Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Anybody ever roll the dice on one of these?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by slack, Mar 28, 2023.

1. slack

slack

Small Block Chevy Dual Plane Air Gap Aluminum Intake Manifold
    intafe.png
    Has anyone tried one of these generic "jewels?" Yes, I performed the due diligence to search for previous threads. No manufacturer is listed so, it's probably chinesium. This is on eBay for $177.00 +
    It sure does look good, but so does bait, hence the post (more due diligence).
    I'll probably end up getting an Edelbrock. I was just wondering if anyone had tried this "too good to be true" offering and what their experience was.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Never tried the intakes

but my buddy who runs a machine shop has used the Chinese aluminum heads for small blocks and says the castings are fantastic
    He replaces the valves and springs with good stuff but the castings themselves are top notch and he’s used a bunch .

I know it doesn’t answer your question , but sometimes “ Chinese junk” ain’t really junk .

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Fitment would be the only issue for me. See in the photo you attached, how the threaded coolant ports aren't centered in the casting pad? That would be my only concern.

I've used some chinesium intakes on previous vehicles, both carb and EFI, never had an issue with fitment, and they are usually direct copies of a major brand intake/model so the flow is usually quite comparable.

slack, chryslerfan55 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  4. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If budget was an issue, I'd pick up a used Edelbrock vs. running that. Bead blast it and nobody will know the difference.
    In fact, I can only remember a couple of times in my life I've ever purchased a new intake or valve covers. Before polishing costs went through the roof, I could buy a good used intake, pay to have it polished and be right about the price of a new intake.

5. Hate to say it but not all offshore parts are crap. Some of them are good values, but can be a bit of a crapshoot...

And keep in mind, they didn't come up with this idea on their own. Somebody here contracted with them to have them built for resale, word will get out pretty quickly if its junk.

And there generally isn't much difference between them. One of the car mags did a big SBC manifold shoot-out many years ago, testing all the then-current aftermarket offerings as well as OEM cast-iron intakes. HP and Torque numbers didn't vary by much more than few percentage points between them, not enough to notice on a street car. If you were racing and looking for every last bit, that could tip your decision one way or another depending on where you wanted the power curve, but that was it.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2023
  6. Doesn't look bad. I have an actual Edelbrock Air Gap that I would love to find a home for, don't see myself using it ever.

Make me an offer

mad mikey, TA DAD and Outback like this.
  7. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Why not buy a used swap meet item? puts the money in the pocket of a fellow American & Car guy.
    We give the chinese too much of our money for everything else nowadays

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is this one eBay item number:402410392392 I can see why you are asking. Hard to find a greasy Edelbrock for that money.

slack likes this.
  9. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Looks okay, except for the (fuel injection?) bosses on each runner.
    That would be a deal breaker for me.

10. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

It's more than likely a Professional Products brand manifold which is pretty much a Chinese rip off of the Edelbrock design. I have one of these on a 350 in my 56 Chevy. It was on the car when I bought it. It works fine (seals up and the engine runs fine). I understand the attraction of a cheaper price as the Edelbrock intake is now $345.95 at Summit, but the Motor Trend Engine Masters show tested this manifold against the Edelbrock and Weiand manifolds and it was down about 10 horsepower from the Edelbrock, which was deemed the best.

mad mikey and slack like this.
  11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I have a buddy that runs the Chinese heads on his car too and said the same as above, have the springs and retainers changed and run them. He's had them on his race car for about 3 yrs with no problems.

I know it's not an intake but as also said above not everything from overseas is junk.

Besides I would love to know how much "name brand" stuff is built overseas?

This country has very little metal (steel or aluminum) products actually produced in it compared to 30 yrs ago with alot of credit due the the EPA and their ever tightening regulations.

mad mikey, harpo1313, Outback and 3 others like this.
  12. slack

slack

Good point. Several people seemed to think that by "chinesium" I meant "junk" but I was referring to the origin. I don't know if they are junk or not. That's the reason for the inquiry. I've been to Harbor Freight a few times and I'm not ashamed to admit it. They are a blessing to a poor man (or even a frugal one :rolleyes:).

13. slack

slack

14. slack

slack

I don't race or at least I haven't in quite a while and never in a "sanctioned" event, so a 10 horsepower difference wouldn't scare me off. That's good to know.

Outback likes this.
  15. I do not know much about that intake at all. But I do like the front and rear water crossover. Nothing like not having to drill and tap the flange and that in itself is worth the price of admission.

slack likes this.
  16. jerry123

jerry123

You can get a no name one from summit

slack likes this.
  17. lake_harley

lake_harley

So...it's likely a non-authorized copy of an Edelbrock product that someone is selling cheap, and likely did not pay anything to Edelbrock who spent time and money to develop the product. It's made in a country that has terrible "people skills" and hates probably most of the rest of the world. Nah......nothing wrong with that scenario.:mad:

The root of the problem lies with each of us. Just my opinion.

Lynn

18. My friend bought an imposter air gap and the aluminum was so porous it weeped oil between the carb and distributor. When he replaced it with a real edelbrock air gap, the engine had better manners, better vacuum signal and actually got a couple more miles to the gallon, plus he wasn't chasing an oil leak.
    Personally I'd never buy one, you can buy used real deal intakes for less than the cost of that offshore junk, they make less power when compared to the real deal and it's doing nothing to support the people and country you live in.

Packrat, lumpy 63, slack and 3 others like this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought a Performance Products copy if an Eddy Victor Jr single plane and it makes more HP than the Eddy. It was for a 357” backup circle track car we run.

Tman likes this.
  20. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

And sadly, sometimes American-made doesn't mean quality, either.

Sancho, Carter and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

22. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Looks like it's for them vortec heads. The four bolts next to the heat riser in the center of that intake, are on [​IMG]a different plane. My old ass can't remember the exact year.

slack and Tman like this.
  23. trad27

trad27

Had one on a BBC in my old ‘62 C10. Was just a beater old truck, Wasn't looking for all out performance or bragging about some name brand parts at shows. Fit alright and never leaked coolant or any vacuum leaks about all I can say about it, Also about all I expected to get out of it.

Edit: Obviously not the exact SBC one your looking at. Mine was BBC but same Chinese no name aluminum kind of intake.

slack likes this.
  24. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Not Vortec heads; the '87-'95 heads use this setup.

slack likes this.
  25. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Heathen you’re correct, T.B.I. Heads

26. Don't cry for Edelbrock; they've been guilty of exactly the same thing. In the mid-'60s they came out with the 'S 427' intake for the Ford FE. It was an exact copy of Ford's Police Interceptor intake, still one of the better dual-plane intakes for an FE when you can find one. Ford took notice and forced them to pull it off the market. The current FE Performer RPM intake is just a crappy copy of that same manifold.

Truckdoctor Andy and Beanscoot like this.