Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally My '26 Chevy Roadster Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Six Ball, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks! That looks Great. I see that the rear eye is not as as closed as the Chevy. I'm sure there is an easy fix for that. You could use the Chevy main leaf. I was looking at mine today and they are really not bad. Not as much arc as I'd like but I can fix that. Mine have a short leaf on top of each end held by a U clamp. I already have all new hardware , if I can find it. Thanks for sharing this. It is good to know.

chevspeeder likes this.
  2. chevspeeder

chevspeeder

You might have 28 springs. I read that those have the small extra leaves on top. From what I have researched the 25-27 springs did not have those. One source said they acted as a sort of shock absorber.

3. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Mine are from a '29 sedan. The shock absorber makes some sense to me. The shocks are single action and work on rebound. A stiffer spring would help with initial compression and possibly the short leafs in the ends of the of the main leaf would help do that. They look cool. Here is the only picture I can find tonight.
    100_0351 2.JPG

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Things are happening here sorta' roadster related. The mill has a 3 way DRO, both tables on the belt/disc sander have been repaired, the parts washer is cleaned-filled- and running. The lathe is all apart getting a deep clean and some new gears. And after spending 2 weeks trying to swap out fluorescent tubes to LEDs I'm just shit canning the whole mess & replacing it with new ones. It is also the opening week of weed season. It's all one big battle it just changes fronts, one old man against the world!. I'll try and get some pictures up.

Stogy, brokedownbiker, brEad and 5 others like this.
  5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Hey that sounds great! Other than the weeds. Maybe you need some sheep lol

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  6. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

goats work better

Six Ball and Tim like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Might be a better choice with all the rocks good point

Outback and Six Ball like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I have considered goats for years but I don't they would survive the coyotes & mountain lions. My dog got pretty chewed up Friday afternoon. Not sure what it was but I suspect a couple of coyotes, maybe a bear. Keeping a rifle close.
    Got the lathe ready to put back together.

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Have you considered goats with lazers on their heads?

sorry to hear about the pup

Stogy likes this.
  10. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Yeah, Tasers between the horn tips. Like Saint Elmo's fire in a cattle heard. Just have to outfit each one with a a solar panel & battery. Maybe daisy chain them in series.

Stogy, Outback, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  11. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Get them a wireless charging pad like the ones you sit your phone on next to the feeding spot. They’ll charge up while they eat lol

Stogy, Outback and Six Ball like this.
  12. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I bet that would work! Problem solved, I'll order goats on eBay tomorrow.
    Headed to the shop now to put up the new lights.

Stogy, Outback and Tim like this.
  13. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

You guys make me laugh it's great! I know you were only half joking, just haven't figured out which half yet! :D

Stogy, Six Ball and Tim like this.
  14. Twisted6

Twisted6

Amazon may have a Buy 1 Get 1 sale lol

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  15. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Kinda changed my attitude on "weeds"(please define... :D ) lately. Found out that some are edible, others medicinal, & some of the rest stay green when the lousy grass doesn't. Also less work leaving them alone, except for certain areas that are off-limits. Don't use poison on "grass" areas, don't want it on me, wife, or my cat. Stayin' "green" ya know - well, that's my story & I'm stickin' to it. :D .

Oh, & getting the shop tools going... <drool> .
    Marcus...

Stogy, brEad and Six Ball like this.
  16. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Tumble weeds, foxtail, a crazy little burr that carpets the ground. I call it velcro plant. It was brought in by the "wild" horses a few years ago. They don't need to be in the yard where they are a fire hazard and hell on dogs. There are some good ones we call wild flowers along with mullion & squaw tea. I have a book the Paiute tribe did for the schools. It describes native plants and their uses.

The shop has lights again. Won't have any shop time till next week but the next thing is putting the lathe back together. I found the electrical box the previous lathe owner used to run it on 220 where he only had 110. Maybe that can solve my air compressor issue? I'll have to do some studying. All of this will help with the shop cleanup and roadster setup.

17. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hmmm, yah, that sounds like miserable weeds. That Paiute book sounds real interesting, guessing it's for plants native to your area, not here in Minn? Native folks have some real interesting past-historical info, if you can find it. We've some little "spl" weeds that give us hard sharp prickle-berries, friend correctly & derisively called them "Minnesota Diamonds". :D. Don't actually know what they are, but I curse them every time I get to remove them from clothing. They stick to everything very well, esp bare skin, like they have tiny reverse-barbs at the tips. Blah...
    Marcus...

18. When I lived in NM, we had what was called the goat head weeds. I think that is what you are calling the little burr that carpets the ground. Goat head weed grows low and makes the very sharp burrs that stick in dog paws, or even in your skin if you get them.

19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

No, I know goat heads. I wrecked my Cushman in a BIG patch of them when I was a Texas kid. Got skinned. They are a big problem in the valley but I can control them up here. These are like small cockleburs but mostly low. They are not vines like goat heads. The burs/seed pods develop very soon after coming up. I'll be out there today with spray that I don't like using.

Stogy, oliver westlund and brEad like this.
  20. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

here's a thought.... why not just stack the new spring leafs on the OG main.... problem solved

Six Ball likes this.
  21. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

question.... are you building this all back to stock????

here's my bowtie project... making a roadster pick up....wanna ditch the wood wheels, so do I have to getsteel wheel drums???? I wanna go 16's some how....

IMG_2626[8759].jpg IMG_2626[8759].jpg IMG_2627[8758].jpg IMG_2628[8757].jpg

oliver westlund and Six Ball like this.
  22. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

OH, and here's how I got rid of the goat heads on my utah place..... poured concrete over them and put up a car barn.... imagejpeg_1[8745].JPG

Stogy, 38Chevy454, Tim and 2 others like this.
  23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

^^^^^
    That'll do it! :D
    Marcus...

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

A few responses.

I can't afford 80 acres of concrete work. :rolleyes:

I also thought of the using the old main leaf with newer pack. In fact I have a nice 50s Dodge pickup set I may do that with. They have a little more arc that may help with how I want to mount the axle.

I'm not sure about swapping wood spokes for solid wheels. I do think you'll have trouble finding 16" tires that will link right in the fenders. I like your project and if the wood wheels are solid I'd keep them but I don't know where this is going.

No, mine will not be stock. The basic plan is on the first post on page 1 of this thread.

Stogy and oliver westlund like this.
  25. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

thought I'd ask about the project, I read the post, and for me, my plans from 8 years ago change daily...

the plan for my 26 is a ranch patrol utility pick up...don't know much about these ol bow ties, other than in the 30's it was common to make a pick up out of anything with 4 wheels and an engine... it could be a moonshine under cover truck with a false bed floor with storage underneath. as for the wheels.. do the steel wheels use a different inner hub? I'm thinking of using the inner habs and fabbing some wheels on... the bolt pattern is 40's chevy, right???

probley go right by your 80 acres next week, going from vegas to chico,I'll have a empty trailer if you need something from vegas.... enjoy life....

Stogy likes this.
  26. chevspeeder

chevspeeder

Yes, I considered that. The main leaves from the springs I have are badly pitted and need to be rebushed. The new ones are … well new .. and need bushings. I did some measuring … stock bushings worked for one end and I found some bushings for about the same money that worked on the other end.

Six Ball likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

2forcefull, Bring a trailer load of money! Hate to see an empty trailer go to waste. :D Which route are you taking? Vegas to Reno then I80?
    Somewhere in this thread there in a picture of a '26 Roadster with a Pickup bed in the trunk that was an option.
    Yes, this is a decades long project. Life keeps putting it off.
    I don't know what the weed to steel wheel conversion involves. Nothing I have had wood wheels. The oldest hubs I have are '29.

Stogy likes this.
  28. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

just got back from Chico, yes, up twards reno to sparks then th 70 to chico

Six Ball likes this.
  29. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Chico

So just out of curiosity, what was the trip to Chico for? That’s my hometown.

Six Ball likes this.
  30. 2FORCEFULL

2FORCEFULL

bought bert and ernie from Doug...

Shitbox, Stogy and Six Ball like this.