Register now to get rid of these ads!

What OT crap are you working on

Discussion in 'Off Topic Hot Rods & Customs' started by anthony myrick, May 9, 2024.

1. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Just a few electrical add-ons to this ..............

A stand-alone motorcycle motion sensor alarm, and a flashing LED by the ignition switch that flashes when the ignition if off.
    These things don't have a "chipped ignition key" so they get stolen a lot in NZ

upload_2024-5-15_18-25-28.png

While I was on a roll, I also added a stand-alone motorcycle motion sensor alarm and GPS tracker to my Race Car trailer
    upload_2024-5-15_18-40-52.jpeg

This is the GPS tracker , You can "Geo-Fence them to switch off a fuel pump relay.
    But I connected it to a relay that locks the brakes using the winch battery

upload_2024-5-15_18-44-26.jpeg

29A-V8, deadbeat, Okie Pete and 4 others like this.
  2. So my 1973 ghetto barge I managed to get the engine sitting on its mounts this afternoon, tomorrow since I am off work I am hoping to get the entire mess bolted together but we will see I'm not intending on getting up early lol. 0514241828.jpg

29A-V8, Okie Pete, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  3. I would have thought that New Zealand would be one of the only areas in the world that car theft isn't a major issue. I mean theft is theft and it could happen anywhere but how is somebody going to steal car on an island and then once they steal it what are they going to do with it, I mean the population is 5 million people you could almost go door to door to find the culprit.
    Sorry just thinking out loud.
    Giving it a little more thought I would imagine the cars are probably leaving a port and probably heading into Asia or Africa.

As for the little Geo tracker thing what is it called I kind of like that idea? I don't worry about anybody stealing my late model stuff because well I drive junk it's the old stuff I get scared of losing.

deadbeat, Baumi and SS327 like this.
  4. As a fellow California resident I love me a pre smog van.

5. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

We are getting a lot of Car theft lately from street gangs that use them to "Ram-Raid" stores . The Toyota Aqua [Prius C] Nissan March, and Mazda Demio are the car of choice because they don't have a "chipped key"
    They stick their noses up to the glass, and if it has a barrel ignition , they steal it. SO I added a bright flashing LED beside the ignition switch. [$1-50]
    It flashes with the IGN off, and switches off when the IGN is on. [simple wiring and no relay needed]

If a thief does take it ............ I don't want it back [they destroy them] I am just trying to make them move on to another opportunity.

Trailer theft is very common here because they are easy to re-register as homebuilt. The best anti-theft method is to hide it away from thieving eyes.
    My trailer has a detachable tongue that rolls underneath.[easy with a tilt deck] I can hide it inside an urban garage with my race car parked on it.
    upload_2024-5-15_21-57-30.jpeg

The GPS tracker is tiny. It hides inside the plastic control box on the winch
    All the wiring is stealth and hidden inside the frame rails etc [plus a 90-day internal backup]
    upload_2024-5-15_22-2-24.png

There are many other "secrets" on that trailer

6. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

7. Pontmerc

Pontmerc
    from Finland

I have keys in locks.also have mossberg Maverick 88 security, in case some thief is dumb enough try to steal something from my property.

29A-V8 likes this.
  8. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Sons just turned 20 & he’s been building his 96 twin turbo LS Dakota for mid 4s in 1/8 drag racing. We bought it new 4cyl stick no option shop truck , claimed it since 3 years old. Old rodder pal asked him when 3 while eating out with Grand Ma & Grand Pa , if he had a hot rod & he replied ….”yep , I got a Dakota “. You do said old pal ? “ Ya , I’m gonna put a big block in it someday” he later told me I’ll never forget him telling me that so small. You’re a product of your environment …. Flux
    IMG_8832.jpeg IMG_8833.jpeg IMG_0098.jpeg IMG_9762.jpeg IMG_0046.jpeg

9. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Finishing up a 340 based stroker motor for my brother in law…

image.jpg

10. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

It just keeps getting better, now my headers are hitting everything, even though there are a hundred people using the same ones on the same setup and they fit right out of the box. I need to move everything toward the passenger side, but nothing is cooperating. Fun fun fun. The countdown is underway to break out the torch and hammer again time.

11. Clutch came apart in my son’s 2010 SS Camaro and made a mess. At least it didn’t completely make it out of the bellhousing. I’m sure he was just idling along when it came apart. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I was surprised when it started leaking transmission fluid when we started pulling off the bellhousing. I’ve never worked on one of these new fangled transmissions before…. I guess we will learn together.

IMG_9991.jpeg IMG_0050.jpeg IMG_0051.jpeg IMG_0052.jpeg IMG_0053.jpeg

12. Deuces

Deuces

Jesus Christ.. :rolleyes:
    What a mess!...o_O

29A-V8, enloe, SS327 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Balljoint

Balljoint

Enjoying the E85 conversion on my 70 Grand Prix, but I need to take it off the road for a week or so fairly soon so I can install the Gear Vendors overdrive that has been sitting on the garage floor since this last winter. That will make the 4:11’s much more tolerable.

Okie Pete, loudbang, enloe and 3 others like this.
  14. I got "Little Slippery" up and running yesterday for the year, was on line searching (with no luck) for some foot pedals to operate the gas and brake so I can put my 10 inch Superior steering wheel on it to steer.
    I think I'm going to paint it gray like the "Hot Rod" Willys.

20190217_221754.jpg 20181004_151926.jpg

15. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll start back up on my son's '79 F150 4WD soon. We completely rebuilt the chassis, trans and transfer case. We're planning on a cheap junkyard 460 from an RV, freshened up and hosting a single turbo.
    Shop Induction 11 Nov 2022 Brian_Luke.jpg

329184494_545364860900729_3869624385847327598_n.jpg

lumpy 63, loudbang, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  16. DSC03805.JPG DSC03806.JPG This was my last year's project. Really OT for the main board. :)

17. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_9051.jpeg IMG_9052.jpeg Putting anti fatigue mats down in a 75 C65 for insulation. The white pvc tubes are the A/C ducts

Last edited: May 25, 2024
  18. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jeff , Your a good Father . Silas keeps You busy with Father and Son projects.

guthriesmith and enloe like this.
  19. SS327

SS327

What kind of hvac system is that and where did you get it from? How much was it? I like that behind the seat system.

20. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A friend of mine ordered it off eBay and installed it for me a few years ago. I thought it was working ok but Dad said it’s not . So I’ve taken the truck to get the side windows tinted. I’ll check with Jimmy to see where he ordered it . We use the truck during the hottest part of summer hauling wheat

SS327 likes this.
  21. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_9061.jpeg Done except for the kick panels . I drill 1/4” holes in the rubber floor mats to tie them together with zip ties . Also along the outer edges , then I tuck the zip tie under the sill plates to hold them in place . My driver gets upset when his boot gets caught under the floor mat when he gets in the truck .
    SS327 , I wasn’t able to find out anything about the a/c unit . Check out Red Dot . I got a unit from them for the 66 KW . They offer several different units .

22. Balljoint

Balljoint

I looked at a 1961 Chevy C50 with the torsion bar front suspension last year. Had a 283 and only 20+k miles on it, in pretty good shape. That front suspension was supposed to ride way better than the leaf spring trucks and I was thinking about turning it into a ramp truck but didn’t have the time for the project. Pretty neat vehicles.

anthony myrick likes this.
  23. Those are cool. Just got this one a couple weeks ago
    IMG_8876.jpeg IMG_8875.jpeg
    put a coil and some gas and it fired up on the first try.
    Like to use this cab on it
    IMG_5405.jpeg

Okie Pete, ffr1222k, lumpy 63 and 4 others like this.
  24. Balljoint

Balljoint

Just seeing yours makes me want to go back and purchase that one I looked at. Love those big old trucks.

Okie Pete and anthony myrick like this.
  25. IMG_0001.jpeg
    me and my youngest put this together a few years ago. I told him I’d trade him the 2 c60s for this. It’s a c40. Basically a heavy duty c30. Has a 14k gvw. It had the small gm 5/10 19.5s. We swapped over a newer set up from a motorhome. Rear axle and front crossmember. 4 wheel discs and Hydroboost. I’d like to take the front fenders, running boards, core support and front bumper and swap it over to this truck. That would be a 8-10 inch drop just by swapping over the sheet metal.
    I’d like to do similar to this
    IMG_9472.jpeg
    but do not want this
    IMG_9075.jpeg
    the motorhome with the 5/10 lug is 4 inches wider in track width vs the 8 lug c30.

26. Balljoint

Balljoint

Looks pretty nice as is. I’ll bet the disc brakes and hydroboost transformed that truck.

Okie Pete, enloe and anthony myrick like this.
  27. Yep. The larger truck IFS parts were pricey. Bought the motorhome stuff with 7 19.5 wheel for around $250.
    The rear was a direct swap. The front needed a frame spacer we built
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/1961-chevy-truck-brake-question-build.1154321/
    The Hydroboost was cheaper than the factory fame mounted booster.
    I’ve wondered if a Hydroboost could work with the c50-c60 brakes for the other truck my son wants

28. Trying to get trusty rusty to complete it's 2 incompletes so I can get it inspected, no codes or lights, but damn incompletes.
    Might be time to cut it loose or LS swap a Yugo with it.

20240415_152221.jpg

Wasn't even 30 days old when I put it in a pond, took 6 tow trucks to get it out, first 5 got stuck too lol

20200321_130220.jpg

Okie Pete, ffr1222k and enloe like this.
  29. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I'm going to steal this idea!!!
    I have a lot of those mats laying around

Okie Pete likes this.