Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Keep or loose the fenders and boards

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by deucepickup32, Mar 26, 2023.

1. You have a pretty sweet truck. It sounds like you have considered selling it. If this is an economic decision, I would say leave it the way it is, the right buyer will find you. If you just want to change it up, lop off the box and paint the fenders darker or black. Does your north of the border jurisdiction allow you to run without fenders? I would expect hiboys need more washing and polishing than full fendered, and washing and polishing doesn’t sound like as much fun as cruising and driving.

joel and deucepickup32 like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

A bunch of old men....

3. goldmountain

goldmountain

With fenders that nice, you need to ask?

4. 05snopro440

05snopro440

For my taste the stance could be improved, but otherwise the fenders look great on it. I'd personally leave it the heck alone except for an altitude adjustment.

You mentioned Bruce's truck, and what that truck has, fenders or not, is the right stance and wheel and tire fitment. Therefore it has tons of attitude.

5. Plus shorting the bed would render it completely useless as a truck.

deucepickup32 and 05snopro440 like this.
  6. 05snopro440

05snopro440

I always find that hilarious. It's a 90 year old truck with the bed mounted by wood. What makes you think it's useful as a truck in modern standards?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    56don and seabeecmc like this.
  7. Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    sewfast, deucepickup32 and Blues4U like this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Leave the fenders, board, full hood.
    • lower it another 3" ( lose all that daylight between the tops of the tires and fenders) and center the rear axle if needed.
    • shorten the bed
    Highboy pickups look awkward and stripped unless they're low, chopped (or Roadster) and have shortened beds (like Blues4U and Sidevalve pictured). Otherwise your eye is looking at a boxy cab and bed sitting on a chassis.

deucepickup32 likes this.
  9. Thanks for the reply and definitely food for thought. In British Columbia there is a “ fair weather “ law that allows fender less vehicles. Agree on the washing and polishing doesn’t sound as fun as cruising and driving.

10. Another for keeping the fenders and shortening the bed. I love these trucks with fenders. I cant imagine my 33 without them. Plus the lopping off the overhand still leave the truck useable. My bed it just long enough to haul a pop up, chairs, toolbox and a cooler for going to events.

11. I agree with the lowering and will look at that option

05snopro440 likes this.
  12. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Keep finders, shorten bed, lower it all around.

13. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Altitude adjustment is key on this. Fenders or not...

I think if you did pull the fenders, got the right altitude and rubber rake you can nail it out of the park.

Even if the fenders are there the proper ride height and tires make the lines pop.

I honestly wouldn't worry about shortening the bed unless it just speaks to you to be done. At a certain height, the bed being stock length makes the truck look lower. If you chop the top and did some other modifications then I would say shorten the bed to bring proportions back in line.

Algoma56 and Jim Bouchard like this.
  14. Elvis100

Elvis100

15. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

32truk2.JPG My completely useless truck with shortened box. Loose fenders rattle so I'd advise against them. Regards, Ron

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
    Packrat, Jeff34, LOST ANGEL and 7 others like this.
  16. Thanks for your thoughts. I am not wanting to shorten the bed either as it’s unique to the 32

Packrat and 05snopro440 like this.
  17. I like fenders

[​IMG]

My pal & fellow club member Dave likes fenders too.

[​IMG]

Steve does too! HRP

[​IMG]

18. And damned proud of it. Its all about aesthetic taste, not age.

19. 65type1

65type1

Fenders... and it's a sweet truck as it sits

sewfast and Daniel Dudley like this.
  20. If you got 'em, flaunt 'em.
    Leave the hood sides open so everyone knows you be styling and you're not Farmer John taking a load to the manure spreader.

21. o_O

LOST ANGEL likes this.
  22. Yea. I have a weird sense of humor........ a single cold one can make it weirder.

sewfast likes this.
  23. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fenders, boards and at least a hood top. I'm not sure on the short bed; it's your truck but I like the black one HotRodPrimer posted.

24. Daniel Dudley

Daniel Dudley

That is an honest truck. I'd drive it with or without the hood, and if you told me it was finished I'd believe you. I like it a lot. I wouldn't change it unless I woke up one day absolutely certain it needed something. If you spend time with a car, hang out with it and drive it, you don't have to decide what to do with it. It will speak to you, and you will know.

deucepickup32 likes this.
  25. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

We don't need no stinkin' fenders... ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

26. gene-koning

gene-koning

For whatever its worth, I always wanted to do an old Hot Rod fender less. I found an old Dodge pickup with beat up fenders and figured that was my chance. About 2 months of driving with no fenders was enough to last me a lifetime. Never again for this guy.

Fortunately, a guy that loved the lack of fenders bought it. He was happy. I was happy, and I got to say I had a fender less truck one time....

Algoma56 and 05snopro440 like this.
  27. Fenders and short bed.
    32rear.jpg

Packrat, Jim Bouchard and akoutlaw like this.
  28. I bet if some of you fenderless warriors had a set of fenders and boards land in your lap free when you were building you would have run them!

29. Squablow

Squablow

My favorite reply, I got a good laugh out of this one.

Guys, the word is "lose". "If your lug nuts are loose, you may lose your wheel."

Blues4U likes this.
  30. Good catch…..and I loose

05snopro440 and Squablow like this.