Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. 20240518_111640.jpg There was alot of excitement on Saturday. Some things happened on the way to the track.
    At the track the first hit went very good. Yanked the tires and took off. Very impressed by the new power. On the second pass I took out 5 degrees of timing. It didn't like that at all. We loaded up and came home.

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    enloe, saltflats, wicarnut and 7 others like this.
  2. bchctybob

bchctybob

You don’t sound all that excited for having spent a Saturday burning nitro. I take it the excitement wasn’t the pleasant kind? More to the story?

loudbang likes this.
  3. A fellow racer had a medical event.

On a side note, the Nitro Chaos at Eddyville has been cancelled due to the rain they have gotten and more to come.

bchctybob likes this.
  4. On the way to the track a driver went off the road do to a massive heart attack resulting in sudden death. I pulled over and got the 300 pound guy out of his truck and began cpr. After 7 minutes I had some positive response. He had a few ineffective breathes and he tried to open his eyes. Do to the fatal rythem going on he was out again. Cpr resumed for another 7-10 minutes. A sheriff deputy showed up. A defibrillator was connected. A shock was delivered. Cpr resumed. The paramedics showed up so I gave a statement to the state patrol and left. I saw enough of these situations when I worked on a squad in the arm pit of milwaukee. Four hours later I got the word he was awake and talking.
    If you don't know cpr sign up for a class. The survival rate goes up from 3 percent to 10 percent if started in the first 5 minutes. That's what saves the brain. A save in the field in these difficult circumstances is very rare. The wooded area wasn't a good place to work a patient. 20240518_094418.jpg

5. Turns out it was a famous racer heading to the track. A jet driver.

6. Oneball

Oneball

7. snoc653

snoc653
    from Iowa

While a win at the track is exciting, you just scored one of the biggest wins of your life. And there will be two of you who will never forget it. Good job!

drdave, Driver50x, Hemi Joel and 7 others like this.
  8. We do it all the time in my department at the hospital. I just don't kneel in poison ivy there. My legs are a mess I had shorts on. Not to mention all of the scratches from the trees and brush. It was worth it. I got word last night he will get three bypasses this morning. He has a long road ahead.

9. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

I was taught CPR in the 80’s when I was working as a Mill Wright. I think I’ve been told/heard that that process has been amended, and that I should probably take a new class. Somehow all my friends have gotten really old so that might be a good idea.

10. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!! Now THAT is a story.

racer-x and 427 sleeper like this.
  11. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian, you're a Guardian Angel stuck in a man's body! :cool:

loudbang, hotrodjack33 and racer-x like this.
  12. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Congratulations on saving this mans life. Most of us would not have not known enough to save him nor been willing to stop and help at all. Thank you for sharing your experience and for being the kind of man that could and did make a difference that day.

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

He's a lucky man having you there at his time of need! Kudos for doing what you did!

14. The worst feeling is when someone has a emergency and you don't know what to do. There were about 15 people on the scene and no one could help with cpr.
    If you have taken a class before sign up again some things have changed. If you have never taken a class please do.
    At work we recertify every three months.

15. patterg2003

patterg2003

Great work saving the fellow. Your timing was perfect. He probably has a family that is really grateful for the road side angel that day. Not everyone is that lucky.

I had blistering rash on my forehead. The mill nurse looked at the rash and said right away that it was poison ivy. She had just read an article on a remedy for poison ivy. The nurse applied isopropyl alcohol on it and it was instant relief. It felt cool and so good. The itch was gone. I was told to apply the alcohol 3 times a day and it will go away in a 2 or 3 days which it did.

loudbang, racer-x, The 39 guy and 2 others like this.
  16. bchctybob

bchctybob

Wow, that was indeed some excitement and you really came through for the poor guy. What a blessing that you were there and had the knowledge and the strength of character to act as you did. Awesome.

17. das858

das858

Proud of you Brian ! Hope you have a great racing season !

racer-x, 427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  18. 40Mike

40Mike

All I can say is;
    You Sir, are among the very BEST to represent our Sport of Drag Racing. Your event-recognition and sincere concern for Humanity, plus a heap of Self Confidence instantly became your moments most important response.

This is and must be recognized as a Special Talent. Not many of us like-thing folk have this concern or talent. I Thank you for your talented help and truly respect You Sir for your fast thinking response.

I indeed wish we had met so I too can call you Brian.

Hardy Handshakes, Michael S.
    aka 40Mike

19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

What a bad ass! You sir are a real human being. Kudos!

racer-x, loudbang and 427 sleeper like this.
  20. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I can only second what Brian said! Correct CPR is really hard, you will wear out really fast, hopefully the adrenaline kicks in and can get you past the 10 - 15 minute point! I was in top physical condition when a problem occurred with a ship mate, after 15 minutes I was done or maybe the medical response team arriving and taking over caused me to feel exhausted. Sad results for my ship mate.

Well done sir.

tractorguy, racer-x and loudbang like this.
  21. Now that the patients name is on social media I can reveal his name. It was Danny Sullivan. He is a regular in our area racing jet dragsters. The word is he is doing great. I have never talked to Danny but I know his name. We were at the same event last July. Our paths crossed there on that day. He fired his jet I fired my car. It was at a truck stop car show. I'm sure they will cross again. Maybe have a beer together.

porkshop, drdave, bchctybob and 9 others like this.
  22. patsurf

patsurf

i'm figuring HE will buy...

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  23. Maybe I'm not looking for anything. Just talk and hang out.

porkshop, bchctybob, Calkins and 5 others like this.
  24. At the track Saturday the tech guy noticed the seat belt and blower straps were out dated. New pieces were ordered. They both have the fire protective covers. Always a good idea on a nitro car. Fire is always a concern. A new ignition grid goes in tomorrow that works off the Bruno brake. 20240522_200603.jpg 20240522_200620.jpg 20240522_200636.jpg

25. The new grid is installed. You wouldn't think installing the box and connecting 7 wires would take all day but it did. Each wire was soldered. Marine grade shrink wrap was used to cover the joints. This is a much better way to do things. Solderless crimp connectors are not a good idea. A tip here Harbor Freight actually has the best shrink wrap around. They offer two kinds. Regular and marine grade. The marine grade is twice as thick.
    This box is designed to start the timing map at the release of the trans brake. At the hit the engine has full timing to hit the tires. A pre programmed timing retard then starts. This is how fast cars don't blow the tires away. The timing is ramped back in over the next 1.5 seconds. This box data logs. On the screen the line looks like a square root sign. More on that later. The new technology of these boxes is amazing. Its a whole new world. 20240523_220027.jpg

26. Does the marine grade have a glue inside of it also ? I've used other brand marine grade with the glue inside and it's great stuff.

SS327 likes this.
  27. If you're having issues with crimp connectors, you're not installing them right.

28. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I do the same,Crimp and solder, even weather pack witch rolls & crimp.
    Especially on race cars stuff (machinery ) with a lot of vibration;)

427 sleeper likes this.
  29. That's the very last place you want solder. Again, if you're having issues with crimps, you're not doing them right.

Field-installed solder connections have been illegal in the electrical industry for well over 60 years for safety reasons.