Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Slo Pok

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CHITOWN 29A, Mar 25, 2023.

1. CHITOWN 29A

CHITOWN 29A

00000IMG_00000_BURST20190708201127042_COVER.jpg
    I am extremely excited and honored to announce that I have become the next caretaker of Slo Pok! For those of you who may not know this car, here is the history....

In the spring of 1982, James "Jake" Mastny picked up a 1949 Mercury to build for his brother-in-law. In a time of pastel - small block Chevy street rods, he set out to build a period correct mid 1950's mild custom.

The body of the Merc received minor modifications. The hood and trunk trim removed, along with the door handles. The headlights were frenched, 1957 Cadillac wheel covers and "dummy" spots added. The hood corners were rounded, and the fender trim was moved to the doors.

The chassis and driveline remained relatively stock. The car was equipped with a Flathead V8, a 3spd manual transmission, and a Dana rearend. Stock brakes were retained. The front end was dropped with Aerostar springs, and the rear received 3" blocks. Functioning lake pipes were also installed.

Jake painted the car himself, 6 coats of lacquer black. The amazing flame job was done by Art Offemaria of Chicago Ridge. The car was originally pinstriped by Dee Jay and later touched up by Tom Kelly. The custom interior, including custom headliner, was done by Ogden Top and Trim of Berwyn, IL. All the interior window garnish mouldings were sent out and chromed.

Jake's brother-in-law drove the car for a couple years, but decided it wasn't his style, so Jake bought the car around 1984.

Jake cruised it around like that for a few years, but working nights for the rail road made the car a mostly local cruiser, which was good because he soon realized that he could not keep up on the highway with his street rod pals, hence the nickname Slo Pok. It turned out the car was originally equipped with an overdrive transmission, and 4.27:1 gears. The overdrive had previously been removed but the gears stayed. A stock 3.92:1 rear end out of a 51 Mercury was installed. A little while later, a factory 3spd overdrive transmission was put back into the car, and some longer trips were in order.

In 1995 it was decided that the car needed a little updating and more power. Stainless brake lines and fuel lines were installed, and the car was rewired front to back. Motor City Flathead out of Michigan built a full race flathead for it. 3 Stromberg 97s, Offenhauser intake and heads, and a MCF Full Race cam. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too much motor for the car, and did not make it very drivable. It again became a local driver, and the car was put on the back burner for a few years.

In 2005 Jake then decided to put a smaller cam in it. He had Everett Plata Installed an Isky MAX -1 cam. This change made the car very drivable, and again it was on long weekend trips.

The car has remained pretty much unchanged since that point. The only addition being the miles to the odometer. :)
    175952.jpg LMPAC6RUPDTAGWXMIC5KIBKD3I.jpg vtf20102.gif PXL_20230318_202001337.jpg PXL_20230316_224912446.jpg

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Congratulations! I've been a fan of this car for years. Once painted a M/C gas tank and used the killer flame job on that car as my model.

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

Very nice !!!

Stogy and CHITOWN 29A like this.

4. Squablow

Squablow

I love it, and technically eligible to race at Hillsboro this year!

knucklenutz, Stogy and CHITOWN 29A like this.
  5. Congrats! Always has been an awesome car.

Slopok, 54delray, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  6. Artie Offemaria, now theres a name I havent heard in a coons age, he was quite the painter. I remember that Merc from when I used to live in Oak Lawn. Beautiful car, youz a lucky guy. Mitch

Stogy likes this.
  7. Just.dale

Just.dale

Very nice!!! Congrats!!!

Stogy and CHITOWN 29A like this.
  8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Just absolutely perfect.
    Exactly everything you’d want on a period custom. Just tits. Great car.

Slopok, Stogy and CHITOWN 29A like this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

One of the oldest organized car clubs, the Slo Poks is based in Vancouver Washington.

10. silent rick

silent rick

nothing happened to Jake i hope

11. CHITOWN 29A

CHITOWN 29A

It's just the name of the car, no club affiliation.

Stogy likes this.
  12. CHITOWN 29A

CHITOWN 29A

He's ok. Just slowing down.

Slopok and Stogy like this.
  13. This'uns been posted before but it'll work fine in this thread, too.

14. Congratulations to @CHITOWN 29A on buying a neat old custom.
    I hope @Slopok is doing well. It must be a relief to know the car has gone to a good home.

Slopok, Stu D Baker, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Simply... Bad Ass Merc.
    Everything done is $pot-On!

16. Yee haa!!
    I’d cruise that

Slopok, Bandit Billy, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  17. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Yep bad ass!!!

18. Congrats! I have always loved that Merc! :cool: And, good to know that nothing has happened to Jake.

19. plymouthgoat62

plymouthgoat62

Not every Merc has to be chopped. I love the look of this without the chop.

20. That is exactly how a Mercury should look!!

Slopok and Stogy like this.
  21. 1pickup

1pickup

I'm usually not a fan of un-chopped Mercs. I've always been a fan of flames, just not on customs. HOWEVER, I've always thought this particular car looked great! Congrats!

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congrats...Hamber to Hamber...Ya done good, that's extremely stunning in a BIG way...have fun with it...as said it's always nice to find a buyer that appreciates the Art that many rides up for grabs here are, turns the key and hits the road smiling...keep the pics coming @CHITOWN 29A...time to get that post count up...;)

Slopok and CHITOWN 29A like this.
  23. CHITOWN 29A

CHITOWN 29A

Been running Slo Pok as much as the weather will allow. The car sat for a couple years so I've had a few fuel related issues. Replaced the old electric fuel pump last week and we took it out for ice cream. PXL_20230319_211002442~2.jpg
    Ran ok, but seemed a bit off. I had training this week, and weather was nice Tuesday so I took it.
    PXL_20230320_112123151.NIGHT.jpg

Definitely had a fuel problem under mid/heavy throttle. I assumed accelerator pump. Took it to lunch and home with no other problems. About 100 miles round trip. PXL_20230321_161019455.jpg

Checked the accelerator pumps yesterday....my hunch was correct. PXL_20230325_183650943.jpg

Only the main one was torn, but I replaced all 3 anyway. (When I get a jet wrench I'll do full rebilds)

My son and I took it to breakfast this morning and it ran way better. PXL_20230326_130618841.jpg

Seems like it may have an ignition miss, so plugs and points will get done this week.

I have a 27 T hot rod as well as this car, but if I put the same miles on this one as I did on the F100 it replaced, I'll probably put 5000+ miles on it this season. :)

Slopok, DAG74, 05snopro440 and 16 others like this.
  24. Rand Man

Rand Man

I like it.

Stogy, Slopok and CHITOWN 29A like this.
  25. That's a good looking car

26. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

Awesome car and I love the engine compartment!! Looks like the little one is going love taking her out on long rides :D:D

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Very cool. That's a great car.

28. This is what it is all about! Making memories with the kids is priceless. My two boys are now old enough that they have their own cool cars. And, it all started like this. :cool:

Stogy, Slopok, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  29. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations, Welcome to the Merc family. It is a Blessing to own a Kustom with kool history. It is one fine '49

Stogy, Slopok, Sancho and 2 others like this.