Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Poly begets a Hemi begets a Model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by wstory, May 21, 2020.

1. I wonder how much you're going to see of each side once the grill shell is in place. At any rate I understand the challenge, the Devil's in the details, eh?

pprather likes this.
  2. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

What an incredible build. Kudos! This content is exactly why I haunt this place. Thanks for sharing.

As far as the headers go... I don't even understand what I am looking at, so if they are not perfectly symmetrical you'll probably be fine. ;)

Are you a reformed engineer or a reformed draftsman? The drafting background is evident, but the engineering mind is clearly present as well. If you are an architect that is ok too. We can't all be awesome! :D

In any event, your drafting skills are showing!

73RR and j hansen like this.
  3. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Are you a reformed engineer or a reformed draftsman? The drafting background is evident, but the engineering mind is clearly present as well. If you are an architect that is ok too. We can't all be awesome! :D
    Interesting observation.
    All of the above,...sorta. I always go back to Highschool geometry. I was good at "geometry". You can see geometry. right,....triangles and squares and circles.. I failed algebra, too abstract for my brain. Art classes were satisfying as well. I liked to draw stuff,....like cars. Became a draftsman always striving to produce a document that would yield the most aesthetically pleasing product, i.e. merging the mechanical with the artistic. I discovered it's called Industrial Design, while working at General Motors, and proceeded to school in that vocation, fueled by an infatuation with Hot Rods and Customs. Worked in that "purgatory" after graduating, as a Product Designer, wrestling with the corporate factions of engineering/aesthetic/marketing until retirement.
    Now I just punish myself imagining cool stuff to do to my cars and the challenge of figger'n how to pull an idea off with the limited resources and talent I have. It's the process of makin a lotta little pieces outta big pieces until you get to an acceptable solution :rolleyes:

4. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

I started my career as a draftsman as well, so I recognized the signs.

I completely understand your path... mine was similar. I find myself sitting in a VP seat managing a pre-construction/estimating/sales office now, but I still use drafting and engineering practices every day.

I dreamed about working for the auto industry, but it never materialized. I suppose this has worked out though... I've been here for 35 years!:D

63fdsnr likes this.
  5. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Was stressing about clearance for the oil filter lines,...until coming across these trick "swiveling"
    90 degree AN to NPT fittings from Summit. (lower pic)
    IMG_6634.JPG IMG_6686.JPG
    And then back to the production of making little pieces. Took halfa dozen attempts to make the connection to the #7 primary,...that 3" section tacked into the loop wrapping around #3. That while assuring that the header can be dropped down between the block and the frame. Not outta the woods yet but feeling pretty good about now.
    IMG_6676.JPG IMG_6679.JPG IMG_6675.JPG

57 300, brEad, INVISIBLEKID and 5 others like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

7. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Well boys and girls,...I've had to re-boot :eek::oops::mad:
    I tell folks, who seem to be interested, "it's not rocket science". Starting off on a project like this is like crossing the creek on stepping stones. You can't see them all when you start but believe you'll eventually find a way to the other side. The journey was successful for the passenger side header, but man, I ran outta stepping stones on the driver's side.
    After floundering around for several days, I came back to look for another route, just couldn't find the space for all the primary plumbing. I ripped out much of what I'd done and got on the phone to Summit Racing for another "shipment" of stepping stones,...aka exhaust bends.
    IMG_6697.JPG
    I'm back to making more little pieces outta big pieces o_O That I'm good at!
    IMG_6693.JPG

brEad, HemiDeuce, 63fdsnr and 7 others like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That shit is frustrating. You draw and measure a million times but you really never can tell until your doing it whether that’s how it’s really going to be.

looking forward to the next round of your pipe bending masterpiece

INVISIBLEKID likes this.
  9. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND
    HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my HAMDer Friends
    See you on the other side of 2023 with progress promised!

10. 73RR

73RR

Bill, best of the season to you and yours!

We all look forward to the continuing saga of the can-o-worms...:p

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's up with this project, Mr. Bill? Hope you're doing ok.

impala4speed and milwscruffy like this.
  12. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

Hey Rockable,...thanks for reaching out. I needed that to at least let y'all know I'm still alive.
    Round Christmas time, motivation went flat, holidays and family and "life" got in the way of a re boot. June trip planning for my gang of misfits, the CanAm Curmudgeons, has been the most recent priority,....before I buggered up my car.
    I decided to address a leaky transmission and rear main seal on the Roadster, before the trip, and succeeded in digging a deeper hole, when the car slipped off the jack, crunching the grill :eek: and I discovered a major problem in the intake manifold. :eek: :eek: Check it out :(

thumbnail(24).jpg thumbnail(27).jpg thumbnail(30).jpg thumbnail(33).jpg
    Grill repair is about done and I hope to fire up the Hemi this weekend. Then,....test miles cause y'all know that shit can happen even after a careful refresh. Major trip with my buds begins June 11.
    thumbnail (10).jpg

warhorseracing, brEad, Tim and 3 others like this.
  13. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you're doing well. Sorry about the Roadster but that's just another bump in the road.

14. AmishMike

AmishMike

How the hole in the manifold? Sorry for all the rocks falling on u

15. "June trip planning for my gang of misfits, the CanAm Curmudgeons, has been the most recent priority,..Major trip with my buds begins June 11."

So, looking forward to it!!

16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man been there on the roadster slipping off the jack...just about the same results too...here's the fix for that...I took a piece of 1 1/2" channel iron and put it on whenever I jack the front end up, only takes a second to remove the round pad and install...works great, never slip off ...if you cant find the material, DM me and I'll send you a piece...Ron IMG_2371.jpeg IMG_2372.jpeg IMG_2373.jpeg

17. Bugguts

Bugguts

Wow! Wow!
    I just spent hours reading through your whole thread and I am blown away!
    You not only have a great vision and ability, but... you document it so well.
    It must be hard to sleep as I don’t think your brain must shut off.
    Thank you for sharing your vision with all us.
    I hope I see the finished project.

brEad and loudbang like this.
  18. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

Man, these are crazy! I made the headers for my 348, tri Y long primaries, secondaries and collectors, had to wrap them all over the place to get them in. I think it took me a year of spare time to get them done, never again, I feel your pain. Hope you work out the last side, they are killer.

loudbang likes this.
  19. wstory

wstory
    from So Calif

AmishNike,...hole was because the mold for the casting did not completely fill. :oops:
    Soooo,....to quote my note of a coupla days ago.....

Grill repair is about done and I hope to fire up the Hemi this weekend. Then,....test miles cause y'all know that shit can happen even after a careful refresh. Major trip with my buds begins June 11.
    SHIT HAPPENED :eek: :oops: :mad:.... on the test drive. After about 200 miles 5th gear went away. I limped 60 miles home in 4th. Trans is out as we speak. Upside is,...shit happened before a major trip!
    In the meantime, the grill shell repair came out primo thanks to a very talented panel beater friend! The insert is new.
    thumbnail (13).jpg
    And Ron, I took your advice before I screwed up my refreshed grill.
    thumbnail (12).jpg

20. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coll.....you wont be sorry