Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Achievable Pre-War Supe Job Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by RyanAK, Sep 17, 2022.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It might be cheaper & easier to switch to 18", 19", 20", or 21"

RyanAK likes this.
  2. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a pile of 19” wheels… some even good! I could put rubber on easy and cheap enough, but figured by 1937 a fella would have updated his performance jalopy with 18s or 17s. In 2024, 18” has some of the same challenges with rubber along with the addition of more expensive wheels.

Fronts are achievable with a couple options in 525/550-17. The rears… I think a 600/650 looks about right, and while I’d like a slightly taller rear tire, it wouldn’t be objectionable to run the 525/550s on all 4 corners.

17s I’m considering are Lucas, Lesters (Coker) and the Blockleys. Advantage for the Lesters is a HAMB Alliance discount with Coker and I can likely pick them up at a show to save shipping. The Lesters have a pretty plain sidewall, but they are period correct for the 1930s.

The Lesters are available in 525/550 and 600/650.
    IMG_2702.jpeg

Lucas makes a nice looking 17, but only in 525/550-17.
    IMG_2703.png

The Blockleys are nice, probably my favorites. 600/650, and need a boat or plane to get here.
    IMG_2683.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2024
    brEad and Six Ball like this.
  3. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I think it was @Jeff34 that used them - the blockleys that is - a couple of the UK boys use em too. They are pretty sticky I believe.

Six Ball, RyanAK and hotrodfil like this.
  4. They are.

Me n Roy in the rain.jpg

Kelly Burns, brEad, Outback and 4 others like this.
  5. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Gow, man!!

Spooky and Six Ball like this.
  6. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Waiting on a shipping quote from Blockley….

Six Ball likes this.
  7. 5window

5window

How's the Man, Spencer?

Six Ball likes this.
  8. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It’s been a tough winter and spring for him, Jeff. Thanks for asking. I got him down to the Flyers picnic a few weeks ago and he’s getting his soup job blood up. It’s good to see. Little man wasn’t joyous for a while.

IMG_2309.jpeg IMG_2302.jpeg IMG_2301.jpeg IMG_2297.jpeg

41 GMC K-18, brEad, Outback and 2 others like this.
  9. Told you I'd find one

10. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shameless plug:

The Hitchhiker at Seattle Speed Shop knows. Like The Shadow. He knows…

Seriously, Matt has been a huge help in finding the speed parts for this car. He’s my good friend. He’s also my “touchstone” for keeping things period correct. Thank you, brother.

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have these 19"s for my '26 Chevy. 4.00 dirt track front & 4.75/5.00 Universal rear.
    100_0342.JPG

brEad and RyanAK like this.
  12. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I was lucky to find a pair of the Blockleys that Josh Shaw was getting rid of
    brown dog.jpg

13. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man that roadster has personality…

14. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TWO meetings today…
    image001.png image001.png

15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

They look good! What size are they?

Haha love your work & glad your able to gather things together & Spencer is finding his smile again.

41 GMC K-18, RyanAK and Six Ball like this.
  16. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve acquired a lawyer.

Send guns and money. :(

Doodling during meetings does help…
    image001.png

brEad, lurker mick and Outback like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

There goes your tire money! :eek: I hope it is one who plays the game well. It is all a game to them. Lawyers are the only group if people who exist solely so some if them can be hired to protect us from the rest of them.

Outback, Grumpy ole A and RyanAK like this.
  18. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not my first rodeo. I’m almost always smarter than the attorneys in the room and hold them all accountable. This is about my kids. They don’t know who they’re dealing with. :cool:

But yeah… no tires for the foreseeable future.

Outback, Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox

Outback, RyanAK and Six Ball like this.
  21. Real recognizes real.

22. The Hitchhiker was most definitely not in the state of PA, during the night in question your honor...

23. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the kind words, Gary. I try to dad hard. Spencer is afflicted. But the way his mind works, his focus is intense for a while and then he’ll focus on something else for a while. With the return of wrenching season in the “garage”, I’m hopeful his focus returns to the jalopy.

24. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We’re screwed if that place actually burns down. o_O

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  25. AmishMike

AmishMike

Seems to be some secret story going on between few friends. Losing the car build & interest from those on the outside

26. RyanAK

RyanAK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah. Sorry. I’ll focus. Major life upheaval, ya know?

Outback, TrailerTrashToo and Six Ball like this.
  27. Martinbuilt

Martinbuilt

No apologies necessary.
    This'll end up being the backstory of that car.

Hitchhiker and RyanAK like this.
  28. The details are irrelevant. If you go back a page or two. To the post @RyanAK made on the 15th...he mentions a rough day, several posts down he mentions he may be needing a lawyer. Then he says he's definitely gonna need one several posts later. Now I'm no lawyer, but I'd advise my client to shut his mouth moving forward... he literally can't talk about the details anymore. Simple as that.

Maybe make sure to read ALL of the INCLUDED posts first, instead of giving him a hard time about something you dislike on HIS BUILD THREAD. It's pretty easy to read between the lines and see he's struggling with something greater than a hot rod build thread. Sorry that us talking and joking about that doesn't meet YOUR approval. Giving him a hard time about it is un-cool man.

And

If that's gonna derail this thread for you, maybe it's not the thread for you?

This is more than just how to "build a hot rod." It's a testament to EVERYTHING that life throws at you. To keep you from the goal. To keep moving the finish line on you. The joy. The anguish. All the ups and downs. It's a documentation of the journey. Because these cars are more than the sum of their parts and a build thread for views on social media.

Nothing against you personally Mike. I just think that was a super uncool comment. Period.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    shivasdad, Carter, Sharpone and 6 others like this.
  29. AmishMike

AmishMike

^^ well u took my comment a lot harsher then intended. I have read the whole post, & saw his comment about major problem. Do not mind reading about everything in life around a build; but if we can not get all the details ( & understand why in this case ) then secret code comments among friends do not help following the build. Onward.

30. I get that. But I also think they're very easy to skip over. Or just take them for what little bit behind the curtain you are getting.

Because...

Those posts are for US. I can't even begin to explain to you how good of friends, @RyanAK and I are.... These post, they're more important than you think. Whether you understand the whole meaning of them or not.

They are there, so that 5, 10, 20 years down the line, when we're sitting on the porch telling tall tales, smokey cigars and drinking whiskey, we have documented what and when stuff was happening. There are big things brewing. Both good and bad, and that's life. But I promise, with what this guy and I have in store for content for you guys to consume in the future, you'll be glad you saw this stuff in the beginning while this car was still being built.

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    Outback, Carter and 41 GMC K-18 like this.