Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking to Help best Friend's Widow in NorCal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlymopar, Mar 15, 2023.

1. earlymopar

earlymopar

I'm looking for referrals on someone who can help my best friend's widow with getting their 40 Ford Coupe running so she can sell it. She and the car are in Red Bluff California. The car has been in storage for sometime but basically will need to be trailered then cleaned up, all fluids and filters changed, tune-up, likely all belts and hoses replaced, battery, check wheel cylinders for leaks, carburetor may need to be rebuilt. The running gear is Chevy small block and turbo transmission.
    I'm looking for someone nearby who is honest, trustworthy and reasonable that could help her with everything. If I had the garage space and the time I would trailer the car to NW Oregon and do it myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

- em

brading and Budget36 like this.
  2. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Good on you for helping her.

seb fontana and bobss396 like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Best Wishes on your quest, it will happen!

seb fontana likes this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

@olscrounger isn't next door, but knows 40’s pretty well, he may know of someone who can assist?

5. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yep, I thought of him before creating this thread.

6. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

People bring me their used cars that they want to sell quite often. They want me to fix all the little problems before they sell it. I advise them there is no shame in pointing out the issues and selling for a lesser price. Chances are it's going to cost more to complete the to do list on this car than she will get back in the sale. Figure out a price as is , sell it , and move on.

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My thoughts also.
    Hey Greg!

8. earlymopar

earlymopar

I appreciate your feedback but yes, she and I are both well aware of this as an option. However, sellers often take a serious "hit" on cars sold this way because the buyer can say things like "I have no idea if the engine or transmission are even useable". As well, having a running / driving vehicle can make a sale much easier and much faster.

9. earlymopar

earlymopar

Hey Doug! I hope all is well.

10. earlymopar

earlymopar

There is also a 28 Model A roadster too but it was used pretty regularly and is in good shape with the exception of (going from memory) a bad coil-over rear shock. He had this car in its stock form since he was 15 in Kansas and he used to drive to school at the Pasadena Art Center College of Design in the early 60s. In the late 80s in Oregon he removed the body from the stock frame changed to a TCI (I believe) tube frame.

11. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Call Kevan Sledge - He is in that region, is knowledgeable , and willing to help. 925-457-9920

51 mercules, Tim and Jim Bouchard like this.
  12. 05snopro440

05snopro440

The problem is that it's not currently running. Sure, sometimes there can be a small difference in price sometimes between a perfect car and a car that needs a few things. However, a car that doesn't run and drive takes a big hit. Making the car roadworthy again will help to maximize sale price, and may bring it to the state that the widow wants it in when sold, as part of her parting with the car and the memory of her late husband with it.

13. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks axle. I'll follow up.

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

Was hoping to hear from someone in Redding if possible.

15. Budget36

Budget36

Search members by location only. Look for surrounding towns. As the names come out, click on profiles to see if they are active here. “Last seen…” will give you an idea. Then you can “find all posts” and get a sense.
    Yes, it’s detective work, it takes time, but maybe you’ll find a few recommendations in the area to where it can be gone over.

harpo1313 likes this.
  16. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thank you. Yep. Already did that Budget36. That was kind of my starting point and was shocked to find that most everyone listed hadn't been on-line in a few years. Maybe that same ratio applies in the larger cities too but there are at least more people and better odds of finding someone in the more populated areas. I have a couple of options but am really starting to think that it may be best for me to drive down and stay in the area for a week. My wife can then help my friend's wife on other things she needs to do and then I can get onto doing the car work myself and feeling better about it. I'm on the fence because of "other irons in the fire" but that's how I'm leaning.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless he moved, that area code is the deep East Bay, East of San Francisco, or about 200-miles from Red Bluff.

nochop and 49ratfink like this.
  18. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

Mopar, I lived in Red Bluff until three years ago, who was your friend. I don't remember anyone with a 40 coupe. I am trying to think of someone to refer you to but I can refer some NOT to go to though. You might try Mitch Allen, in Anderson, if he is still doing hot rod work. I believe he called his business Mitchell's. PM me and I might be able to give you a couple of people to contact.

Budget36 and pprather like this.
  19. Shitbox

Shitbox
    from Yubatuckey

[​IMG]
    I worked in the body shop for a while. He’s an old hot rodder and the majority of the employees are as well. I’d give them a call(yeah I know it’s not that near Red Bluff but they do good work.
    You could also try Standley Brothers in Yuba City @standley-bros.com
    Jason and his crew are good people and do great work as well.

Just Gary and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

boones27t & phaeton36 both live in Redding and were on here recently, yesterday and today. I don't know them but looked up members that live in Redding as someone suggested. Both have been members here for over 10 years.

21. If you can swing it, that might be the best option for all concerned. At this point, she could probably use the emotional support while dealing with her late husband's 'stuff'. That can be a trying time for survivors.
    You may not have the time, equipment or resources to get the cars ready for sale, but at least you could evaluate them and give her an honest opinion of value, as well as an estimate of $$ to get them sale-ready. That may help her decide on the cost benefit of making repairs.
    Your input would also help her ward off any unscrupulous 'picker/flipper' that takes on a 'get it running' project and tries to low ball her.
    She's lucky to have friends like you and your wife. Good luck!

hotrodharry2 and Budget36 like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd agree that a running driving car is a lot easier to sell and you get better money out of it than one that hasn't run for years.
    If you know the "why" as to why it hasn't run in years that is a big help and that may only be that he wasn't able to drive it for several years and it has just sat too long. Brakes are a long day and that takes care of a few other things like packing the bearings. General lube and oil and what not depend on how fast you move as it would take longer for me than a lot of folks now. I'd be prepared to do a tune up and carb rebuild along with flushing out the fuel system.

05snopro440 likes this.
  23. flyin flattie

flyin flattie
    from Redmond OR

I’m in Redmond Oregon if you want to send it up my way Hubcityhotrods.net 530-523-3228

Budget36 likes this.
  24. earlymopar

earlymopar

Thanks SB

25. earlymopar

earlymopar

Agreed and thank you. My wife and I were there in early November and spent a week with her and another "helper couple" going through 2 storage units filled with stuff. We made alot of headway but of course still fell short.

Budget36 likes this.
  26. boones27t

boones27t
    from redding ca

PM sent, give me a call and I can try and get out there to take a look and see if I could help.

27. Budget36

Budget36

Stand up guy!

boones27t likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Unless the hot rod is to be kept in pristine condition, sometimes it is better to sell the complete car/parts and all in the condition it is sitting in the garage. The memories will linger, but the work done on getting it running and money spent may not recover selling it as is, quickly. If it is not the Ala Kart sitting in the garage covered up, then for all concerned, it may be better to just sell it now.

Why put someone in a position of duty or service, it may be better to have someone get all the stuff together and presentable for a good ad photo and information. There are great people out there that will do it for free, but is it better for another 4-6 months or longer, to get it all running? Most folks want a nice hot rod, but would like to put in their own style and custom parts.

NOTE:

The aftermath of our 40 Willys Coupe accident was that we had a pristine Willys Coupe body and running chassis that was not damaged in the fire. Sure, the cab was burned out and missing a lot of parts, but overall, someone could have cleaned it out and had a pristine body, chassis and complete 671 supercharged SBC motor for competition with a few short weeks worth of work. It was a well prepped body and chassis, although it did not look good after we had it on a flatbed trailer.
    upload_2023-3-21_4-11-8.png
    After we decided to get all of the moving and not moving parts off of the Willys Coupe, it still looked good as an empty shell. In seeing the old cars here on the HAMB in various stages of finds and rust, ours looked like a show car ready for the next level of build and finish. But, we did not want any remnants of the accident.

Our friend, Atts Ono who was our pit boss and crew said he did not want any remaining pristine body parts for his own Willys Coupe build. There was something in the air after we took it apart in his backyard. My brother’s suggestion from the hospital bed was to take it apart and sell the parts to our friends. Junk the remaining body in the local scrap yards nearby. We were finished.

A lower cost project will attract more buyers than an overpriced hot rod, just because of the time and effort put into the work. It may be a family item, but because it needs to be sold, fast is better for the family involved.

Jnaki

When we were in the market for a finished hot rod for our business, it was to find one and pay the asking price, so we could get our lives moving on the right path for us. But, in looking for a not so finished project that cost less but has the “right stuff” was worth it to us. Sure, we like the overall look of our 327 powered Sedan Delivery and it did run, but it was a nightmare of a driving hot rod. It was not safe for anyone at any speed.
    upload_2023-3-21_4-5-36.png
    Sure, it was not apart nor was it sitting covered up in a overgrown “weedy” back yard. But, for us it was a lower cost hot rod that needed work to get it safe to drive. The price was lower than most complete cars we saw in various shops and advertisements. It was a project for us and the former owners knew the amount of work necessary to get it to run right and be safe. Eventually, we made it our own style for our endeavors, but it took a long time.

Post photos of what shape the parts/car is in right now and include the facts. It may not be worth it for some to wait to buy what it is or could become, so a sale may be lost. If any work is to be offered, that is nice, but just cleaning up the parts/car and getting them ready for sale seems to be the right call.

On the other hand, if the widow wants to hang on to get a running hot rod, she may think it is worth more than it is… “One in the hand, is worth two in the bush…” or something like that old saying… But, more money will be spent on what may be a long time coming...in a satisfying sale.