Register now to get rid of these ads!

Converting a 2 door hardtop to a convertible 56 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Duke

Duke

Has anyone cut the convertible parts off of a car and put them on a 2 door hardtop? I have a rust free 56 buick super and have just had an offer of a rotten (really, really bad) convertible with all of the top parts. I have been told that the conversion can be done in 40 hours. Has anyone done this? What should I pay for a car that only the top is of any value (no other good parts on the car)?

Thanks

2. Convertibles have a much beefier frame . You will want to try and duplicate the x-member of the convert and any other bracing that the convert body has that the 2 dr. ht doesn't have. If you don't you may have a real flrxible car with inconsistent door fit and cowl shake. As for it only taking 40 hours I would say tha is very optomistic.

Charlie

3. atch

atch

i'd spend more than 40 hours just scopin' it out and formulating a plan of attack.

lots of stuff looks like it's the same but really isn't. double check the doors, rear quarter at the glass, frame, floorpans, etc.

4. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

I did it on my 52 Chevy. It added 2 years to the build. Would I do it again?

HELL NO!!!!!!!

Am I glad I did it?

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst part was getting everything to line up after chopping the top. Door glass, the top itself, the quarter winddows etc.

I was fortunate that the donor car had the crossmember still usable because it was buried underground for 30 years where no oxygen could get at it. No oxygen, no rust. Charlie is right you must use a crossmember from the donor convert or make a real healthy one or the car will fold up like an accordian.

B:)B

5. Squablow

Squablow

I did this to an O/T '72 GTO. Used a '69 Buick Skylark as a donor, and it was wasted. Worked out really good, but took WAY more than 40 hours. Working on weekends, I think I spent 6 months doing it.

But yes, it's very doable. My GTO turned out great, top works great, and was well worth it. Of course, I didn't chop mine like Bob did, that made it a lot easier.

I'd definitely do another one if the right two cars came along. Starting with a two door hardtop is the way to go. If you do it, let me know, I'll try to share what I learned with you. Just make sure you do the frame work first, BEFORE you cut the roof off!

6. The Buick convertible should have a large X crossmember added to the frame, you need this part, it may have a few more body mounts - look for an 1956 Motors magazine (maybe on eBay), they have frame diagrams in them, in fact I will check through mine and see if I have a 55 or 56.

We have a '57 here and it may have some heavier gussets on it but the only major differences in the diagrams are a couple of additional mounts.

To do it right you need the top, header, top mounting supports, cut out the pinch-weld area that surrounds the top well, some guys swap over the entire cowl and re-hang the quarters - some convertibles use a different rear wheel doghouse. The rear seat and rear interior panels are different, too.

This amounts to a rebuld from the ground up - it can be done and will likely double the value of the car when it's done, but it is not a 40 hour job, especially if the donor is rotty and the parts need to be reconditioned to use.

Don't forget you need to swap the fuse block, add the top switch and wiring too.

7. Just put a carson top on it, reinforce the frame , keep it simple! Mark

8. Duke

Duke

Thanks for the ideas guys. I have one more snag now- I found out the vert is a 55 Riv and mine is a 56 Special. I think they are the same, but I need to do some measuring before I drop the money on the vert.