Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Powder coating exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikhett, Mar 14, 2023.

1. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Has anyone done it? Does it Work? Thanks

2. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

No chance. Powdercoat would get destroyed in seconds. Powedercoat is cured at around 200 degrees C. Manifolds reach 800 degrees C

3. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ceramic coating. And it looks good.

lowrd, Atwater Mike, rockable and 5 others like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

Often thought of that have had new headers ceramic coated. But have you any experience with used manifolds? I’d wonder how to get them clean inside. Never asked JetHot about it, maybe they have a way?

Bandit Billy likes this.

5. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

Some coating processes use acid pickling to prep the surface. That pretty much gets rid of everything on the surface, inside and out.

caprockfabshop and Budget36 like this.
  6. Actually, the cure heat for powder is about 450 for 'flow out', dropping to 400 for final cure. They do make some 'high heat' powders that are claimed to work, you'd have to talk to the coater for specifics.

Ned Ludd and Kevin Ardinger like this.
  7. '29 Gizmo

'29 Gizmo
    from UK

I was quoting degrees C not F. Thats the temp i use for my powder coating oven.

8. KFC

KFC
    from UK

I’ve just had my exhausts coated, don’t know if it’s technically powder coat but was done by my powder coater, silver is good for 1200 degrees black 600 apparently.
    74793549-2701-4505-9993-C43356CB68A4.jpeg

See how it goes

indyjps and bchctybob like this.
  9. My headers were ceramic coated when new. After ten years and a LOT of miles, I decided they were the worst looking part of the engine compartment.
    I found a local coater, and he fixed me up. They look great.

Stu D Baker likes this.
  10. Powder coating is PLASTIC. Think about it.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've done 7/8 cars in the last few years with the entire exhaust coated by the powder coater but it's not just powder but a special coating designed just for exhaust. So far it has held up well.

caprockfabshop and jimpopper like this.
  12. jimpopper

jimpopper

I have the same problem so I sourced some stainless ones. Now to get them on.

13. robracer1

robracer1

Have had good luck with POR-15

14. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is my roadster, ceramic coating on the Red's headers, pipes and Smittys, SS tail pipes. This is recent, 3000 miles on them so far. Cleans up easy.
    upload_2023-3-14_15-16-6.png
    This is my pick up, SS headers, pipes and SS Porters, all heavily polished.
    Unless you get right up on them, it is hard to tell the difference. The SS was more expensive. I have yet to tell how long it will last as this one has been fired and burned in but isn't quite finished yet.
    upload_2023-3-14_15-22-24.png

15. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And my guy offers the ceramic in shiny (my fave), black, blued (like Harley chrome pipes turn), and I think he said white. Russ Meeks, Finish Line Coatings in Milwaukie, OR. He does both inside and out.

16. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I think the ceramic on yours looks really nice! I’m definitely going with that on my next build.

Billy

Bandit Billy likes this.
  17. billfunk29

billfunk29
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

High temp powder coatings are silicone based. Many coaters dont want silicone in their plant. Bad for the normal powder. Smokers and grills are coated with high temp powder.

indyjps likes this.
  18. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

'58 Pontiac. Purdy.

Attached Files:

19. VI Lonewolf

VI Lonewolf

I've used Cerakote cold spray ceramic. Did it at home like paint. It's held up well. IMG_1995.jpg

Paulz, Tman, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before and after. Color was described as "raw iron" to me, he had silver, this and black satin, all good for 1800+ degrees, all ceramic.
    1932 Auburn Speedster refresh. Original was delivered in raw casting, no procelain or paint.
    211.jpg
    029.jpg

charleyw, bchctybob and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Mine, done by a local guy AA32694B-2A31-4973-A167-7DB0C6154F8E.jpeg

22. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

I had a pipe I made for a shovel head powder coated and it held up well. Guy told me the heat it is cured at kind of determines what it can stand. Said he cured mine at 600.

23. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I second for Cerakote. There are different heat ratings and different colors. I believe glacier is the highest temp. Also, you can mix colors to get the exact color you want. And can be applied at home. Been awhile, but I don’t think there was an activator needed. We blasted parts to get a good tooth. Then proceeded to beat the pipe on the bench. Dented the pipe and didn’t mark the finish.

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I love porcelain but I don’t know anyone around here that does it anymore.

Tman likes this.
  25. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I had matt black Cerikote applied to a set of headers and it has held up well. The only thing I don’t like is it water spots however eventually disappears after a couple times driving car. Would probably go with a semi-gloss coating from Cerikote if doing again so they could be wiped down to clean. Had mine done by commercial powder coated and they were oven cured. The coater I used did a lot of commercial/production business so had to wait longer than I wanted.

Just a suggestion but if you have smaller items check with a local gunsmith as they apply Cerikote to a lot of firearms (handguns and rifles) for corrosion/cosmetic/action smoothness. Might be faster but check the size of curing ovens they my have to see if it works for you.

26. Russ is the BEST in the country

27. I had my exhaust powder coated by a local shop more than 10 years ago and they still look good, nothing peeling or flaking off although they have lost their sheen. HRP

[​IMG]

Fresh & new.

[​IMG]

11 years later.

bchctybob likes this.
  28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My late foster Dad had the Chevy Rams' horns porcelain coated in '66. The firm was in Oakland, CA. Last time I saw his roadster they still looked fresh. (2020)
    Someone said they are still in business. (can't imagine them doing too many bathtubs these days)

29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it’s on cast iron and is they are not pock marked from rust the brush on Eastwood manifold paint/coating still looks great after 10+ years. F9CE1329-629B-4029-9A73-28E6F49DA4FD.jpeg

30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Is that Calyx?