Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Roach Rod Saga Continues! Almost done! New Pics Added...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SamIyam, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Latest update on the saga...

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

… starts the popcorn

41 coupe likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Removing the last bits of RR?

4. FAB1B24F-1827-4A5A-BAB4-888E3D656B7E.jpeg
    Yep, it’s all been stripped of its parts… and is going back together now.

5. You’d think… but I guess it’s still sinking in.

Tim likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

Are you going to use the front crossmember and nose to recreate a more authentic RR?

And I gotta ask what brand of blades you use? Those went through like butter.

7. Basically… it’s a lot more complicated, so I’ll do a short video in a few days!
    Blades are Milwaukee… chop chop!!

chryslerfan55 and Tim like this.
  8. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man I’m Excited To see what you’re cooking up

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Missed the photo of the new front on it. Looks great

10. Thanks Tim! I'll be going with a sectioned '32 shell, I'm putting two-fours on it... and original 60's Americans with bias plys... It will definitely have a 60's vibe!

swade41, Rolleiflex, ratster and 5 others like this.
  11. v.3?

Outback likes this.
  12. If I number these things... Miles' version would be #6, this would be #7 and the new RR would be #8. Unless you consider Miles' car not a RR, then it can be any number you want, and this one would be numbered after that and the new RR would be #6. Or...

chryslerfan55, Tim, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  13. I made this template to get rid of the Pee Wee Herman Windshield(TM). With a new seat being 3-4" lower... the windshield can be flat. I am 5'11" 250, and fit comfortably in the car and not "on the car".

FRR Windshield.jpg

IMG_7882.JPG

14. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Wow – that had to feel really good.

chryslerfan55, SamIyam and Sancho like this.
  15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Glad I found this thread. That ride was... wild. Must have been looking down to make sure I was physically there? (Parts of my mind were definitely blown and left scattered along 171)

Outback, rod1, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  16. Looking good Sam

SamIyam likes this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm diggin' it Sam.

SamIyam and chryslerfan55 like this.
  18. A lot going on I the garage today! Roger helped me make radiator mounts to mount the radiator and real-deal sectioned ‘32 shell I bought from my friend Terry Bell… and then with some help from Pia, we got the whole mess lifted on top of the cart! Next up is to prep the frame for paint… stay tuned! 6F174BCA-82BA-4D3A-9E33-7952E86F7254.jpeg 139AF216-22DB-47B7-BA68-991319A8E90B.jpeg

winduptoy, Outback, swade41 and 10 others like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Lookin good

SamIyam likes this.
  20. ratster

ratster

Hi Sam, congrats buddy

21. Thank you Ratster! It’s been fun!!

ratster likes this.
  22. The latest video explaining the method to my madness!!

59chev, Tim, Uncle Ronn and 10 others like this.
  23. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

This is just great to see.

SamIyam likes this.
  24. Koz

Koz

So glad to hear you;re going to recreate the original RR with the good stuff you're saving. Still one of the iconic cars on here and not just another generic '27. Loving this thread and following every post!

Outback likes this.
  25. Reminds me of the auctioneer selling grand dad's hammer. Only two new heads and three handles replaced in it's life but it's still grand dad's hammer!

Thinking back to the Rocky33, another iconic HAMB hot rod. Both Rocky and I when I owned it had plans to paint the truck at some point and finish it off. Hell, I still have the gallon of paint in the cabinet! I wonder how many folks would have thought the change ruined it?

brEad, Tim and Thor1 like this.
  26. The Grand Dad's Hammer '26... I like it. :D

Sancho, Tim, Blues4U and 1 other person like this.
  27. Thank you Koz! I've been stashing parts away for years to someday recreate the Roach Rod. Honestly, if you would have asked me six months ago if I would have ever actually do it, I would have said "Probably not"... Each new car is an exciting adventure of parts searching, designing, fabricating... I'm not into doing things twice. But... when the opportunity came around to buy the majority of the key parts, i.e. the track nose and the intake being the major ones... I got all excited! This go around, I'll be doing things a little nicer, finishing it off a little more... it'll still be semi gloss black, and have the look... but it won't have the 5 on the door.

Sancho, Thor1 and Koz like this.
  28. Koz

Koz

Nothing beats a great drivetrain on a car you don't have t worry about some kid leaning on. The RR exemplified that premis. My idea of a great rod is one I can drive 175 miles to Wildwood, park it on the sidewalk outside the Oceanic Bar and not worry about folks looking it over. Oh yeah, it will bring you home too. The RR received more press per dollar than any before or since. Used to follow every article on line and in print.

Keep this going. I can't wait!

Thor1 and Tman like this.
  29. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looking forward to watching the video as well as whatever version number you’re building it is now lol. It’ll be best to see the roach rod with almost twenty years of grown skill applied but still keeping the spirit of what it always was. Staying tuned!

@Tman for as short of a period that @Rocky s truck was in the circle of friends it really did make an imprint and leave a lot of memories!

Outback, brEad, Thor1 and 1 other person like this.
  30. Whatever happened to Rocky's 33? I had totally forgotten about it until now... pics?