Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 luggage spreader bar

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 3w Hank, Mar 4, 2023.

1. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I has look for make a thicker plate to my rear spreader bar.
    Then I heard on the luggage bars.
    Hard to find and maybe expensive.
    I saw they sold repros and I has nothing agains them ( 375 US )
    But then I notice the bar that came with a extra wheel has sometimes a thicker end, but I seen most with a thin plate.
    They seems to be all over ( easy to find )
    Do anyone know that might be the same ends used for the luggage bar ?
    That would ’feel’ better cut the old ends and use a new 2” bar.
    Ideas on that.

2. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Original spare tire carriers don't seem to have much value, hardly anyone wants them.
    Cutting the ends off of one & retubing it with 2 inch tubing sounds like a good idea!

3. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Luggage bars are much heavier . By using a thicker tube heavier wall and making some thicker end plates you’ll have a excellent luggage rack.

jim32 likes this.
  4. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I believe I've got a luggage bar I took off a 33 coupe,I'll look for it later

5. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've built several 32 rear spreader bars suitable for a light weight trailer hitch. I use 2 inch 1/4 wall DOM tube and get a couple 2 inch flanges from the local exhaust shop, Tig it together and I have a heavy duty spreader bar.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  6. 3w Hank

3w Hank

One of my ideas on this build up ( and its been change... ) is put togheter a car on most Henry parts, but in a mix of parts.

I has been at early pre-war, early 40’s and late 40’s now I’m at very early 50’s. Body has also change from 32 3W to 29 roadster and to this 32 5W.

In front I will use the A-Ford brakeshaft for a spreader bar and custom but Henry based, and in rear I did like the luggage bar idea after I was told about them. I had thought made thicker ends but because I need a beefy bar but I like the look on the thicker ends. If I can get a std its should be great, otherwise the idea I talked about.

One told me this luggage bars was used for racers as they had their parts back there but if that is true or not back then I can’t say but I did like the story !

7. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Here are pics of an original one I found here 4 yrs ago.Long gone.A couple years ago there was someone making a close reproduction. 32 luggage rack bar 1.jpg 32 luggage rack bar left side.jpg 32 luggage rack bar right side.jpg

micksmith and Tman like this.
  8. swifty

swifty

@Deuce Lover that's the same as the one that I was running on my 32-5 window but had to give it up so son could run the Aussie style luggage rack on his 32 Tudor. I think he gave me an after-market spreader bar to replace it. Incidentally the luggage racks supplied on the Aussie 32's were an after-market item and were different to the US supplied ones.
    When Scritch got his 32 Phaeton from Australia he did not like the luggage rack, sold it off and sourced a genuine US one.

9. indyjps

indyjps

Shipping to Sweden is expensive, fabricating that would not be difficult. If you have any food or refinery businesses in the area - you may be able to get drops / scrap of stainless :D

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

1678039333738292909640522224434.jpg 16780393486561905572331730817573.jpg here's the one I have maybe it's not exactly for luggage rack I don't know but looks Factory built and heavy. Can't find my tape measure to measure it but it did come off of a 33 Coupe

11. alchemy

alchemy

That’s just a regular 33 rear spreader. Those standoffs are for the bumper irons.

12. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I has catch up several spare tires carriers and will check them out and come back and show pictures if you think they look like the luggage spreader.
    I’m in CNC business so I could make a own end as its a OEM not far away from me I can look at.
    But it feels better has Henry end even if I use a new bar.

13. This one is made from 2” od, .250 wall brushed stainless for reference.
    upload_2023-3-6_9-9-46.png

deathrowdave and Tman like this.
  14. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

Hank, I thought I would post on your thread instead of a email. There is a N.O.S. luggage rack spreader bar, and two others that I "re-bared", one has forged ends (not fully welded), and the other one was stamped. I bored it the same diameter of the tube and left that nice little imperfect radius, that's the one I like the best.
    Tom IMG_20230306_133219938.jpg IMG_20230306_133317936.jpg IMG_20230306_133341974.jpg IMG_20230306_133354127.jpg

15. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

I was strollin' down one of the lanes at a Turlock swap meet and came across an original rear bar for a '32 Ford. Still had the luggage rack tabs on it and I'm a sucker for original Ford parts, especially for the '32 roadster I've been building. The price was good so a deal for that was struck.

Totally stoked about my find I was toting my new bar in hand when a little further down that same swap meet row I came across this funky looking luggage rack. I was looking it over, the Dude said it came of a '32 but I was pretty sure the '32 didn't fold up. It fit the spreader bar I was holding, so I made an offer, wagering that even if wasn't a '32 it'd fit something in the early Ford V8 family.

After I sat down with my evening libation and cigar I had an opportunity to do a little digging and much to my surprise it indeed was from a '32 Ford, albeit one from halfway around the planet.

Quite curious how it traveled across an ocean and ended up in the little dust bowl known as Turlock, California, let alone the coincidence that both a '32 luggage rack spreader bar and Australian '32 luggage rack would be found at the nearly the same time and place.

1932ford_003.JPG

Algoma56, Tman and alchemy like this.
  16. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Yep,That is the Australian version luggage rack.They folded.

17. Not true if you are looking for one. People think they are gold in these parts.

18. alchemy

alchemy

If they are gold, how many do you want?

el Scotto likes this.
  19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Made mine from 2 in SS , schedule 80 LNG pipe and laser cut SS flanges . Tube was free off fall , flanges were about 20 bucks , TIG welded together . Nice and no rust . Give you some food for thinkin about , tack it together in the frame to align flanges correctly before finish welding . Tig is not necessary .

20. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice find, el Scotto. That folding luggage rack is cool.

21. swifty

swifty

Those luggage racks were also used on Chrysler Company products here in Australia which is why I referred to them as "after market" in my post #8 above. I reckon they are a nicer unit than the large US style ones. What style of luggage rack did the Canadian cars have as all our stuff came from Canada?

22. 3w Hank

3w Hank

Thanks get this info.
    I has not yet seen the spare tires ( SS ) bars ends. The one I seen was flat stamped but I has locate up 2 others that ’might’ has thicker ends.
    But if its the same as the luggage I dont know.
    Tom, nice info.
    So the mid one might be a SS end ?

Anyone has a nice Henry luggage bar to sell post me.

23. chrisp

chrisp

Carter likes this.
  24. 3w Hank

3w Hank

The Carillo is the same I think as Roadster Supply.
    I read on them and it should as exactly as Henry cast them, but I don’t think so.
    The new ones is not chamfer that way.

If we look at Tom’s NOS ( the black one ) its a chamfer ends, Carillo is not ( se pic )

I got a SS bar today ( se pic ) and its look near as the NOS luggage bar.
    Why should ol Henry made 2 styles ?

-What do you think ( the ones cares, most might not )

I can't say what to do, and the SS ends is ok but ruff, so I might make new ones but best is wait and see if some can sell me one !

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  25. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I do note on the luggage bar cast ends its a slightly tapering, and its not on the SS bar.
    Se drawing what I mean.

Attached Files:

26. @3w Hank
    Wish you were closer, and you could be the owner of a complete Aussie folding rack with bar. Came off an Aussie Phaeton.
    If I don’t use it on my new Roadster.

27. 3w Hank

3w Hank

I cutted ends off and brushed them, so this can be nice ends on a 2” rear spreader bar.
    But its rust pitted so some weld and clean up will do it. Not all SS bars had this cast ends.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023