Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Power Washer Media Blaster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ziffer, Feb 22, 2023.

1. ziffer

ziffer
    from michigan

Has anyone used one of these units that attaches to the nozzle of the power washer and siphons media up to blast?

Thanks
    Z 2.jpg

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

3. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

I also would like some first hand knowledge. Especially would be interested in baking soda blasting with pressure washer.

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might want to rethink this. Several years ago, when I was between jobs, I built a bunch of trailers and assembled the power units and pumps for a fellow who had most of the patents for commercial water blasting units. He had some units that he sold that were used for wet sand blasting but they were very expensive as the media ate up the pumps and guns pretty quickly. They worked great if you needed to blast in an area where you might have an explosion. I think you'd plug one of the small residential units up pretty easily and wear it out fast. Have you considered vapor blasting? If you're set on going this route, look up a local commercial water blaster and let them do it. It's much safer. The commercial units we built would throw a 3/16" stream of water at 8,000 PSI which would cut through a telephone pole in 8 seconds. We would do that to show new hires just how dangerous the machines were. Even the lower pressures of the small residential units are enough to cut your skin.

SS327 likes this.

5. indyjps

indyjps

Screenshot_20230223_215352_Chrome.jpg

Think he's referring to these, siphon thru the nozzle. Agree running media thru the pump would be bad news.

I've never used siphon feed sandblaster pressure washer attachment, but every siphon feed version of sand blast I've tried to use sucked.... uh, didnt suck? ... didn't work well

alanp561, clem and SS327 like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bought one last year but haven't tried it out. Works the same way as a siphone out off a bucket sandblaster works but your are using water pressure rather than air pressure.

7. samurai mike

samurai mike

used one twenty some years ago. metal will flash rust right away

alanp561 and clem like this.
  8. indyjps

indyjps

I'm interested to get feedback too - If these work for effective blasting. What version/ brand and any pointers.

Flash rust, I'd be good with doing a panel at a time and scrubbing with phospho or panel prep.

Prepping old panels is either a lot of work or a lot of money - if there's a better way, I'm game.

9. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ordered one of the $32 ones off Amazon, like indyjps posted. It should be here next week, but right now it's 20 below zero so I won't be testing it real soon. I'll be selective in what I use it for, after I see how the metal looks.

10. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

I've got one. It works ok but the only advantage I see over an air siphen blaster is the reduced dust in the air. It still gets media everywhere.

alanp561 likes this.
  11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Do some research on using Dry Ice cleaning / blasting.
    Less invasive to pitting and warping.
    There are companies out there you can take your parts to or Mobile units come to you.
    Plus no mess to clean up after...... as it evaporates.

alanp561 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had my car blasted by a commercial outfit that used a wet media. Worked great and since this is an area with a very dry climate; no rust issues after. IMG_1234.JPG

alanp561 likes this.
  13. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I've looked at them but never pulled the trigger.

Like to hear some first hand experience myself to see if it's worth buying.

Main advantages I've seen are lack of dust and keeping the panel cool while doing it. Of course the downside is flash rust but I think it'd be easier to handle the flash rust vs the heavy rust.