Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 364 Nailhead Pressure Plate Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, May 23, 2024.

1. I have a 364 Nailhead and just got a flyhwheel for it, a Schiefer 2711A.

What is the correct pressure plate for this? I dont think it takes a typical 11 inch GM does it (as in mid to late 60's 11 inch musclecar, Corvette Chevelle etc)

I have a T10 for it, all set up with adapter bell etc

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1938.jpeg IMG_1939.jpeg

Last edited: May 23, 2024
  2. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got a pic of the bolt pattern on the flywheel?

3. Multiple threads show it uses the 11" Ford/Long pressure plate. Should also have a starter adapter.

427 sleeper and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That looks like that was the one Gary Portillo had for sale. And as said there was usually a starter adapter.

BOSTONCAMARO likes this.
  5. Fordors

Fordors

That appears to be a T-10 out of a Studebaker, those used a longer input shaft. The aluminum plate between the adapter and transmission should make it fit OK but I’d verify you aren’t bottoming the input in the crank when it’s assembled.

don colaps and 427 sleeper like this.
  6. Folders, I need to research, just got numbers off it

Last edited: May 24, 2024
  7. Best part is, I had bought tonnage and there was a new Hays 11 inch long clutch, I sold it off - now realize guy likely had aside for the Nailhead. He had passsd, bought 6 truckloads of parts, all super rare, Hemi four speeds etc.

8. Trans is an AMC T 10 with 2.64 first gear. Here are some pics. IMG_1979.jpeg IMG_1979.jpeg IMG_1978.jpeg IMG_1976.jpeg IMG_1975.jpeg IMG_1974.jpeg IMG_1972.jpeg IMG_1973.jpeg

9. IMG_1966.jpeg IMG_1966.jpeg IMG_1966.jpeg The bell is an Offy, looks to have originally mated Nailhead to Ford. Offy 5031 IMG_1967.jpeg

EVL401 likes this.
  10. Motor and trans also came with other parts, which now make more sense - NOS AMC cluster gears IMG_1982.jpeg IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1984.jpeg IMG_1982.jpeg IMG_1983.jpeg IMG_1984.jpeg

11. Fordors

Fordors

It was the tailshaft housing that initially made me think it might be Stude, I think they had that extra boss on the casting to mount the shifter. And in looking around on the ‘net I think the AMC T-10’s also had a longer input.
    IMG_1015.jpeg

BOSTONCAMARO and 427 sleeper like this.
  12. I never really looked at it until tonight, def AMC. I need to figure out the pilot, a few companies make adapters and pilots - AMC input which goes into the pilot is a bit larger than GM so will need to drill it a bit larger.

13. Fordors

Fordors

IDK about drilling the bushing, it is made of sintered metal. It’s bronze powder pressed in a die with probably 30 or more tons per square inch and then the bushings are sintered, or fused together into a solid piece using an electrically heated oven at a high temperature. They are compacted enough to have durability, but still be porous enough to hold oil which is vacuum impregnated in them at the factory. Drilling or reaming might cause the pores to get “smeared” and affect the lubricity.
    I don’t mean to rain on your parade, I just don’t want to see you get tripped up with something that seems so simple.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    BOSTONCAMARO and 427 sleeper like this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never seen or heard of so much thought being put into something as meanial as a pilot bushing, but you are 100% correct!

BOSTONCAMARO likes this.
  15. The companies who sell the pilot bushings advertise that they can be drilled/upsized as needed. Talked to one of the guys last night, sell tons and do it all the time, no issues they say - we shall see. My brother is an engineer, has made me some one off parts before so I will discuss with him this weekend.

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Fordors likes this.