Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Need input on engine color for my Hemi transplant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doug520, Mar 4, 2023.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Beautiful car, whichever way you go, the hemi is going to step it up.
    You have pale yellow, white, small red accents on the rest of the car. Decide if you want the engine to be a part of the flow, or stand out on its own

Subtle - black engine, polished or brushed aluminum, minor red accents

Wild - gold / red / maroon. Either dressed as a stockish looking "transplant" or dress with polished or brushed aluminum.

Suggestions :
    Consider body color firewall, there's no other white on the car.
    Consider ditching the electric fan,
    Can the grill shell be moved back ? And engine driven fan be tucked into the shroud?

Just Gary likes this.
  2. Doug520

Doug520

All great suggestions. The car has a super fine gold flake in it, and I'm thinking the gold engine paint might play into that. Hopefully just a bit of pop on the engine without overwhelming the car itself. That's a good thought on the firewall color, I'll have to consider that. On the fan, yes, I'm not loving the electric fan. I've been thinking for quite a while of ditching it. I do have to be concerned about keeping cool down here in the blazing Houston heat. Right now this engine/radiator/fan combo runs cool as a cucumber. Once the Hemi is in and I see where it sits, I can start to figure out how spacing, etc would work with an engine driven fan and if it would function as well. I've been poking around on the 'net and found this color and kit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274085717264

I think the color might do. I wonder if a quart will be enough for the engine and transmission? Anyone have any idea how much paint that would typically take?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    dana barlow likes this.
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do love colors that tie into each other through a hole car.

4. sunbeam

sunbeam

The block and pan black the valve covers and intake and accurizes body color. everybody does chrome and aluminum

5. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

C66F221D-D461-4267-804A-3498A8FBCC23.png You mentioned using a spray bomb. Maybe this would work for you.

bostonhemi, Just Gary and Okie Pete like this.
  6. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

All Mopar Hi performance motors were painted Hemi Orange back in the day... Either street hemi or race hemi orange....

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. KenC

KenC

JMHO, but it should be gold or silver, 'cause Hemis are precious metal.

deucemac and 73RR like this.
  8. WhitewallWill

WhitewallWill
    from N. Van, BC

Oooh, I gotta vote for white on that car. Gold is my vote if you have it happening somewhere else -shift knob counts. Stunner car!

9. 73RR

73RR

I have used the early Mopar turquois with black on the tin. Pretty sharp contrast.
    The early turquois is not the same as what is offered in cans today however. Current color is more blue so you would need a custom mix. "Spray' (brand) had the best color. My 0.02

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. Doug520

Doug520

Thanks for the kind comment on the car. I really do like it. While fully realizing that the color is not really in fashioon or trend right now, I like it. It's Butternut Yellow from mid 1960's GM with very fine gold flake and pearl.

I'm a big believer in giving credit where it's due. That said, I bought it already built. It was built by a guy named Chet Miller in Temecula, California. I don't know much about him or the car. He sold it through someone who acted as a representative for him, as I believe he was in poor health at the time and didn't want to deal with any prospective buyers. Anyone who knows more about him or the car I'd certainly like to hear about it.

WhitewallWill likes this.
  11. Doug520

Doug520

Comment removed - I thought your website was down but I got in. Disregard.

12. BDUB77

BDUB77

I did mine in gold
    8A159B22-AA9C-4B11-A70D-2D73B43B31A3.jpeg 84F4236B-8FA2-4381-B5E8-725B3867347A.jpeg

13. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Desoto when purchased, Hemi orange
    [​IMG]
    I painted it black to match the truck I am building. Boring, but far from dull
    upload_2023-3-5_10-30-59.png

14. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neon pink .

Just Gary likes this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

My Model A Coupe engine .... I sprayed it Gold

IMG_20181023_200323.jpg

IMG_20181109_205232.jpg

WhitewallWill and Just Gary like this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

ronzmtrwrx and Moriarity like this.
  17. FishFry

FishFry

I would go for chocolate or caramel if you want something different and original.

Frank

The Shift Wizard likes this.
  18. 327Eric

327Eric

Different engine, but this looks has always appealed to me il_570xN.2727690398_qexw.jpg

Paul likes this.
  19. Doug520

Doug520

Beautiful engine, Glenn. Thanks, I'll get in touch with them!

AHotRod likes this.
  20. indyjps

indyjps

I like the yellow that's on it. It's clean and subtle. I'd spend more time going over that car at show than a day-glo red one next to it.

I mentioned stock-ish engine dress earlier. Consider if a guy pulled a hi-po engine out of a new wreck and put it in a hot rod. Pick a year for the engine with best dress and use the decals, plug wires etc.
    Maybe a better air cleaner
    Paint it any color you want. But make it look like a stock hi-po pull out.

Timeless subtle look.

Interested in whatever direction you go. Really like that car.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
    Just Gary likes this.
  21. I'll just put this picture here & quietly walk away...;)
    20230211_172126.jpg

Okie Pete, bostonhemi and AHotRod like this.
  22. 73RR

73RR

23. BDUB77

BDUB77

It’s emerald green metallic

24. Nemosgarage

Nemosgarage

MG Maroon with black valve covers and silver script.

25. I vote Hemi Orange,,,but I’m prejudiced I guess,,,,,lol .

To be honest I guess Silver is good,,,,,,,and Gold,,,,,,but,,,it depends on the shade of Gold .
    There are pretty shades of gold,,,,and so-so shades of gold .
    Some shade’s really look more bronze,,than gold .

To be truthful,,,,,the best looking gold I have seen is Mark Moriarity s Caddy engine in his 40 !
    Now that’s Gold to me !
    And all the chrome goodie’s with it .

Tommy

26. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think either of your ideas are great but the gold really caught my eye. There’s also a hemi engine thread I saw here with lots of engine pics for ideas. You’ve got a great looking car.

27. Because the wheels are painted the body color....... which does look nice......... that really limits the engine color to a great degree. Most of the suggestions haven't rung my bell. But with that color on the wheels, I'm liking Tuxedo Black with chrome/polished gingerbread.
    However, if the wheels were red, dark red, pumpkin, and some other warm color possibilities that work with the Buttercup Yellow body, that's a different story, and matching the engine to the wheels is the way to go.

28. deucemac

deucemac

I may make some people upset with my comment but bare with me. I am now 75 and been mechanic in the industry since 14. Having worked on all size and shape e gins in a variety of colors, both factory and custom, I detest black for on reason. Tracing and repairing small leaks. ALL cars leak eventually. Fluids can cascade down from the leak point a long ways off to where you find the puddle on the ground. Ford, in their infinite lack of wisdom painted several of their engines black in the 60s. They could be a nightmare to chase down the actual leak point. Choose a paint color that will help you find leaks. We used to paint any "REAL" hot rod engines bright red no matter what the body color was. Paint it a color you like, but choose one that looks good and won't fits chasing the origin of a leak. When I painted my roadster Washington Blue, I had the wheels powder coated Tacoma cream. I painted my hemi block and heads Tacoma cream also. After 40k plus miles, leaks have appeared and been easy to trace and repair. Don't just choose a paint to fit your head and ego the, but also the practical side of maintenance. If it was my car, I would choose Chrysler red or Chevy orange. Just my opinion.

AHotRod likes this.