Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical fuel filter direction of flow?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by atch, Mar 15, 2023.

1. atch

atch

I bought this filter many years ago, put it away (lost it), recently found it, and now want to install it on Clarence. Unfortunately the flow direction is not shown on the filter itself or the packaging.

My assumption is right to left. Wherein the fuel enters into the center of the stone filter, through the sides of it to the outside, then out the small end. Is that correct?

20230314_152729.jpg
    20230314_152900.jpg
    20230314_152959.jpg

2. twenty8

twenty8

I don't know the answer, but the way you said would make cleaning the filter element difficult.
    My mind says the other way ????

3. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The closed end is the inlet, open end is the outlet.

4. The way you have it in the 1st picture, I'm going to say inlet is the small end of the housing. Fuel enters the outside of the filter and exits from the center (inside).

5. Harv

Harv
    from Sydney

Viper reckon that your image would flow left-to-right, capturing the muck outside the sintered bronze filter (not inside the cone):

Interestingly, Earls etc have flow arrows on their filters, but little reference on how to assemble them once you forget.

Cheers,
    Harv

alanp561 and Just Gary like this.
  6. My two cents-
    I agree with the ones who say to have the flow from the outside of the element into the center.
    For the ones who say flow from the inside out- doesn't that make it nearly impossible to clean well?
    if you plan to clean and reuse, why would you want to collect the gunk on the inside of the cone where you cannot clean it out very well?
    For a clean-and-re-use filter wouldn't you want the gunk on the outside where you can wash and blow it out? from in to out? ...and leave the pores open... if you blast crud from the inside, wouldn't you be embedding the gunk deeper into the clogged pores?
    I am shopping for a 30 and a 10 micron stainless mesh filter, and a few of the ones I looked at say that you can choose either direction.
    I can understand that if you plan to dispose of the filtering element, loading it up on the inside would make sense for disposal..
    but...if you blast it clean, wouldn't you want to blast the gunk out and away instead of deeper into the pores ... ?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
    alanp561 likes this.
  7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

GUYS...those sintered filters are NOT...cleanable / reusable !!!
    At least not properly !

JUST like the same style filters in the various carburetor inlets, they are MADE TO BE THROW-AWAYS.
    If you've ever rebuilt an older carburetor, they always had a fresh filter in the kit. That is until the paper filter came to be. Less money to manufacture.

Sintered filters are...throw-aways when dirty enough to hamper good fuel flow.

Mike

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I always just cleaned em, blew them out with air afterwards and put em back together. Did it for yrs, I even hated it when they became hard to buy OTC.

Agree, flow outside in.

9. Flow through a filter is always outside to inside... more filtration area on the outside.

'29 Gizmo, twenty8 and Black_Sheep like this.
  10. atch

atch

Well; thanx folks. I guess my logic just doesn't hold up.

I'll install little end to the pump and big end to the carb.

And for what it's worth I never considered the elements to be cleanable. I thought you threw one away and replaced with new. Of course since this is the 2nd filter in the system (another where gas leaves tank) I doubt the element will ever be dirty.

11. primed34

primed34

You can still buy those at O'Reillys.

12. THANK YOU!
    Now I won't have to puzzle over it any more. :)