Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical SBC Early Valve Covers with Roller Rockers, Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOSTONCAMARO, Feb 26, 2023.

1. I run Lunati rollers on my 355. But I recall the days of running a 396 or 402 in the stock cars with stock but new Chevy stock rockers, we did use poly locks and screw in studs. 3 years of 6500 RPMs and they held up.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I run stock rocker nuts on mine, too....just have to replace them (and the studs) occasionally.

3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

In the early 70s, Lebanon Valley's limited class didn't allow roller rockers on the 320 cube limit engines. Everybody ran stock rockers with polly locks, and with the gearing and tire diameters, engines routinely ran up to 8000 rpm. Most Chevy engines were 327 blocks with 283 cranks 30 over, well within the 320 limit.

Rods were the real limiting factor. Yes there were decent small journal rods, but the bolts were where the failures occurred. The factory 754 (last 3 digits of the part number) cam was as good a choice as any aftermarket cam, and it was a lot cheaper.

Ahh, those were the days!

deuceman32 and bobss396 like this.
  4. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh, and the polly locks helped the rockers survive. They tended to make the oil get to the ball pivots...

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

If I recall correctly Harland sharp invented
    the roller tip rockers in the late 50’s. I don’t know how commonplace they were though. The scorpion endurance series are supposed to have more clearance than their others. I have them on an engine now with aftermarket ribbed covers. I have an old set of ribbed Cal customs that seem taller than the corvette covers. I had a set of comp roller tip stamped rockers with corvette covers. Here’s something I found out on those. I had tried them flipped side to side to clear the blower with the breathers and apparently they are made angled with more clearance for rockers on the top side of the script. They wouldnt clear when on flipped but worked fine when installed with the script the correct direction. I had to put breathers on the front end instead of the top side.

mad mikey likes this.
  6. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, look at the end of a stamped steel Chevy valve cover, they're not quite symmetrical.

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

A note on aggressive cams on the street...
    You may want to invest in a "stud girdle" for the rocker arm studs. Aggressive cams, stock 3/8" studs, and street miles aren't exactly conducive for long life.

Big Chevy 7/16" studs will help some, but the best bet is a stud girdle.

I ran roller rockers AND a stud girdle on my small Chevy...with...a roller cam...ALL under..."stock", sheet metal, rocker covers with...NO rocker cover spacer.

Anglia - 2.JPG

Mike

8. I do have girdles, some 7/16 rockers and studs too, we shall see

9. I am not sure about the original rocker covers with a thick gasket. I do know that if you are running regular heads (not canted valves or anything extreme) that Cal Custom makes tall finned rocker covers. Unless you are really paying attention and are well versed you cannot tell the difference.

AHotRod likes this.
  10. When I swapped engines from my Henry J (aluminum rollers) over into the t-bucket, I pulled the M/T covers and put the corvette ones on from the motor that was in the bucket (roller tip factory).
    Oddly enough first side bolted on fine but the second promptly broke the cover as soon as I tighten the bolt. The only thing I can think is that the one sides rockers were in some kind of perfect position, that would've revealed itself upon rolling the engine over.

100_7455_zps5b209290.jpg

So now the vette covers are wall hangers for now, but I did buy a set of spacers and a single vette cover to swap back on for the CalCustoms

Screenshot_20230227_141620_Gallery.jpg 20150502_180935_zpsiynxveya.jpg

I am running a set of M/T's with my M/T intake to go in the 57 pickup

20191004_080829.jpg 20190924_134520.jpg

11. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

Like these?
    Harland Sharp rollers, .510 lift... IMG_5594.JPG

12. @MCjim what covers are those?

@swade41 I may do same MT covers, what year did this version come out? 66/67? or not until 70's?

The MY should clear most rockers and girdles I believe?

13. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Years ago I traded a hopped up Pinto 2.3 four banger for a hopped up 327 with ported angle plug heads and big popups, the heads had old school roller rockers on it and thick casting finned aluminum valve covers.

One of the previous owners ground the inside of the covers for rocker arm clearance which I thought was interesting, but if it works it works. Couldn't tell at all from the outside.

327chevy02.JPG

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

There are roller rockers that fit, but not once you add stud girdles into the mix. Once the girdles are added, even short poly locks wont fit anymore. I have roller rockers on both of my SBC engines and use low profile valve covers, but nothing else added to the rockers.

AHotRod and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  15. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3/8" spacer's and thick gaskets to cover Comp Cams full roller's, and 327 valve cover's. The "Average Joe" doesn't even notice. 20211107_121214 (1).jpg

16. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, if you look at those risers you can see there's a wide side that mimics the cover. I sealed mine opposite of that and used studs. I bolted them down, cleaned the excess and let em seal. I did grind the wide side to the gasket size so it would go away into the cover. Painted it all semi gloss black and it was really hard to detect for a 1am street racer. I ran a small 7" BHJ damper too, said it was a .060 over 402 because its what I had, but was looking for a 454. It was a 477...:cool: If I find just an engine pic I'll post it. Looked fairly stealthy, Dart intake (logo ground off), Merlin heads, 1050 Dominator under a modified open element air cleaner.

Tickety Boo, bchctybob and mad mikey like this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Bostoncamero
    Be careful what you wish for. The set on my Willy’s drove me freaken nuts. As a matter of fact I just recently got it where I want it. ( but I am by nature a perfectionist when it comes to how my stuff runs ). And I’ve many injection set ups. The smallest little change can make you wonder if you know a damn thing. And I’ve run everything from a blown six to a 417 Donovan. They can be humbling.

18. Those particular covers are at earliest 67 because they have 350 cast into the oil cap hole, oil cap hole came about when they removed the road draft tube and oil fill tube in the intake.

Here's a 1964 ad

scan0017-7.jpg

And a 1968 ad

scan0015-7.jpg

19. This is great thanks!!

20. @Mitchell Rish I have heard that, my dad loved them, I would love to run on somthing one day

21. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

My covers are Cal Custom, made in California- not sure what year they made them. There are Old Japanese copies that look very similar...and are cheaper since the "perfectionists" shun them. Also, I had an Edelbrock cross ram with those covers and had no fit issues other than having the breathers on the outside...cross rams are just not a practical setup.

Deuces, AHotRod and BOSTONCAMARO like this.
  22. I ran 6500 at Islip with the big block, Riverhead was a little longer and I ran 6700 there. When a crankin' small block passed me, it sounded like a mad hornet... probably north of 7500. We had no after market rod rule, we picked them up at the Chevy parts counter.

23. sunbeam

sunbeam

If you need to run spacers how about early staggered bolt corvette covers with adapters?

BOSTONCAMARO likes this.
  24. I have these on the way, early before other logo/cut out areas were cast into top. I may use these on 283, but also have Ansen which I would use roller tip rockers if so

Attached Files:

25. The Ansen's I have are the same as these (found pic online)

26. Ansen

Attached Files:

AHotRod, 427 sleeper and swade41 like this.
  27. Someone drilled those for the breathers, just so you know, I have a pair that someone drilled one in the flat also. The left blue one

20211028_151232.jpg

I also have a pair of Ansens like yours, they would need a spacer for full roller rocker

20211028_151238.jpg

They did make an earlier version with a single oil fill hole and the other is a no logo M/T

20210515_174218.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  28. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

My army tank engine had roller rockers in 1953

AHotRod, Tickety Boo and swade41 like this.
  29. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I've got a set of world sportsman 2 heads that have raised valve cover rails. I think they were designed to be a cheat for classes that require short valve covers.

AHotRod, Tickety Boo and swade41 like this.
  30. @swade41 I saw the ones I have on way were drilled, got for a good deal and I need breathers

Tickety Boo, 427 sleeper and swade41 like this.