Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Root's '64 Cyclone Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rootsy, Sep 20, 2023.

1. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Well she is back on 4 tires. 8” is under it for the time being but is actively advertised for sale. I want to get the driveline installed so I can measure some stuff, make sure the clutch works, headers fit, figure out a radiator…

I also need to figure out a 4 pt cage. The goal to have the trunk bars follow the roof / rear window line and pass through the packaging tray openings. Probably going to end up having to find someone locally that can bend tube.

IMG_3391.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

What color is the car going to be?

3. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Red on red…

4. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Here’s to keeping things in place with the little ford and saving the hood.

IMG_3400.jpeg

5. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I’ve done that before myself…

Rootsy likes this.
  6. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Well as luck would have it I sold the T10 for good $ today. So now I need an appropriate toploader. Willing to drive a bit for the right piece so if anyone knows of a 1 1/16 - 10 input, 28 output, 14” tailshaft length, wide flange let me know. Up in the air wide vs close ratio. I feel a close is probably better given the 331’s motivation and 4.11 rearend ratio.

Figure I will call Dan Williams next week and see what having him assemble one with a reproduction tailshaft housing will cost… I probably don’t want to know.

7. RmK57

RmK57

That’s what I did in my 57 Ford. You can use the backseat if you wish but I choose not to and built a shelf for the rear. It’s an nhra legal 5-point bar also. IMG_0515.jpeg

Rootsy, Deuces, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  8. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Welp. Looks like I am going to make myself a toploader. Bought this heap from FB marketplace today for a few hundred bones. Got it home and stripped down to the case. Outside of the case , shift rods and actuators everything else will more or less end up brand new.

let Project Toploader commence

IMG_3428.jpeg IMG_3429.jpeg IMG_3430.jpeg IMG_3431.jpeg IMG_3432.jpeg IMG_3427.jpeg

Deuces likes this.
  9. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

So Saturday I took a bit and mocked up headers and starter on the motor to make sure everything would clear. As you can imagine interferences - of course.

last year I popped for this spiffy Powermaster ultra clockable, performs magic and makes old women weak in the knees starter…

IMG_2184.jpeg

Well once mocked up and Doug’s headers installed no bueno. Clocked it the one hole inboard and it hit the block.

IMG_3421.jpeg

so today I came home from work and did a little engineering, a bit of ciphering, some layout and a smidgen of machining. Whala. All is right with the right side of the engine. One special note… notice the 1/4-28 set screws in the adjacent holes to support the very thin wall created by the new intermediate threaded hole.

IMG_3444.jpeg
    IMG_3446.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg

Now to flatten the perfectly good and pricy header on the drivers side that sits against my cylinder head..

IMG_3424.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg

10. I got one of those mini high torques at NPD went on with no issues with my Doug’s..not the drivers side shock tower and the passenger side frame rail..

I would also highly recommend you have a good steering box before ya bolt those on…would suck having to pull all that out to replace…from someone that needs to do it haha

11. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

completely rebuilt steering box should be GTG.

12. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Monday I bolted the flywheel and clutch assy to the back of the motor after sweeping the bellhousing in and then lowered the motor into the engine bay. First time an engine had been in this car since 1998.

It was then that I realized I had virtually no room for a radiator - water pump nose to core support is right at 4.5”. So I ordered a short waterpump and associated pulleys.

IMG_3518.jpeg IMG_3519.jpeg IMG_3520.jpeg

I also spoke to Dan Williams and learned he is sold out of original comet / falcon toploader tailshaft housings. He also told me that the reproductions he was having made (like the Kee part) are kaput. The foundry owner passed and whoever took over wasn’t meeting his requirements. Sounds like Dan is winding down. No more website, no email, no fax. If you want something you call him and if it is more than one or two items you snail mail him a list.

I tried calling David Kee 3 times last week and week before and sent 1 email. Zero replies about his tailshaft housing availability.

So with that info I went shopping… $450 later this arrived yesterday.

IMG_3470.png

As of the other day there was a gentleman on Facebook marketplace in Akron, OH with two for sale for $400 and $450.

I ordered all of my trans parts from Kee last week via his online store and as of today he has not charged my card. Not sure how long it will take for him to do so. I have been told “a week” by a few ppl.

13. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

Sometimes you gotta pay the piper to keep the project moving forward. :( Looks like you are making steady progress, though-- always a good thing. :)

Rootsy likes this.
  14. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Shifter and install kit arrived yesterday so last night I threw the tailshaft housing on the mill and D&T’d the bosses to mount the plate. Used a a few pieces of SS (old NM AR Service rifle barrel) for spacers. Came out well though this little mill is almost not big enough for such work. Just need to get some longer lower fasteners and make sure I remember to seal the middle one when I install since it passes through the housing sidewall.

IMG_3529.jpeg IMG_3528.jpeg IMG_3531.jpeg IMG_3530.jpeg

T. Turtle and b-body-bob like this.
  15. T. Turtle

T. Turtle

That does not sound good. At one point I thought about getting a toploader + GV o/d from David Kee when I converted from a 3sp but got dissuaded by my cousin (entirely my fault. Should have listened to my gut feeling); instead I opted for the McLeod 5sp which was a huge mistake and I realize now another box change is likely in the future, but if these two are winding down it looks like a TKX or a T5 (I do not have your knowledge on the engineering side and where I am there are very few machinists with a clue about these things). Sigh...

Rootsy likes this.
  16. Looking good…

Rootsy likes this.
  17. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Well after a bit of a wait everything (but a front bearing support) arrived for the toploader. Everything comes coated in dried RP so it needs a soak, a scrub and a good rinse and dry. Few hours later and we have a pretty much brand new close ratio small block toploader. The billet shift forks are sweet too. Everything went together perfectly, endplays were good, no modifications required.

The bearing retainer is a speedmaster piece and dimensionally is great, machined finishes are nice. Fits the insert in the QuickTime bellhousing perfectly at 4.850. The snout fits the throw out well too. Material seems a bit soft though. Dents pretty easily. But I was concerned shopping elsewhere as advertised dimensions were all over the map for the OD that fits the bellhousing.

IMG_3614.jpeg IMG_3617.jpeg IMG_3620.jpeg IMG_3639.jpeg IMG_3652.jpeg

Still needs a final exterior cleaning, coat or two of primer and then a topcoat. Yoke should be here Wednesday.

next up hopefully my water pump arrives this week and I can finish the front of the motor and move on to figuring out rearend width to get a 9” housing ordered.

T. Turtle likes this.
  18. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Got the transmission installed last weekend. Wife did a good job operating the jack and not sending me to the big drag strip in the sky. Been working out the clutch linkage this week. I have an open tracker roller z bar and rod setup. Have some interferences to correct so I can get everything running in straight lines and then maybe the pedal won’t take a gorilla to depress. Sure hope it isn’t an issue with the pressure plate.

I did go to a billet yoke for 1350 u joints. It clears the tunnel, not by much though…. Ended up needing to move engine forward about 3/4 - 1” to make trans mount holes and tailshaft threads align. That put me at 5.5” from front of water pump to core support. More on this adventure next…

IMG_3663.jpeg IMG_3672.jpeg IMG_3673.jpeg IMG_3674.jpeg IMG_3677.jpeg

loudbang likes this.
  19. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Killer man. Looking forward to smoky burn out pictures

Rootsy likes this.
  20. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Now for the saga of how the heck do you fit a man sized radiator AND an electric fan in this pig… well really, you don’t unless you use it as a pusher or you butcher the core support and use a later (wider) radiator… both of which I don’t want to do.

so once that trans was installed and mounts buttoned up I measured 5.5” to the core support from front of water pump. Realize I had already installed a FoMoCo short “hotrod” pump that gives me another 1.5” of clearance.

I was at NPD buying the correct throw out bearing (cause my Centerforce came with a T5 type bearing) and I said might as well get this thick cold case radiator and fan combo… so here we are…. No bueno. 2.5” from WP to radiator and the electric fan and shroud is close to 4” (I have no idea where they get this 6.75” clearance requirement deal). I also have a factory shroud and 5 blade fan… the shroud is for a thinner core radiator to sit under the top tank. So that looks like crapola…

I am fairly certain I have an over abundance of cooling capacity so I reckon I will just flip the fan blade and use the electric fan as a pusher…. Do I like it? No. Do I want a fan on the engine? Not really.

so here we are for anyone working on a 64/65 Comet or Falcon in the future and wondering how much room you really have… taint much friends…

IMG_3661.jpeg IMG_3662.jpeg IMG_3678.jpeg IMG_3679.jpeg IMG_3680.jpeg IMG_3682.jpeg IMG_3681.jpeg
    IMG_3688.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 8:24 PM
  21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had to do the very same tailshaft swap to install a top loader in my Comet with a factory hump in the floor . What I remember being a treat was the OEM trans mount , a mini 1/4 leaf spring .

Rootsy likes this.
  22. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

oh yes the leaf spring mount… the 1350 strange yoke clears by like half a finger to the tunnel. So I have a legitimate concern about this thing twisting under load and smacking the floor…

notice that the bottom leaf of my rear mount has been welded between the mounting bolts. No idea how that happened but found it way back in the 80s that way and welded her up.

23. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

If I can recall from the memory bank , a 64-66 Falcon / Mustang mount will fit and not have the spring . I know I found something that working , just can’t pull it out of the mind at the moment .

Mine would hit the floor pan with a go pedal to the floor bang shift .

24. Rootsy

Rootsy
    from Monroe, MI

Comet / Falcon are the same. Not sure on the Mustang as I have never looked at using the mount. Nor an aftermarket mount if available.