Register now to get rid of these ads!

Newbie with a car question

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by vek, Sep 19, 2006.

1. vek

vek
    from New Jersey

I've been poking around the forum for a couple of weeks after being recommended to the forum by my cousin. It looks to be everything he told it would be, world of information and good place to exchange information. I've been into cars and working on them since a kid. I credit my father for the love of cars and the need to fix my own car but my cousin for the addiction to customizing cars. I've learned most of my mechanical knowledge and body work from trial and error with self education through reading. I'm currently trying to finish up my truck after a lot of mistakes and disappointments. One of the issues a trying to finlaize is the correct carburetor. I had an Edlebrok 1406 600 cfm carb on the truck. It started running really rich and the gas flow into the carb was just spilling into the carb. My engine is a mild built SB 350, 30 over, 190 valve heads, a 280 comp cam with Holley dominator intake producing about 300 hp. At the recommendation of my loacl speed shop owner, I replace the carb with a Holley 4160 450cfm 4 barrel carb. The theory I was old was the engine is an air pump that can only push soo much air and burn soo much fuel. Any additional air is a waste and fuel will not burn seemed to make sense but since I put the carb on I have a flat spot or hesitation spot in exceleration. I've adjusted the secondaries and fuel pressure but can't get rid of the flat spot. The speed shop is now recommending a distributor upgrade with a coil. I'm not sure if this is needed or if the carb just needs to be upgrade to a 600 cfm again. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. cody440

cody440

hey welcome to the hamb. im also from Jersey. where you located? Im not to sure on your carb problem, because im a young guy who learns from trial and error too, but i have a 360 built mild also. I have a edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb on it.. put a post on the general discussion...very smart people on here