Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Interesting inexpensive Craigslist cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Feb 21, 2022.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

echo ed and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Jalopy Joker likes this.
  3. kb cookout

kb cookout

4. Here you go 1936 chev coupe, most sheet metal, spare hoods and bumpers, make a good buckees car. 660F4995-C82A-491B-BDBF-36FDA6724478.jpeg Nice rust belt warrior, asking 1200 local dollars.

Last edited: May 2, 2024
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  5. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

6. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

7. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

8. I keep coming back to this '53 Chrysler. Don't believe I've ever seen one on this body style before. Almost looks like it has had a Kaiser-Frazer or Pontiac roof grafted onto it. As a matter of fact the front end and grille of this year's Chryslers shared a lot of styling cues with Kaiser-Frazers of a similar vintage.
    :cool:

bchctybob likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

Note the ad says that the front bumper, all front end chrome, and the side stainless is already gone. This is one of those ads where the pictures are old and deceiving, making it look like a good deal but the pictures are not a good representation of what's actually there. Pretty common on Marketplace, along with the "this is what it could look like" example pictures.

wvenfield, ClarkH, SS327 and 4 others like this.
  10. Balljoint

Balljoint

Seems a little high but this would make a fantastic sled, just needs a slight chop. A 354 hemi would be pretty neat for power but I’d also be tempted to put a 535 ci Pontiac with an aftermarket aluminum block in it and disguise it as an early sixties 421. Just need a little extra cash flow to get if done.

11. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t know how to post a link IMG_6997.png

Jalopy Joker and rusty1 like this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

This always amazes me. Asking $4000 hard earned dollars for an off brand 4dr that probably needs untold hundreds of dollars just to make it drivable and they can’t even make the effort to hose the poor thing off, let alone air up the tires.

13. gatz

gatz

osage orange and Jalopy Joker like this.
  14. I totally agree. It’s this “barn find” thing. Don’t wash off 50 years of crud, you might diminish the value. Seriously? Wash it off, air up the tires, you might sell it to someone who is willing to sink thousands of dollars, just to make it drivable again…
    Actually, looking back at the facebook listing, they did wash it off,(it looks pretty good) and it does include a hemi…

Last edited: May 4, 2024
    Balljoint and bchctybob like this.
  15. Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Jalopy Joker and bchctybob like this.
  16. Squablow, zman, wvenfield and 4 others like this.
  17. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

As to that Crosley station wagon, what a great buy! Just run down to your local Crosley dealer and order up the missing doors, tailgate and glass and go for it!

18. gatz

gatz

19. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

20. Balljoint

Balljoint

The auction craze over the last 20 years has made most people think their decrepit pile of rust is worth thousands more than it really is. Unfortunately, many of those cars will never sell, and they’ll rot into the ground because their owners have been deceived about the true value of their cars.
    On the other end of the spectrum we have the people who will never sell, thinking that they have the time, financial means, or ability to get that old car restored (let alone just running). Those cars too, will rust into the ground. Not necessarily because they were deceived about their value, but because of misconceptions about their abilities and financial means. I understand sentimentality, but unfortunately that plays a large part in this as well.

bchctybob likes this.
  21. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Not on Craigslist but important: 20240505_114503.jpg 0l 20240505_113502.jpg 20240505_113716.jpg 20240505_113551.jpg 20240505_113610.jpg

22. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

If I may play Devil's Advocate here...yes, seriously. "Barn find", "patina", etc. are and have been all the rage for the past decade plus, and pretty much litter the vintage automotive landscape, from print media to social media. It gets people to click through, which is half the battle for online ads, so while I like to think I see through the catchy, fad-like B.S. title tactics, it works on the masses, for better or worse. Better to ask too much at the start than too little.

The price is a starting point, and we have to keep in mind that a vintage vehicle which is solid (some rust, but let's say the floor pans and rockers are solid and not in need of replacement) in WI (or MI, IL, IA, MN, or IN) means it's worth at least $1000 more than in CA, OR, or WA. Now, maybe life-long West Coasters will scoff at such logic ("logic"?), but as a life-long WI resident who has purchased a few West Coast vehicles after having my fill of WI-original vehicles (i.e., rust), I can understand the higher asking price. Again, it's just an asking price. If it's not stated clear as crystal, in black and white, "firm on price", you can offer less.

What's a low-ish mileage early Hemi worth? Assuming it turns over and isn't locked up, $1000? $500?? Oddball body style and defunct manufacturer may enhance or decrease its value to the buyer, but there's an ass for every seat, and I'm not going to judge how someone spends their own money. We all have our vices, but I like to think we can understand someone else's willingness to spend money on an old car/truck even if we (and they) know they will spend more fixing up or modifying than it is worth, even if the initial cost to buy it is $1000 more than we might think it's worth.

23. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I'd just use the doors and tailgate that are leaning against the side of the Crosley and go to my local glass shop and have them cut the glass which happens to be straight!

Sporty45 and sgtlethargic like this.
  25. skooch

skooch

lostn51 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  26. Last edited: May 6, 2024
    Jalopy Joker likes this.
  27. bchctybob

bchctybob

In the Pink, my post was mainly a commentary on the marketing tactics of some people, not the vehicle itself. If one wants to get $4000 for a derelict vehicle, wouldn’t it better your chances if you aired up the tires, washed it and cleaned the windows and the chrome? If you’re 88 years old and can’t do it, pay the grandkids or someone else. It looks like a post from a lazy, disinterested family member looking to cash in, to me.
    A dirty ‘32 Ford, or Shelby Mustang, or Corvette? Of course it wouldn’t matter, but an off brand four door stands a better chance of selling quickly if it’s visually appealing. I’m just funny that way, if I want to sell something, I make it look like something others would want to own.
    The old beast looks pretty good, I would stop and check it out if it was parked outside a local restaurant or something, but I wouldn’t drive an hour or two out to East Cowdung with 4 grand in my pocket to look at it. If it looked presentable on the outside and looked like it just needed a little TLC to be a driver, I might. But that’s just me.

28. In_The_Pink

In_The_Pink

All good. I think the same regarding cleaning something up before I offer it for sale, so we are on the same page...or maybe just getting old. It's always interesting to see/read what something is worth to someone else, as we often aren't privy to that information, so I wouldn't mind seeing people share that a bit more in this topic.

Ok, back to cheap and interesting...

1958 Ford Thames Van, $850--- interesting and inexpensive: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1082890102817941

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'57 Chevy 2-door post, $3,500: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/347736081642109

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'58 Chevy 4-door, $2000: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/961525462319580

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

There was a Brit that was doing a major restomod of a van like that years ago. Lost touch on his progress, I'll have to go track it down. They do have the pockets that rot out, so inspect carefully.

That 57 might be a good start, DD style, if it's not rusted out.