Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Another steering problem!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadhog56, May 17, 2023.

1. Roadhog56

Roadhog56

Upon checking out my steering problems, I discovered that the column has no lower bearing or bushing. The shaft flexes when turning back and forth. The Shaft is 3/4 inch, I will not know what the actual tube ID measures until I remove the column, but it appears the lower column is made out of pipe with an OD of 2". All the bearings I can find on the net give no actual measurements. Any Ideas here? Thanks , RH

2. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

A good piece of Oak turned to fit the ID an OD will make a good bushing....You can epoxy it in the column...

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

or a chunk of plastic turned down to fit. how does a 3/4" shaft flex?

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Common bearing size at a hardware store. Or a bearing supply. Or McMaster Carr..........................

5. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

All you need are the dimensions. OD ID and width. Should be pretty common.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those frigging don't work I went to the ER with severe chest pains after making and using a plastic bushing in the steering column of my 51 Merc with power steering (subframed) and found out that every muscle across my chest was inflamed from driving the car to a rod trot 90 miles away and back with that setup.

There are easy to find "column savers" Here is the basic search. They are and insert to put in the column with a bearing. steering column saver kit - Google Search

deucemac likes this.
  7. Thats a ton of money when a $20 bill solves the problem withy either a bushing OR a bearing
    [​IMG]

8. I've used wheelbarrow bearings in the bottom of a steering column. Worked perfectly.

9. I to have used wheel barrow bearings, work great! They have a flange on one end and you can peen it in or epoxy it in. Hardware stores have different sizes and there cheap

vtx1800 and Tman like this.
  10. Hence my reply that most hardware stores will have them ;)

Hnstray and anothercarguy like this.
  11. nobby

nobby

12. nobby

nobby

13. nobby

nobby

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Sure like the triple-'set' type screws. Some I had seen slid out, as they were only loose-pressed in...

15. Roadhog56

Roadhog56

I tried to remove the column and discovered the lower coupling is welded to the shaft and the upper steering wheel mount is also welded to the shaft. So no way to slide a bearing on without some grinding. I am having trouble getting the shaft coupling off of the box. This appears to be some sort of aftermarket column that has a flange to mount the after market steering wheel with three bolts,,,

16. Dump that piece of junk and get an 80s/90s GM tilt column, rebuild it and steer with pride.

This site has an incredibly detailed how-to on rebuilding the ubiquitous tilt column. Takes all the mystery out of it. Just scroll down quite a way in the thread to the how-to post. I got it several years ago as a PDF that I printed out but you can get all the info you need here.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/088020-3.html

Last edited: May 18, 2023
    SS327, VANDENPLAS, alanp561 and 2 others like this.
  17. nobby

nobby

is the total length of the inner shaft greater than 31.25 inches?

18. I'm on the fence with my car and a possible tilt column swap. It has no issues, but I'd like some adjustability to improve my driving comfort. Sometimes dicking around with old cobbled together stuff is not the way to go. If you need to search beari ng sizes, check bearing makers, even McMaster Carr should have bearing size information.

19. Roadhog56

Roadhog56

Thanks guys, I will get the column out to check the ID of the tube and hunt for a suitable bearing. I'm not going put a tilt column in a gasser, or power steering, or power brakes or AC, or a radio...... Its a gasser!!!! Funny about the "cobbled together stuff" is when you "build" something and it works right its an engineering marvel but if it doesn't work, its "cobbled".

VANDENPLAS and alanp561 like this.
  20. Post some pics , might help to see what you’re dealing with .

I’ve done the plastic bushing on some forklifts and heavy equipment where the factory bushing / bearing is no longer available or stupid expensive .

Ive done a split bushing and “pinned “ them with roll pins or small screws to save major disassembly.

I’ve got the plastic from my machine shop a solid white looking stuff made for bushing material and it’s “ slippery “

SS327 likes this.