odd. The last time it did it I pulled the napa starter off the 496 and put it on the blown 540, no issues since.
    When it came time to start the 496 I grabbed the red/chrome to give it another chance, wouldn't even bolt to the block, wrong pattern, the Dart big M block was drilled for both patterns.

20151021_233216_zpsvlnp2rlr.jpg

So I bought that GM mini starter and it's worked great on the 10.5-1 496

enloe, alanp561, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  6. Yeah I bought the bolts. Learned that the first time I used one of these starters lol. I'm good now. All better.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Going on 20+ years with GM’s mini starter in the 56 in the avatar.

8. Hmmmmm..... might have found my new gasser project :cool: gonna take a short drive this coming Saturday. IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0349.jpg

9. patsurf

patsurf

Tickety Boo and 427 sleeper like this.
  10. Fingers crossed!

11. I’ve got fingers and toes crossed for you Brother!!

12. Budget36

Budget36

That looks like fun. Good luck getting it!

13. Doesn’t even need paint

lucky

14. My buddy, state trooper, found it while he was patrolling back roads. Old dude around 80 years old has a pretty good stash. Said the wagon was a drag car years ago. Me and my buddy are going over there Saturday. The old custom paint on it just tickles the shit out of me :D

15. Yea, that paint job was killer. :cool:

16. OK I am in a bit of a situation. Might be simple, might not. I had my temp gauge in the head. And sitting in traffic it was getting to 220, but never boiled over. So I installed another temp gauge in the intake. It has a 180 thermostat in it, it was new in the box about a week ago. Today I started it and let it idle, about 5 minutes the gauge in the intake went to 200, then dropped back down to about 180. I turned the fan on and let it sit and idle. It went back up to 220 on the gauge and stayed there, both gauges are pretty much reading the same. My laser thermometer showed the water port on the intake at 187⁰, and the head at 210⁰, the truck never overheated other than showing upwards of 230 on the gauge. My radiator is 19" tall and 22" wide, and the fan is on the small side. Do I need a bigger fan? Did the same thing with the little aluminum fan on it, so don't tell me to put a mechanical on it lol. The top radiator hose is soft and never showed anywhere near 200⁰. Are my gauges reading metric? Do I need more water volume? More air flow? Did the thermostat stick? Here's a sweet picture of my setup 20240527_115639.jpg

enloe likes this.
  17. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Black out your gauges. :)

18. Shouldn't you be surfing today?

19. Hey Brother, what does the temperature do when you are driving? You might consider pulling the thermostat and seeing what it does.

enloe and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  20. tomcat11

tomcat11

A fan shroud drawing air from every square inch of that core would probably help a lot idling and sitting in traffic.

Last edited: May 28, 2024
  21. I talked to lumpy on the phone, he asked me the same thing, so I drove it down the road about 5 miles, stayed about 195. Got back to the shop and pulled the radiator out and back flushed it, wish i would've taken a picture. It was full of shit on the inlet side, I think I've got it much better now. I pulled the water pump and pulled the back plate off to check the impeller, washed it out good. Putting it back together now. I'm gonna redo my cross support, and put a 16" flexalite fan on it. 20240527_143130.jpg

22. Back together, same shit. Gauge is going to 230⁰, but the laser thermometer shows nothing. Bottom hose is 165⁰ and the top hose shows 195⁰!!!!! Fuck!!!!

23. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

24. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

You need more fan and a shroud. Can you scrounge up a factory type clutch fan and fab a shroud? Dead reliable.

Devin

enloe likes this.
  25. a lot f those gages aren't accurate, go with the digital display

enloe likes this.
  26. Won't fit.

enloe likes this.
  27. Yeah it doesn't act hot, doesn't boil over, I don't get it. 2 gauges showing the same thing. One mechanical and one electric. I'm about to lose my shit. I'm thinking air flow for sure, but I'm wondering if the radiator volume isn't enough.

enloe and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  28. Budget36

Budget36

Just my thoughts here. But in and out of the radiator seem okay.
    But reading from each head is much higher.
    Indicates to me the radiator and fan are doing their job.
    It’s only going to exchange heat of what’s running through it.

enloe likes this.