Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects rebuilding after the crash

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Nice Brian, congrats.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  2. It's a very cool honor because the show is a huge Midwest event. Alot of guys see this and will be talking about it for a long time. Nitro fire ups should get everyone exited about the upcoming car season.
    I came to this show for the first time when I was seventeen. I had a 31 model A that i bought. I had no tools no money and NO clue. It was the first swap meet I ever attended. I was blown away. I did have the passion to make my dreams come true. So I look at this year's event as how far I have come. To go from knowing nothing to being the featured car is a very personal thing to me. It's a humbling experience. I'm a very lucky guy and grateful to be able to do the things I do. I have had alot of help along the way from great mentors. Without them I would still be the seventeen year old kid without a clue.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Congrats, Brian;
    1st 3 sentences: Yes, Yes, & YES! :D .
    Marcus...

mad mikey likes this.
  4. The nitro fire ups went great. Not only is it fun for the spectators it gives my crew much needed practice with the new starting procedures. The rain held off during the show hours. I sold alot. The money will go toward a back up lenco. A local friend has one for sale. Having a spare transmission available is a good thing. I'm slowly building up my spare parts pile.
    Has anyone noticed we hit 200 pages? Without all of you following along on this journey it would not have happened. Thank you all.

5. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I didn't get up to see the coupe fire up, {to busy selling parts at the far end of the white field, My best weekend in ages.} But I heard it! lol Larry

racer-x, Woogeroo, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  6. I had guys in the back of white field along the fence say they heard it. I had it set up hot. 50 in the mag and 85 in the tank. Its fun to make the spectators jump on the throttle blips. Those car show guys aren't used to nitro.

Woogeroo, TFoch, bchctybob and 12 others like this.
  7. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Yeah, my spots are on the corner of the second row by the back gate, WX105 to 111. Glad you had a goodtime popping ear drum's!

bchctybob, racer-x, mad mikey and 2 others like this.
  8. I try to only post things about the car here but today is a exception. My daughter had our first grandson. Everyone is doing great. They both work at the Mayo clinic as a pharmacist and a doctor of nurse practitioner. A future nitro racer someday. I can't wait to get him in the shop. Lots of life lessons to learn out there. Screenshot_20240503_093314_Messages.jpg

9. Phil Brown

Phil Brown

Congrats Grandpa, also love the way the car is coming along

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  10. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :D:D:D:cool::cool::cool:

mad mikey and racer-x like this.
  11. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

CONGRATULATIONS!:D:D:D

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

AWESOME

13. Brian ,
    What a day,,,,,you lucky dog !

Congratulations ! Yippee !
    A future Mopar man !

Tommy

14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I think there is a fairly high work ethic in your family Brian, hopefully it gets passed down to the little guy, like you, if he goes for nitro he'll need the money.
    Congrats on the new arrival.

15. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Congrats!!!

16. phoneman

phoneman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Missouri

17. Congrats on being a grandfather! Grandkids are the best! Mine love riding in my 33!

racer-x and mad mikey like this.
  18. Great news Brian, You are now a grandparent, the little one will be looking up to you and everything you say and do in the future of his life. Cherish every moment. Nice looking family.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Algoma56, loudbang, racer-x and 3 others like this.
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Congratulations Brian!

racer-x and mad mikey like this.
  20. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

You will be his hero! Best to all.

21. ironrodder

ironrodder

Wish I'd of had mine first!

22. 20240512_122118.jpg 20240512_122042.jpg 20240512_122028.jpg Sometimes the little things along with some over site can cause the most trouble. I have for the last season and a half fighting the Bruno and the lenco to play nice. Sometimes the lenco just won't go into gear. I have tried so many things. This season it won't go in gear at all.
    On a clutch car if the clutch drags it will cause this. The cure more gap.
    A converter car needs a way to stop the power from going back to the lenco. Any rotation of the shaft and it won't go into gear.
    I have tried lowering the rpm; lowering the converter pressre; changing gears in the reverse and more. I got so pissed last year I ran it down to Chicago to have Bruno personally look at it. It was all good. He even tested the brake.
    There is a loud pop when the co2 is released on the brake. This year its not as loud. That got me thinking about the regulator.
    The co2 bottle has a double regulator. The Bruno needs 200 psi the lenco 150 psi. I setup the regulator using the supplied shims and springs.
    When I checked it today it was at 110 psi. So there you have it. Sometimes you have go back to the basics. It's re shimmed and ready for service. While things were apart I changed the reverser gears in the lenco. I also put the Bruno drum in the lathe. Using some scotch bright on it removed the burnt band junk off of it do to the slipping. It got a new band installed while I was at it. The brake really pops now. A gauge was added in line so I can monitor it going forward. I plan to take it out next weekend.

Last edited: May 12, 2024
  23. Under the blue caps are a spring and shims.
    The large gear slides to engage forward and reverse. The small inner gears engage and the large outer gears engage into another gear. The area with no teeth is the neutral.

24. Some small parts that are essential to make the car go into gear. Regulator springs and shims. The band shows some material was ripped off while it was slipping. There's a new band out made of Kevlar. I have one on the way.
    Zoomie covers were made to keep junk from falling into the pipes. 20240512_125658.jpg 20240512_125704.jpg 20240512_125710.jpg

25. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats on the new future crew chief! Quite a milestone indeed; all the best to the new family.
    And man, every time I check in here I'm amazed at all the things that have to work perfectly together to make a car like yours do what it does. It's a whole 'nother level and as I've said, most of it is way over my pay grade but it sure is fun to read.... and learn! Always been a fan of the nitro cars and I doubt that's gonna change anytime soon.
    Thanks for adding the time to your busy schedule to take us along for the ride.

OFT, 0ldracer, SS327 and 3 others like this.
  26. The car is ready to make a hit Saturday. We will see what happens.

saltflats, Calkins, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  27. My farmer neighbor is now a recently retired machinist. He set me up with this Bridgeport. He wants to use it and the lathe when needed. He said it needs digital readout because that's what he likes. He came over with a guy who's trained in machine repair. Three hours later a brand new read out is on. He said this is not a cheap unit. It's good to a half thousanth. 20240517_052437.jpg 20240517_052449.jpg

28. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

When I got my Bridgeport, it had a very expensive 3 axis readout box. Unfortunately, only one scale was somewhat reliable. I finally opted for a full set of glass scales and just recently added a quill readout too.

Best money I ever spent!

Now making that old girl work to 1/2 thousandth will be a trick. You'll love it!

29. I don't do anything that accurate. It will work for what I do. It won't matter now if there is any slop in the screws

bchctybob and loudbang like this.
  30. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Half of a thousandth... Hell, I'm happy if it's within a half an inch!!!:eek::D:rolleyes: