Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical placement of outside sunvisor 49 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 0nedon, May 16, 2024.

1. 0nedon

0nedon

Hey Guys I have a 49 chevy fastback 2 door sedan. I was hoping someone can tell me how far up the drip rail the 1 st (lower hole) should be for the proper mounting of the out side visor

2. 0nedon

0nedon

3. place it where you like it, then drill

juan motime, Cosmo49 and 49ratfink like this.
  4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'd look at pictures of '49-'52 Chevrolets with visors and see what I thought looked best.

juan motime and 49ratfink like this.
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Put that ugly frigging thing right in the dumpster where it belongs. Real customs/ Kustoms do not have outside frost shields on them . Yes those weren't sold as sun visors, they were sold to keep the frost off windshields in the winter.
    Check Rik Hovings Custom Chronical pages of traditional customs, not one has a visor on it, Only Bomba lowriders had visors.

6. Different strokes! Lot o VISORS in my day ,in my neck of the woods. But then, we hill billys were/are different. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ben

7. Crocodile

Crocodile

Interesting they were for frost, when the majority of them were manufactured by Fulton Sunshield...

8. manyolcars

manyolcars

visors were the first thing removed. they are NOT traditional hot rod parts

9. BJR

BJR

That would be the first thing I would remove from a car I bought, if it had one. Back in the day they were only on old mans cars, not rods or customs. The popularity of visors is a new thing for people who were not born in the 40's or 50's.:eek::D

Mark Yac, mitch 36 and sidevalve8ba like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

dude asked for advice, not what angry people thought of visors.
    they called them sun visors in my 1949 Chevrolet accessories catalog in addition to keeping frost off the windshield.
    Bombs still have sun visors.
    what do you have against Bombs?? when I post Bomb show photos here all the comments are very positive.
    used SUN visors sell for $300.00 to $500.00 they are making new ones that sell for 6 to $700.00 and you would put that in the dumpster??

I was made an honorary Mexican when I had this green car.
    Copy of IMG_0099.JPG

20240517_155454.jpg

20240517_155519.jpg

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's what they show in the dealer accessory installation manual
    20240517_163450.jpg

51pontiac, harpo1313, Packrat and 4 others like this.
  13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My '51 Ford has a sun visor that was installed by the dealer before delivery. I have the original invoice and car delivery report to back this up. I have had the car for 40 years and have come to appreciate it. It's really handy to have if you find yourself driving in a westward direction at certain times in the afternoon. Would I ever consider removing it? Nope. I've thought about it, and to me it would be like wearing a baseball cap with the bill cut off.
    51After.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2024
  14. 49 chevies technically aren’t hot rods :)

sidevalve8ba and 49ratfink like this.
  15. Coolest accessory to have
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

love em

Cosmo49 and 49ratfink like this.
  16. I beg your pardon!! I was only 15 when I bought the 1940 Chevrolet Special Delux, VISOR and all. The next year, at 16 if my math is correct, the first BUICK, a 1940 Special, with VISOR came along. Old mans cars indeed. Later years, a 1948 Pontiac and a 1948 Buick had VISORS.
    I even sold and installed them in the early '50s.

Perhaps not hot rod equipment.

Ben

49ratfink likes this.
  17. BJR

BJR

Young punks were not buying new Buicks and Pontiacs. Old and middle age men who could afford them did though. That's all I ever saw driving them.

18. :rolleyes::rolleyes: New? Not sure I follow.

Ben

49ratfink likes this.
  19. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I like visors on some cars, had them on all cars in my teen age years.

Packrat and 49ratfink like this.
  20. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey @Onedon
    If you do decide to install that visor, you will probably appreciate having one of these dash mounted prism's, that will help you to see the traffic lights, as the visor will impede your ability to see the traffic lights, when stopped at a red light.
    Your results may vary.
    Good luck from Dennis.

dash mounted prism.JPG

jaracer, jim snow and Packrat like this.
  21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev

Absolutely no real car guy would have been seen with a visor hanging on his car until 1976 when LOWRIDER magazine showed up on the scene and showed the East La Bomb lowriders packing them and all the chrome they could get their hands on. No one would think about having one now if it weren't for Lowrider magazine.

Around here the only cars that had them in the 50's or 60's belonged to fruit pickers who had brought them from the Ozarks. You just flat did not see them on new cars sold locally back when they were a few years old.
    Junk your car up all you want it's your car, don't forget the fake port holes and flame and pinstripe decals.

lurker mick and BJR like this.
  22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I bought a 49 Chevy coupe some years back that had a visor which I removed,send me a conversation and I’ll shoot you some pic’s you can decipher .:rolleyes::D

23. Back then a 3 year old car was considered old. Hence all the modifications no one says isn't traditional like Buick side trim and Packard tail lights.

24. BJR

BJR

Maybe it's a regional thing. Just never caught on in Minneapolis or St Paul MN. Until the low rider bomb crowd started to move into the area.

The Chevy Pope likes this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I take it that you would not approve of the "grocery getter' I built for my wife:eek:.
    0.26.jpg 0.25.jpg

51pontiac, CSPIDY, harpo1313 and 8 others like this.
  26. Id say you nailed it. Like for instance my my grandpa lived in Miami and my grandma was from near Miami. Had pics that belonged to said Grandpa from 1957-the early sixties. Were a bunch of customs with visors. Would have likely been more pics of said customs but that grandpa was more into hot rods and motorcycles. But yeah lot of sun and rain in southern Florida.

BJR likes this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

accessories are very popular with original looking old cars. my bumper guards would cost $2000.00 for a set needing chrome. my car had an $800.00 accessory steering wheel.

I bet you spend your Sundays sitting on the porch waiting for kids to walk on your lawn.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2024
  28. 0nedon

0nedon

Sorry to have caused all the problems. Guys Better keep my head low. I was just hoping someone that had a visor on their car would measure how far up the drip rail it was (simple) and tell me a starting point. Each to their own and I'll keep the kids off the grass. Could someone tell me what is wrong with fruit pickers

29. Mmmmm. I’d drive it
    IMG_9246.jpeg
    :)

41 GMC K-18, skooch and 49ratfink like this.
  30. Nothing wrong with hard working folks
    Some folks need to feel superior I guess.

Rock that visor with a big ole grin

Last edited: May 18, 2024