Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Locking Model A hood?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greenblade, Jun 2, 2023.

1. Greenblade

Greenblade

I am going to run a full hood on my model A and I was wondering, other than the standard hood clamps used to hold down the hood, is there any type of aftermarket lock I could use? Locking clamps? I'm thinking this just to keep prying eyes away while im away from the car. Im toying with the idea of semi-daily driving the thing when it's ready, so security is something I'm looking into. But I could just be overthinking things.
    Thoughts, suggestions?

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  2. I can dig through my collection or you can see if your dad has some old Rodders Digest mags from the 90s. I remember an article about various types of hood latches. One that comes to mind has a tiny access hole you insert an allen wrench in to access the hidden bolts that hold the hood shut at the lower edges of the side panels.

05snopro440 and Tow Truck Tom like this.
  3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Your are worried about what exactly? Someone opening your hood and looking at your cool motor while the car is sitting in a parking lot? Probably overthinking things a bit, no? Life is too short to worry about the other monkeys running around the zoo. Build It, Drive It, Have Fun.

4. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Allen headed Dzus fasteners would fox the casual browser. SoCal do a set with a slight dome on them, and chromed.

The question reminds me of an incident in the carpark outside of a classic car autojumble. Sitting amongst the assorted daily drivers and odd classic was a hotrodded 30's Wolesley. A beautifully detailed and finished, with candy paint and all. A know it all duffer says to his buddy " that looks interesting, I wonder whats in here" and proceeds, much to my surprise, to unlatch the hood side and then, to my horror, just tosses it open with panels smashing into one another as one might do with an old tractor or beater or something. I walked.

Chris

WalkerMD and Tow Truck Tom like this.

5. 62rebel

62rebel

Honestly, I'd rather NOT lock up an engine compartment in case something goes tits up

da34guy, SS327, dana barlow and 2 others like this.
  6. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Hook up a microswitch to the horn. Scare the crap out of them

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Quik Latch
    [​IMG]

They make locking versions as well, but you'd have to have the key readily available for an emergency situation. Same with Dzus fasteners.

8. junkman8888

junkman8888

Looking though my info Dennis Weber from Weber's custom studio in San Marcos, Calif. had a three-way hidden hood hinge and latch kit, also Hagans had a hidden hood-hinge kit to which a hidden cable could be adapted (remember the Ford pickups that had locking hood release cables?) Hope this helps.

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Like these ? IMG_0160.JPG

10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I purchased my first Model A in 1968 and never had a problem with someone opening the hood. I have owned my Deuce roadster since 1998 and again, never had someone open the hood. Why go thru all the trouble?

11. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

Once you start thinking that ( regardless of why ) It gets in your way, and things you need to focus on get affected.
    This I can share, today I would never put a finger tip on someone's ride.
    As a younger teen, no one around, I gotta see what's in there.
    I'm grateful to still have most of my teeth.

12. Budget36

Budget36

Your concerns are not unfounded.

I know this won’t help you, but on my ‘57 Chevy PU I fashioned up a catch to have a chain off the hood catch, and a chain hanging down so I could lock it. I didn’t pass a tech inspection a few weeks earlier at a drag strip. Something about a secondary catch set up.

On the chain was a plastic covering like used on tailgate chains. Always was 3-4 links too long.

I recall heading home one night and at speed the hood was sorta flopping up and down. I pulled over and then noticed the hood had been unlatched.

Someone tried to open it.

13. Your overthinking it, someone opening the hood is rare although it has happened.

I've been playing with Model A's and Deuces for 50 years and never had anyone try to open the hood. HRP

14. I'd just put a sign in the windshield: "I'm not watching over my car at the moment.... But my Rottweiler is!"

clem likes this.
  15. Over 35 years and 175k miles on my early Ford rods. Parked overnight in city parking garages, etc. dozens of times.
    ONLY bad problem was a set of reproduction Red Crown tire valve caps taken, by kids no doubt.
    Get in it, drive, smile. This IS the life!

da34guy and daylatedollarshort like this.
  16. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

I lost six "air cleaners" after beating a guy in shuffleboard. Months later when a float stuck while I was pressurizing the system and set it on fire, I was glad to not have to open a hood and before I could put it out.

17. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’ve seen people open my doors, stand on the running boards etc through the years, so I can see having the hood lock. Just a single dzus fastener would be enough to deter people.

05snopro440, SS327 and Budget36 like this.
  18. I would think a small chain on inside of hood, and a small loop on inside of frame rail with a padlock to connect them when the hood is unlatched and raised a couple inches.

Tman likes this.
  19. SS327

SS327

How can some of you guys say don’t worry about it. Cars and parts get stolen all the time. We have had more than a few threads on here looking for my stolen car. An ounce of prevention.

2Blue2, 31Apickup and 05snopro440 like this.
  20. 05snopro440

05snopro440

People don't want to face the possibility that they may have put their car in a situation where it was not sufficiently secured and a target for possible theft so they instead argue that there's no danger.

21. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I want to do something similar on my A. Even just at car shows people open doors and stand on running boards, thieves in the dark of the night or in parking lots have even less boundaries. Better to be safe than sorry. When I first had my 46 on the road, I took it to work one day as a road test. One of the heavy-handed millwrights walked by my desk asking me about it. He said "yeah I opened the hood and saw...". Yeah, I don't like people messing with my prized possessions, good intentions or not.

My dad's 29 A has a 3 piece hood with fixed sides and a one-piece top. There is a lever in the car to lock the hood top in place, basically a sliding rod. I want to do something similar with the stock hood on mine. I have an idea, but haven't figured out the mechanics of it yet.

Tow Truck Tom, Tman and 31Apickup like this.
  22. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Some of you have led a charmed life.
    I've had people open the hood, open the door and sit inside and a girl sitting on my fender so her friend could take her picture, all without asking.

23. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

So far the score is two to one pro security.

24. 62rebel

62rebel

gonna lock it; install an underhood fire suppression system. How much damage are you willing to accept in a fire situation (where maybe you're still strapped in the seat unconscious).... firefighters don't give a shit about destroying a car to put out a fire..... not their job.

Bandit Billy likes this.
  25. 05snopro440

05snopro440

So you're in the seat unconscious in your modern car. The hood has an inside release. They're going to do the same things to get it open. Heck, in say a 62 Chevy what are the chances a firefighter is going to know how to open the hood? You guys are sure making securing a hood from bad actors more of an issue than it needs to be.

62rebel and SS327 like this.