Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55 Lincoln custom sedan engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jquest, May 23, 2024.

1. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

Hey guys I’m a virgin to forums but you guys definitely know your stuff so I joined lol.
    I just picked up a 55 Lincoln custom in nice shape but no engine or transmission. I know that exhaust clearances are an issue with the steering gear. And mine has power steering so it’s the size of a lawn mower engine. What engine and transmission combo do you guys recommend? It doesn’t have to be a hot rod, but I want it to be sort of a sleeper somebody in here said that a 352 was an easy swap but I can’t find the thread. I’ve also heard that the 352 is bulletproof almost and it would be sweet to put triple deuces on it. I’d like to keep the automatic in it, Also, I have a 351M (told it ran)with a C4 transmission and I also have a running and driving 460 with transmission/ harnesses/ computers / I am very certain that the 460 will not work. Let me know what you guys think.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Lincoln Y-Block (317, 341, 368) and Cruis-O-Matic tranny should be a bolt in, as that is what the car originally came with. They can be somewhat hard to find and parts are not cheap.

An FE (352, 390, 410, 427, 428) would be perfectly acceptable, but they are wide, and exhaust would definetly be a challenge. Auto tranny options are relatively limited for FE's since Ford never put an OD automatic behind the FE, C4, C6, and Cruis-O's are all available with FE's bellhousings. The aftermarket can provide OD options though.

The 351M and C4 would be a good combo. Drop it in there and see what is in the way. 351M and AOD would be better.

The 460 will be a very tight squeeze, but anything is possible with enough time, money, and Oxy-Acetylene.

3. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

Also I want to mention that this vehicle came complete with almost new full exhaust system and on the driver side it runs up and over the steering gear. I’d like to use the exhaust system (it’s kinda intricate) even though it’s only an inch and three-quarter as I am on a budget and I’m not sure if they make an exhaust manifold that will work.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Also....since you're new, you don't seem to have picked up on the fact that we love pictures. So, take several, and post them, full size, landscape orientation.

Do you have a tape measure? That's usually how I start to answer my engine swapping questions.

Tim likes this.
  5. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Lincoln's eat budgets and shit out empty wallets.

Working on a budget you will need the tools and ability to fabricate mounts, crossmembers, exhaust, plumbing, linkages, etc for any motor besides the original 341. There is no aftermarket "bolt-in" solution for anything outside of the original engine.

This is the original setup, correct (ignore the aluminum rad)?
    [​IMG]

jimmy six, nochop and squirrel like this.
  6. sdluck

sdluck

It would help if knew where in the world you are located.

7. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

Lol I would be game to get rid of the power steering altogether because I had a 62 Ford that didn’t have it and it was fine . Big ass steering wheel
    I know there’s not a direct bolt in options but some will be easier than others . I can get a 352 interceptor engine with a four barrel and a C4 transmission pretty reasonable and then it’s just a custom manifolds or Maybe install a rack and pinion?, I have a complete shop and if I don’t know how to do something I know somebody that can

Attached Files:

8. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

Waukesha wi

9. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I made length and width templates for the 490, small block, Ford, and the y block But I just eyeballed and cut them out.

squirrel likes this.
  10. sdluck

sdluck

Hard to make a suggestion,what abilities and tools do you have.What cost and what acc do you require.
    No way to find the old motor?It can be done but Lincolns are their own animals.Trans drive shaft cooling system and wiring,exhaust ps steering things to consider.

11. sdluck

sdluck

Do a search for the engine you need ,you will be way ahead if you can find one.

12. I mean.....ever watch the movie moonshine highway? That Lincoln had a 455 olds lol

13. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I don’t really want the stock engine. I think it was only made for one year.

14. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

What do you guys think about a 1991 302 with a AOD
    70k miles

15. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I have never seen it lol

16. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

5.9 Cummins would fit

17. sdluck

sdluck

Try ford barn for suggestion.

39McLaughlin likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

Tim likes this.
  19. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just to add another wrinkle while you’re picking an engine. Those Lincoln Y blocks made their living on torque, not horsepower. The rear axle ratio reflected that. Depending on model and who you believe it’s either a Dana 45 or a Dana 53. Either of those might be a parts problem for a ratio change. That would really play into a 302/AOD combo in a 4500lb car.

If the power steering uses the same ram and drag link (?) valve as Ford used, you can’t just strip it off. So you’ll need to find a manual unit if they made one or somehow deal with that

20. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

21. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

22. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

23. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I was joking, never on this one, The guy that I bought it from referred to it as a rat rod project he never got around to and he was going to put a 5.3 vortech in it. You can’t make this stuff up

Toms Dogs and squirrel like this.
  24. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I posted in here for technical because there is somebody in here who said they had swapped certain engines in easier, but I could not find the thread

25. squirrel

squirrel

good to hear you're joking :)

The 3.07 rear gear would work fine without OD...unless you think engines should never rev past 3000 rpm, that is.

Sometimes using google to search works better than using the hamb search. But be sure to include "hamb" in the search line.

this is a picture of a quick search, I don't know if you've look for it this way or not

search.jpg

Tim likes this.
  26. Did the original Lincoln engine have a front sump or rear sump oil pan?
    Might factor into your choice......

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Hamb search function has mostly been wonky for me

Jquest likes this.
  28. There are 'manual conversion' ends for some Ford power steering that replace the valve assembly. Whether that fits the Lincoln linkage would have to be determined. The remaining possible fly in the ointment may be the idler arm. Ford used rubber 'torsion' bushings in the idler in some models to pull the steering back to center. Those bushings can be problematic, that should be looked at also.

It also may be possible to 'convert' the power valve to manual use with some minor machine work/fabbing, I've done that once.

miker98038 likes this.
  29. Jquest

Jquest
    from Genesee Wi

I bought it like this so I’m not sure
    I’m going to try what frozen merc suggested. I already had a 351m C/4 I just got back to the shop with this unit heavy af. I’m going to clean everything up and I’ll separate them , check compression one more time and I’m going to mock up that motor in there and just see how everything fits. I think it would be really cool to put a rack and pinion in this vehicle , The engine compartment is already narrow, and you’re gaining so much room by doing it but The front end on this vehicle is very tight. There is no play in much of anything. So I’m going to try to use it.

30. sdluck

sdluck

This forum does not discuss rack and pinion,I don't believe.