Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1937 Cadillac Convertible Restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ByAThread, Mar 13, 2023.

1. ByAThread

ByAThread

Hi all,

I’m new here and also new to car interior restoration. I’m an upholsterer by trade and have done a ton of boat interiors, but this is my first car.

I’m redoing the interior of a 1937 Cadillac convertible, and need help with the back panel.
    The pictures I’ve added are what I’m working with currently and what came with the car, and as you can see it looks bad. There’s a big curve, which is causing the cardboard that was used to buckle and wrinkle. The bar is also resting right on it. The cardboard originally used it pretty much glorified oak tag. Do I use the 1/8” thick cowl board I’m using for the door panels and steam it into the right curve? Is there anything better I can use? Thank you in advance for any and all advice, and please let me know if this is even the correct place to post this thread!

2. oldolds

oldolds

I am not an upholsterer, but I have tried on occasion. A lot of Street Rod guys use a sheet of plastic to make door panels and other panels. (abs I think). There is less problem with moisture warping the panel. It bends about like the regular panel board. You can get different thickness. I have used it on simple door panels. Glue holds well to it. I am good with wrapping the panel with some material and adding some trim. That is the extent of my skills

chryslerfan55, Squablow and ByAThread like this.
  3. ByAThread

ByAThread

I was actually thinking of using this! I’ve used it a lot for different boat projects, thank you!

4. Squablow

Squablow

I was going to suggest the same thing, lots of sheet plastic gets used to make roadster door panels, since they won't warp later if they get damp. I think some types can be heated with a heat gun so that it'll bend and then keep it's new shape. If the owner of the car is an absolute purist they might not want plastic but since it will never show when finished I like the idea.

chryslerfan55 and ByAThread like this.

5. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That flat deck, that's where it stays? Funny it has square corners in a rounded top well. At least it looks like it. Are we sure it was originally paneled on the sides and not just lightly padded and tacked below that deck? Will it get a new deck, and can you round the corners (if they really are square)? I've done a well or 3 and not all were paneled.

6. ByAThread

ByAThread

The interior the car came with is not the original, and it’s a pretty half assed redo, so I’m not working with much regarding what it originally looked like. I can’t find much on the original interior either, but if anyone has any resources please forward them along to me!
    If that is the squared corner you are talking about, yeah I don’t think it was originally done that way. This is what I would like it to look like and I think is closer to the original design: Does that make sense? If I can just pad the leather with 1/4” foam, make the fabric work with the curve and not add any cardboard backing that would be preferred.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    Squablow, chryslerfan55 and Okie Pete like this.
  7. ByAThread likes this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I would not use leather for this area. Usually, the well area is done in a contrasting color similar to the underside of the convertible top material. Or a color similar to the interior color. The material needs to be a non-reflective so when sunlight hits it, it doesn`t give off a glare. I would use a canvas type material for this. It`s a bit more durable and less likely to get marred by the top going up and down. You wouldn`t need to add 1/4 inch foam either.

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm with @stanlow69 here. This is an area that would have a well sewn up out of linen that mocks or complements the inner top. Although sometimes a light wt vinyl was used too but this particular model Caddy was probably fairly basic. I'm guessing there's a storage area behind the seats too? I used to know someone with this exact model but I can't remember what the well area was like. I have a huge Cadillac book at the shop. I'll try to remember to look at it for details.

10. Squablow

Squablow

I have a '41 Cadillac convertible with original interior, I can see what mine looks like back there if you want but I would guess a lot of changes happened between '37 and '41.

11. ByAThread

ByAThread

thanks! I have no idea what it would have looked like originally, so any reference pictures would be amazing. I’m going to the car this weekend to double check some other stuff, so I can take pictures of what exactly I’m dealing with.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  12. ByAThread

ByAThread

That would be great!

13. ByAThread

ByAThread

Thank you! Is there anywhere I can go to research what this section is actually supposed to look like? I’m not having much luck.

Also, please bear with me as I’m still learning car terminology. The section I’m talking about, that’s called the well?

14. Squablow

Squablow

Granted, my pictures are crap (had to light them with a flashlight) and also my '41 is quite a bit different in the rear than the '37.

But this is exactly how my '41 is, the inner liner of the convertible top is white fabric (very well could be linen) and the boot well surround area has the same color of white fabric surrounding it, and it does not appear to be padded at all, or if it is, it's extremely thin and flat.

Got some bad old water stains on there from the rear window, but this stuff is definitely the original fabric from 1941.

20230315_220914_HDR.jpg

20230315_220926_HDR.jpg

ByAThread and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. ByAThread

ByAThread

Thank you so much, this is amazing! this looks similar enough to what I’m dealing with. I’m sorry that I’m asking so many rookie questions, this area is called the boot well? Or the boot well surround area? I’m sorry for my lack of vocabulary.

Squablow likes this.
  16. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The boot is the cover that goes over the top when folded down. The item we are discussing is called the well area. Ask any questions you want. This is how you learn.

ByAThread likes this.
  17. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No details to share from my book. Sorry, but I think you're getting spun around in the right direction.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I've always called it the boot well, but I don't know where I picked that up from. I've also heard it called the top well. That liner goes down and kind of forms a pocket with the other end attaching to the back side of the back seat, like a little built-in bag so when the top is down, it sits in that bag instead of just having the top rest on the bare steel trunk floor. On the very off-topic GTO convertible top I did many years ago, that was referred to as the "well liner".

19. 37 caddy

37 caddy
    from PEI Canada

I have a 37 cadillac,bt mines a 4 dr convertible,in the rear well area it is trimmed in what looks like the tan cotton-canvas type of stuff on the top.It is attached to cardboard pieces that lay in the well,the side parts are attached where the top snaps go through the body,it has small flat nut on the inside.My car is in storage so i cant get any pictures,you can also try the Cadillac-Lasalle club forum,it is free to join and lots of help there.The rear well was not real fancy,just kind of basic, the boot cover is supposed to lay in there when the top is up,it attaches to the wood on the seat top,it is not removable?. harvey

ByAThread and Squablow like this.