Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snakes...snakes...snakes!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 8, 2006.

1. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

I was sent this photo buy my cousin was in the Texas Panhandle around Amarillo. Rattle snake was suppose to be 9' 1" and weigh 97 lbs

2. Short Bull

Short Bull

My lord!!! look at that the buffalo of a rattler! Hot damn, bring a couple of them big fellas up here. Thats not a rattlesnake thats a slithering death wish.
    I want to see one of those up close before I give up the ghost. I will hand over my snake master to you, I dont need it, never used it hahaha!

BTW, if any Hambers are in Interior, we have some homesteader stew and brew awaiting, hot n ready. hoka hey ( also I dont kill my freind the rattlesnake in wild, just when she's to close to camp)
    [​IMG]

3. jay

jay

The rains have been bad here this year so i am thinking that is why we have seen alot more rattle snakes in my area..I have to go out to the well feilds pretty regularly and to tell you the truth i am alot more jumpy in the summer time around here...the wells have what we call bear grass that grows up to six feet tall and it is like a jungle...thick....then with all of the rains the weeds have popped up.....very thick....weeds plus bear grass=no see rattle snake before he gets you.

Now the old timers around here tell us that this time of year is the worst..the snake is getting ready to shed his skin and he cant see to well so he will just bite first....no rattle just bite.....Now i am terrified of snakes...i am not a fast runner normally but when a snake is present i can not only run...i can jump really far...At work no fire arms are allowed...so i have broken my fair share of shovels...trying to get away from the snake...Sorry axel there isnt to much left of the rattle after i am done with the thing but i will get my friend to cut the next one off...record for this year at the shop is 14 buttons.

Where this story is going is i decided to go out with some friends tin hunting a couple of weeks ago...yeah they found some stuff in an arroyo...i should have stayed in the truck....but oh no....the lust for rust was to powerful so there i went looking at these treasures....well i wasnt to worried i mean i did have my 9mm with me so i felt safe..alot safer than when i have my shovel at work....well i was working around all of this neat stuff and something just caught my eye that didnt seem to fit in...well actually it fit in really well with the weeds..it just didnt fit in with me...big snake...well big to me 3ft...so its doing its i'm going to get you thing and i'm doing my i'm going to nail you thing and 15 rounds later the snake is still there...saying in snake talk what the heck was that....So my buddies come running over to where the last shell casings are landing and where there is nothing but dust clouds from my feet heading the other way...and they are stoked....they killed it..thats how i know it was three ft long they showed it to me at a very safe distance...12 buttons to add to the collection...

They told me that i need to work on my adrenaline reaction...i think i'm just fine...snake stays well away from me... neither of us will get hurt when i'm trying to get away..next time i'm taking a 12 guage....at least all i have to do is get the shot in the general area

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Two of three out by our shop this summer, all three of which were skinned and tanned, and are in my wife's china cabinet
    [​IMG]

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I hate brown recluse spiders more than snakes

6. BinderRod

BinderRod

Last weekend I killed a copperhead just outside of my shop door. It was around 18" long and had beautiful markings. He looked much better to me after I took his head off with a shovel. From the size it was I hope there is not a nest of them.

I also committed the worst sin. I told my wife about it. I now have a new way of looking real close at things before I step.

7. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Said it all in another post the 9 most deadly snakes on the planet are Australian, lets have a snake fight!

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Holy crap. It snows here, thats about the extent.

9. CedarSpeed

CedarSpeed

so i'm 21 or so at the tim and dad just bought a 72 duce and quarter to make a cruiser outof. We had shaved the back handles, twin frenched antennas, and dropped the shit out of it. Well me and my girl friend had met my folks and traded out vehicles for the evening so we're crusing the buick and i tell my girl to get the cds that fell behind the seat, its dark and she's feeling around and lets out one hell of a scream and i'm like wtf? she said i just grabbed a snake screeeech locked the brakes as i whip into a parking spot in the shopping manor we cruise in whip on the light and a snake about 2 foot long is crawling behind the rear seat. long story short i coulnt find it so we head home and she is watching with a flash light a spots it again, i whip into a gas station and couple minutes later the rear seat is out of the car and I have emptied the trunk. spot him in the wheel well and squash the shit out of him. All that as a officer pulls in and asks wht the hell am i doing at 11:30 with the seats and trunk emptied all over the lot (buicks have big ass trunks and it was full of tools and all kinds of shit) i show him my trophy and he says well umm have a nice night. I told my parents the next morning and you would have thought my mom touched the snake she had a shit hemmorage. funny to look back at it now. also pulled back a car cover on a car in the shop and this big ass snake skin is in the headlight cavity i nearly shit my self as i was inches fro this and it was the last thing i expected 5 minutes later i come back and realize it is only a skin. I HATE SNAKES!

10. murph

murph

Damn, I recognize that fence. The "beer recycling center" used to be right through that gate. LOL

-murph

11. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

jebus...i haven't laughed that hard in a long time........thank you for being so skittish.
    my fiance's dad is a lil more scared of 'em than you....he woulda added a wet spot as well:D

12. il Revrunde

il Revrunde

fuck that!:eek:

13. Found this:
    http://www.highway60.com/mark/brs/bite.asp?Msg=90

dude I find at least 2 every day in my shop and house, big bastards too, size of your hand. I always leave them alone, I figured they were probably killing off everything smaller than them. Thought they were harmless. Guess I was wrong.

14. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Only one snake story here, I hauled my wifes 47 buick home, twas all stock and had the entire rotting interior in it (lotsa nesting material) tore into the interior ripping all the seats/door panels out and got the front seat yanked....under the passenger side of the seat is a heater box that heats the rear of the car and it has a baffle/cover on top of the core, I saw a black snake tail sticking out of the end of the box...I figure no big deal, just a little garter snake, I'll fish him out. So after makin some racket to try and get him to show his head (the cover is welded in place so I couldnt undo it very easily) he finally pokes his head out....and it was NOT a garter snake, red black and yellow stripped coral snake, I freaked out as the car was in my garage at that point, (dem are poison!) I ran upstairs grabbed my sig 9mm loaded up 14 rounds of snake shot and told the wife to stay in the house (as I'm running out the door armed) stuck the barrel in the general direction through the windo and squeezed 7 rounds off, glanced in and still saw movement, and emptied the rest of the clip in as well. there wasnt much snake left, I did have a cop at the garage door a few minutes later (luckly I already stowed the weapon and cleaned up the brass) lold him I was using my "hot riveter" which sounded like a gun (yeah right...hot riveter alright) good part was I was planning on removing and filling that hole anyway....it just made it easier to get the core out

2nd story (not snake related but rodent/reptile related
    A friend of mine gave me a wayward mistubishi eclipse that was a stolen recovery that had been sitting in a storage area for a LONG time (in florida under a tree) I was gonna fix it up and get it running and flip it ( which I ultimatly did) well we tow strapped it home the 12 or so miles after we cleaned the moss and growth off the windows, the interior stunk like piss and you could tell a good portion of the forest called the interior home. I hopped in got it home and was pulling the interior out to take it to the local DIY carwash to clean all the piss out of everything, I heard a rustlin under the drivers seat and like a jackass stuck my head in the floorboard and looked under there, where I was face to face with a komakazi squirl which came shooting out at mach 3 over my head and into the yard, I ended up flat on my back with my heart rate sufficiently higher than it originally was....I also pulled out and set free 28 tree frogs....looks like they had found a breeding ground...

15. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"any of you guys come across a rattlesnakes rattle i want one to hang from my rear view mirror..."

I brought one home once...
    Many years ago I lived in Colombia...everything in Colombia was Very informal.
    Like the zoo--cage bars were often farther apart than the width of the resident animals, and they were free to stroll out, mix with the tourists, and wander back to the cage in time for supper.
    Near the snake pen, I found a recently shed hide from about a 4-foot rattler, outside the cage, of course.
    I took it home as a souvenier. My own zoo was nearly as diverse as the town one...I was met at the door by my Coati Mundi, who immediately bared fangs and came at me with an expression rather like that badger shown a few posts back. I dropped my trophy hide and backed off. The Coati leapt onto the thing, tore it to shreds, and ate it.
    I realized why I had never seen a snake in our yard!

16. RatBone

RatBone

My buddy had a pet snake he would take everywhere with him. It was some kind of python real big. He had an old Caddy sedan and one day he shows up without the snake so we ask where it is. He said it crawled up in the dash and wont come out. I guess it liked the warmth under there or something. Anyway it stays up there for a long time, they can go a while without eating.
    So one day he shows up in a buddies car and we ask where is the Caddy? He tells us he sold it. Did you get the snake out? No the bastard never came out. Did you tell the people who bought it? Hell no, who would buy a car with a snake in the dash?

We laughed so hard I almost threw up. I just hope when that thing came out that no one was hurt.

Story #2, I let my friend borrow my car to go to Wyoming he comes back and I say did you take care of the car? I go to open the passenger door and he tells me not to open it. Im looking at him like what? He says look on the pass floor. I see a wound up rattler on the floorboard and my tire iron on the seat. He tells me he drove for 400 miles with that thing. He kept knocking it out because he eats them and wanted it fresh. He still has the skin its about 6 foot long hanging on the wall. Crazy bastard.

17. BigT

BigT
    from Memphis

When I was about 15 my Dad picked up a door for a 69 camaro that was in the back of a truck headed for the crusher. When his friend who wanted the door showed up he had me and my brother go load it up for him. We were half way accross the yard when a 3 foot copper head crawled out. In unison we dropped the door without having to say a word to each other. I don't know what scared me worse, the snake crawling out or when pop pulled a .22 pistol out of his pocket and shot it without any warninig. Good Times

18. axle

axle
    from Drag City

man, these stories are crazy! i never knew those rattlers got so big!?!?!?

19. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

I Love this post, since I am TERRIFIED of them, I have way too many stories! But indulge with me for one more. Right after I got married, my wife and I are at the local mall shopping, when we come up to the pet store. Well the wife wants to go in and look at all the cute little puppies and kitties. She knows that I freak around snakes and most pet stores have them, I do not want to go in. So she goes in and looks and comes back out and wants me to come in and look she says that there are no snakes by the puppies. Reluctantly I agree, we walk down looking at all the puppies and as I turn around to leave right in front of me is an aquarium with a crap load of them bastards. I do my normal freeze, heart at 10,000 mile thing. Well, the it’s time to get the F*** out of here finally kicks in and I made a Bee line for the exit. Never mind the store displays, kids and parents in my way or Lord for give me! the little old lady that was unlucky enough to me in my path I was like a linebacker going in for the winning TD. I knocked this little old lady flat on her butt and did not slow down for anything else, It looked like a tornado had gone through the store I knocked over displays and who knows what else to get out of there. I get outside the store with the wife hot on my tail along with store employees that have no idea what is going on. My wife is trying to explain to the store employees what happened when the Mall Security show’s up! I am setting on a bench shaking like a leaf and trying to calm down. My wife is telling everyone that I’m terrified of snakes and she had checked and did not see any and she’s so sorry, when out comes the little old lady, she evidently had heard or been told what happened she walks over to my wife and tells her “Honey it’s ok a lot of people are afraid of Snakes, I don’t like them either, but your husband is the first person I have ever seen go crazy over a bunch of lizards!” To this day I swear up and down they were Snakes, but I damn sure was not going back in to find out. Lizards are just Snakes with legs!!!

I'll try and make this my last post to this thread:(

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I went to brush my teeth a few weeks ago and when I got to the cabinet there was a fucking snake peering out at me from the corner, I 'bout shit my jammies and screamed like my hair was on fire.
    I noticed it wasn't moving much and I realized it was dead, I opened up the cabinet and it's ass-half was missing.
    It turns out that my lovely wife had put it in there to 'surprise' me, I 'bout wanted to punch her lights out, what a mean thing to do to an old heart patient.

BTW, I'm going to Gatorland Zoo for a private party this weekend, all kinda ferocious Steve Irwin hatin' critters over there.

21. uc4me

uc4me

geeeez...I'll take the snow and cold any day over 6 foot rattlers

22. flatoz

flatoz

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Shit, over here we used to use the call of "Snake' to cover up an "Unlawful discharge" on Ex. The powers that be caught on, no matter what happens, snake, crocodile, dinosaur etc, you fire without sighting the enemy or without orders and its 14 days pay and 28 days in the klink for blank, then it gets serious for live rounds. I00 rounds of .50 blank would net you a years incarceration over here for that! Man I knew I joined the wrong Army.
    Doc.

24. Mutt

Mutt

Both of my cats bring me the black snakes they catch around the garage. They think it's great fun to chase them, throw them in the air in the yard, and pounce on them. The little female cat can hear a snake moving through the grass from across the street.

Mutt