Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roddin' Through Scenic North Centeral KS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beemer, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Beemer

Beemer

Fellow HAMBr Nosurf and I got our cars out today for a good ol' fashion cruise through the countryside. It was a great day for a drive and I think we managed around 60 miles round trip. I'm not a great wordsmith, so luckily my girlfriend was along to take some pictures:

We start off in greater metropolitan Talmage, KS with Jay "servicing" his car:

[​IMG]

First stop was the booming town of Manchester, KS (find that one on a map!) for a little afternoon shopping. Really kind of a neat old building; sandstone on three sides with a tin and cast iron front. I think the Patent date cast into the trim was 1887 (for those architecture types).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Jay tailgating me:

[​IMG]

Next stop was an old drive-in in Abilene. At this point we're about an hour into the cruise and dieing of thirst. Here's where Jay got the "it'll be nice when its finished" and "when is it gonna get finished" comments from a nice older lady. Been a while since that place last saw cars of this vintage!

[​IMG]

Last stop was Old Abilene Town, purely because it makes a decent back-drop for a final pic for the HAMB (no other reason to stop there:D ) On our way here though, Jay and I did manage to line up at a stop light. My car stumbled off the line, and he took me (damn dual 94s:mad: ).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was good to just get out and drive. No destination, no deadline, just drivin'.

2. Nice guys! I am from Hutchinson, well i lived there last in '95 but I know them parts and it's cool to see it again with nice old hotrods- thats what it's all about. It's stuff just like what you guys did that makes it real hard for me to understand guys that get into the hobby just for recognition or how many awards they can get etc. etc. and get all butthurt when it doesn't happen...they are missing the point bigtime. This is what it's all about- have fun while the weather lasts out there, you'll both be freezing your asses off soon....lol

3. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Looks like alota fun!

4. guiseart

guiseart

I called Jay and caught him coming in the door from your little "jaunt" around Kansas... sounds like you all had a good time. All us Kansans should do that sometime... maybe at NoSurfs next BBQ?

5. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Hey Dude, that sounds like a great time. Glad to hear you are getting out and having a ball.. Those coupes look hitting the road together.

Hope to hit the road with you guys some soon.

jeff

6. Very nice, Thanks.

7. NoSurf

NoSurf

Hey Chris that was fun! Thanks for posting the write-up and pics. I love that last shot.

8. AHotRod

AHotRod

Having lived in Olathe Kansas and I've traveled all of that area, there are lot's of great old towns out there. Looks like you had a relaxing good time.

9. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Nice. That looks like a lot of fun. I'm so jealous.

I hear there used to be some sort of similar event in Kansas City every year. A few more people, a few more stops. Kansas City Power something or other? Wonder if that will ever happen again? :)

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Looks like you guys had a blast! I LOVE afternoons spent like that.

11. My '38 has been down since Shades of the Past with a dead generator.

The leaves will be changing here soon. You guys just inspired me to get it running again so I can take off work one day & just ride.

Thanks for the pics.

JH

12. Nick32vic

Nick32vic

those are always fun

13. sodas38

sodas38

Great pics and nice country side. I am jealous as well.

14. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

um... take a HINT... haha.

NoSurf that rules!!!!!!

15. surferfletch

surferfletch
    from FL

Makes me want to head out there and ride with ya Nosurf! Maybe this summer!

16. 34underglas

34underglas

We gotta do that this spring!!!
    there are alot of those small towns around Kansas, just waitin' to be invaded!!
    I say we plan to take over Ness City!!

y'all are makin' me homesick!!!

Vance

17. Tsquared

Tsquared
    from Pratt, Ks.

Hey Jay!
    There ya go again ... Out havin fun..Is that all you ever do ??

Looks like you guys had a great time!!

Tom T.

18. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

Wow nice pics the old buildings look great theres a story to be told there. Looks great with the 2 cars out front. Gotta love it. Thanks guys for the walk down memory lane. John

19. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

It CAN'T get any better than that! Afternoons spent like that are why hot rods will be around forever - in my humble opinion.

John, aka "oldandkrusty"

20. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

looks like a blast buddy, those are some great pics.

21. JayD

JayD

That's what it's all about IMHO.....driving! My wife and I drove the '53 from 100 miles north of KC to St Louis, using nothing but two lane all the way, two weeks ago. Took us 11 hours, because we stopped ALOT. Antique shops, wineries, and for meals, and took our time! We had a blast.

Drove all over St Louis. To the inner city, by the Arch and brewery, and to the historic district.

Coming home we ran interstate for about half the way, we were ready to get home. Only one hiccup, we gassed outside of Dover and about 5 miles later, rolled to a stop.......dead. Something is floating in the tank, and the fuel pump sucked it into the fuel line and shut us off. 45 minutes later, I found the problem and blew it out and we were back on the road again. 800 miles round trip.

We're ready for another road trip, maybe to Arkansas this time, and hopefully with pictures.

Get out there and DRIVE!!

22. Beemer

Beemer

Sounds like a great idea. Hopefully by April I'll have my new flathead together and I won't leave such a trail of blue smoke everywhere I go.

23. neato! We were in Colorado all last week and it really feels good to be home again. I don't care what anyone says, I love the prairie.

I'll join you guys in a year or so :)