Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Mid Life Crisis 62 Vette

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, May 12, 2023.

1. redo32

redo32

WOW. I'll follow along intently. I've got a couple of 327's that need freshened up and this is what I would like to do. What are the cam specs? thanks.

Tow Truck Tom and enloe like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We're building a 360 hp engine. Now I have to go back some pages and see how this started. Looks good Jim.

Sharpone, enloe and Deuces like this.
  4. Roothawg

Roothawg

That's a healthy cam.

5. Preposterous! Heresy! :mad:

Everyone knows that all SBC parts are interchangeable with any other SBC . . .
    :rolleyes:

WC145, fauj, Sharpone and 3 others like this.
  6. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

With 66 degrees overlap at advertised duration and 10 deg at .050, that cam should be a little lumpy around town. Should do well with the heads and intake I'd think. With decent compression it should be a runner.

Sharpone, enloe and loudbang like this.
  7. AmishMike

AmishMike

Surprised u do not have one of those tools to determine push rod length needed. Forgot what I paid for mine but change heads, rocker arms, whatever, easy tool to use. Basically an adjustable push rod to get correct length. Measure what you end up with & order the right ones. Believe SNC intake & exhaust same length. Big blocks need different length.

Sharpone and enloe like this.
  8. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have one….an old push rod cut 1/2” out and taped for a piece of all thread….locking nuts optional

Sharpone, Algoma56 and enloe like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

I had a length tool for the Hemi, but that went with the car. I ordered another one....should be here soon. I just put in another order for more parts today. And I expect there will be a couple more before I'm done.

10. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

I have always relied on one of these cheap things...
    [​IMG]

Sharpone, porkshop, Algoma56 and 2 others like this.
  11. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

0 deck that 327 if you can.

Sharpone, porkshop and enloe like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

I'm not taking the pistons out this go round...and they do sit down a bit...

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

We did have better gas back in those days.

Sharpone, enloe and Tickety Boo like this.
  14. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just speculating here, but with those head's and steel shim gasket's, compression should be in the upper 10's, correct? That combo of part's should wake that puppy right up!

15. Are those the TrikFlo heads or the Speedway heads and what cc are they ?

Tow Truck Tom, Sharpone and enloe like this.
  16. squirrel

squirrel

17. squirrel

squirrel

Checking pushrod length....first of course, I have to understand how it works. From what I can tell, the pushrod wants to be long enough so that the line between the rocker pivot center and the roller tip center (or the center of the radius if it's a solid tip) is perpendicular to the valve stem, at half valve travel. This will minimize the motion of the rocker tip on the valve tip, and minimize side loading of the valve stem, as well as maximizing lift.

A couple pictures, at zero lift and full lift

rocker03.jpg
    rocker02.jpg

The wiping of the rocker on the valve stem can be checked with prussian blue

rocker04.jpg

this is the setup, with checking springs and an adjustable checking pushrod set to 7.40 inches.

rocker05.jpg

The lifters are hydraulic rollers, and they have not been run, and have some travel...so things aren't quite as exact as they should be. The instructions for them call for .075 to .125" preload...a bit more than I'm used to, but that's what they want. Checking them with hand pressure I get about that much travel of the plunger with the force of the light checking spring on the valve, so I think my results are going to be close enough. Of course the pushrods I have are a bit too short...so more parts to wait for.

On a positive note, the heads are not quite the size of the originals. I think the valve stems are longer, and the cover rail is raised. My testing with a stamped steel original valve cover shows that it clears the rocker arm at all positions, without the gasket in place. I ordered some fancy 5/16" thick gaskets, just in case.

This is the first set of roller pivot rockers I've used on any of my engines. Pretty strange and modern!

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Pretty soon, you'll switch from mechanical to electrical tach! :p

19. squirrel

squirrel

I have an electric tach in my old truck, been in there about 45 years now. But I like playing with the mechanical ones when I can

20. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

Jim, are you building this for a specific event, like the next Drag Week or just general purpose fun?

Devin

Sharpone and guthriesmith like this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Yes.

I'm signed up for Sick 66, a drag week type event this October. And I want to make it go faster, becuase, well, that's how I am.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
    brEad, enloe, WC145 and 16 others like this.
  22. Go Squirrel Go !!!

enloe, Deuces, Sharpone and 2 others like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

Slow progress. I got the new damper on, pan on, heads bolted down. No pushrods till probably Wednesday, so I'm not in a rush. I'm working on the intake now....and sorting out a few things that are changing that I need to make sure I have parts for.

engine23.jpg

Fun fact: I'm gonna paint it all orange! even the aluminum bits.

brEad, enloe, bchctybob and 25 others like this.
  24. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

Sneaky squirrel. So would I!

25. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NICE!!! Make it look like a 300hp 327! I gotta look through my stash of useless shit, I might have a pair of '62 style valve cover's for 'ya. No promise's though, my memory ain't THAT good.
    Or pawn it off as a 340 horse version, leave the intake aluminum and add some Corvette script valve cover's. Only the Purist's will really know the difference... ;)

enloe, bchctybob, WC145 and 5 others like this.
  26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Make sure to try your motor mount on before you bolt down the intake, when I had one of those manifolds on my car last year I had to grind the front of the intake below the thermostat area before it would fit... I know didn't make any sense to me either but I still had to do it..... better now than while the rtv is setting up on the front and rear block decks like I had to...

27. Sharpone

Sharpone

Not to hijack thread but where did you get that tool MCjim? Thanks

enloe and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Heads look a little long as well. IMG_2794.jpeg

29. squirrel

squirrel

I was concerned about the head sticking out too far, but it's flush with the face of the block, so the mount will clear it by the thickness of a water pump gasket. The intake is off a 62 Corvette, so it should clear the mount also, but I'll double check before bolting it on, thanks.

brEad, enloe, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  30. Hope the rear end can keep up to the new engine.

enloe, LowKat, 427 sleeper and 3 others like this.