Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1960 Chevy truck master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Puka, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Puka

Puka
    from Arkansas

Can someone tell me the trick to turning a '60 Chevy truck master cylinder, which is half brake, half hydraulic clutch, into a dual bowl master cylinder? I see several guys using them on their hot rods, and would like to do this as well.

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You'll have to put a second set of brake cylinder guts in the clutch side of the cylinder.

-Brent-, alanp561 and Puka like this.
  3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Then you would need to cut the clutch pedal off and then where you cut it off weld to the brake pedal so that they both work in tandem

4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Are you certain that is what people are doing and not simply using them as designed and running hyd clutch linkage?

5. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is in my coupe
    20200103_130707.jpg 20200103_130717.jpg

Okie Pete, 427 sleeper, Puka and 2 others like this.
  6. mustangsix

mustangsix

Another dual cylinder option would be the MGA, early MG Midget, and early AH Sprite Brake clutch master. They come in 7/8" or 3/4" bore versions. These work well under a floor. There is a taller reservoir available that holds several more ounces of fluid. The outlets are 3/8" fine thread and use a bubble flare or a banjo.
    [​IMG]

rod1, Tman, Puka and 1 other person like this.
  7. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I use mine as intended with the pedal assembly from a 60 pickup. I've never heard of anyone using them for a dual circuit but I guess you could.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Why reinvent the wheel when dual masters are out there that can handle things like uneven adjustments front to rear as well as a loss of fluid in either circuits?

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  9. Puka

Puka
    from Arkansas

I ask this because Skratch used one on the Headskatcher. I guess I need to just ask him.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

What type of pedals are you using? If you're using aftermarket hanging pedals, like the Ansen hanging pedal design, you have to swap the guts.

Puka likes this.
  11. Puka

Puka
    from Arkansas

Hanging pedals.

12. Is the brake master cylinder bore the same size as the clutch master cylinder bore? It would seem to me like the brake side should use a larger bore than the clutch side.

13. The one I had were the same. Both were 1 1/8 bores

Puka and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't had one apart for 50 + years but am pretty sure that the only difference between brake and clutch sides is the check valve in the brake side. On the clutch side you don't use the check valve or the rubber donut washer that goes behind it. Screenshot (1279).png

-Brent-, Puka, anthony myrick and 2 others like this.
  15. denbob10

denbob10
    from Olympia Wa

Just to be clear, I’m using aftermarket Ansen style hanging pedals. I also purchased a
    Stock Dorman dual master/ Clutch. Being as I’m installing them in the original position ie
    Firewall mounted,
    Would they not already be the correct bore/internals in the correct location ?
    Or, did the original chevy truck have some mechanical pedal assembly that
    Criss crossed the brake pedal to the clutch bore, and vice a versa.
    Thanks for your replies.

16. denbob10

denbob10
    from Olympia Wa

17. denbob10

denbob10
    from Olympia Wa

I don’t understand why you need to swap the guts. I’m using hanging pedals
    Aftermarket ansen style. And a stock master/clutch cylinder. Are the not lined
    Up with the appropriate pedal. Ie. Clutch to left piston and brake to right piston?

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

The stock pedals had linkage that crossed over.

So, your clutch pedal would be pushing on the brake side of the master and vice versa with a hanging pedal set up. Some masters will have the outlet portions labeled so you could see which side is which and it would make sense.

Edit: it was late when I wrote that. So, to clarify further, aftermarket hanging pedals have a straight plunger rod from pedal to master, so the brake pedal plunger would push on the oem clutch side and vice versa. To remedy this, since the pressure proportions would be off, just swap the inner portions from side-to-side.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2023
    rod1 likes this.
  19. -Brent-

-Brent-

60 chevy truck master cyl.jpg

anthony myrick and Johnny Gee like this.
  20. -Brent-

-Brent-

21. Sorry, @skratch has not been here for several years.

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The brake side has a residual valve, to hold 10psi in the line, and the clutch side does not. That's the reason for swapping the internals. I went to an International that has 1" cylinders, does not require swapping any parts. Only minor drilling to fit in place of the Chevy unit. IMG_9510.JPG

pprather likes this.
  23. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Marty Strode Regardless of the technicalities, they need to be swapped to the new brake side. No?

24. Open a bleeder screw drive to the end of your driveway step on the brakes and tell me if your car stops.

Dual reservoir master cylinders are designed to work in tandem, both circuits need to be sealed and free form air to work properly. think about it you have to bleed both circuits before you have a pedal.

Yes, you can pump the pedal and build resistance, which is good in a low speed scenario like someone backing out in front in a parking lot.

However, at highway speeds in an emergency situation with a catastrophic failure do you really believe you will be thinking clearly enough or have time to pump the brakes to avoid a crash?

I had a failure with the master cylinder in my 53 Chevy at low speed. The master cylinder bore was worn, the piston cocked and jammed. I shut the key off with the car in gear to stop it!

I rebuilt the stock master and have not had a lick of trouble.

25. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

If you loose a circuit on a dual circuit master you won’t have a normal pedal. Pedal will become low but still have enough travel left to activate the circuit that is still working. That’s if , and I mean if pedal ratio and ample travel before pedal hit’s the floor is factored in.

26. denbob10

denbob10
    from Olympia Wa

Ok guys. I installed the antenna style hanging pedals, then I swapped the innards on a 1960
    Chevy truck style combination clutch/brake master cylinder. I installed a 1960 Chevy truck style
    Clutch slave cylinder. Bottom line, almost impossible to depress the clutch pedal. Can this be
    Fixed by having the clutch master cylinder bore size reduced to maybe 1/2 “?
    Also, who can do that ? Thanks

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Brent, sorry for the late post, you are correct, the GM needs to have the parts swapped.

-Brent- likes this.