Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Self Aligning Throwout Bearing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by midnightrider78, Mar 23, 2023.

1. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Hopefully this isn't a ridiculous question... but, what is a self aligning throwout bearing?
    What situation would call for one?

I don't think this is necessary for my vehicle(SBC, ST10, Mcleod Super Street Clutch). But, I hate to assume things. Like my 6th grade math teacher said "When we assume, that makes an ass out of u and me".

Thanks in advance.

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Never heard of them till now...

Hays Self-Aligning Throwout Bearings
    Designed specifically for installations with clutch to transmission misalignment resulting in noise and vibration, Hays self-aligning throw-out bearings minimize these conditions. Clutch alignment can also vary due to normal wear and tear. Self-aligning bearings with their rugged performance characteristics are also a functional upgrade from standard bearings on older cars, when applicable

3. Fordors

Fordors

I could be wrong but this sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Throw out bearing or pilot bearing? makes more since (not really).

5. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

That's kind of what I was wondering. But, I'm sure no expert, so I thought I'd ask around.

6. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

I wondered the same thing and it has something to do how the races inside the throw out bearing work together, from what I remember. I got the self aligning one, figured it could not hurt.

427 sleeper likes this.
  7. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I'm wondering if the self aligning ones are weaker?
    I sent a message to Summit asking about the self aligning bearings. I told them vehicle, motor, transmission, and horsepower and they have replied "you don't need it". They didn't explain why. Just said to stick with the heavy duty Hays bearing I have used in the past.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Pretty common in the modern comfort stick shift cars and truck clutch systems now days.
    You do want a bearing face that will work with the fingers on your pressure plate.

427 sleeper likes this.
  9. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Pretty common in older Jeeps and Fords
    Arrow pointing at face offset that self corrects
    Throwout-Bearing-75x75.jpg

427 sleeper likes this.
  10. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

I am currently using a Hays 70-104. Are there other brands that are equal to or better than the Hays bearing?
    I have seen a Mcleod and a Centerforce that look the same and have virtually the same hype. But, I didn't know if they were comparable. Just wondering if I can save a buck without sacrificing quality.

FYI this is a moderately high hp application(529.7 @ 6100)

11. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I can't get my head around what misalignment this bearing design is intended to address ?

jimmy six and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. 2Blue2

2Blue2

Throwout arm moves in an arc, clutch plate movement is linear .

13. TCTND

TCTND

Throwout bearing slides on the trans snout so it's movement is already linear. The arm engages the back of the slider where there's nothing to "self align".

2Blue2 likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I figured it was to align with the fingers of the pressure plate if they happen to be slightly off center.

427 sleeper likes this.
  15. TCTND

TCTND

I think that's true. I believe the bearing is allowed to float a little laterally so it can align with the clutch if the crank and trans axis are not perfectly in line. Obviously they should be in line, so this seems to be a work around for an imperfect situation.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

On a "Long" style pressure plate as in Fords, the three arms can be at different heights. At least on the old ones you could adjust them individually for height, but the self aligning feature would be useful if the adjustment weren't quite exact.

17. Harley Charley

Harley Charley

Since the throwout bearing rides on the transmission snout/ collar, there's no way for it to align anything. If you want to make sure the input shaft on the trans. is centered with the crankshaft, you can get adjustable dowel pins that are eccentric and will move your bellhousing enough to get it perfect. I believe Tremec will not warranty their trans. unless you made that measurement...