Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The 56 Chevy Continued Adventure Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Scored these M/T valve covers this weekend. Been patiently looking and waiting for the right deal to come along. Always liked these and or the Cal Custom finned covers too. Will run these to begin with at least.

Screenshot_4.png

2. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Putting the son to work scraping the caked oil off the floor pan. Found oven cleaner loosens it up pretty good after decades of it caked on the metal. Trying to teach him you have to do the unglorious jobs before you get to do the cool stuff!

IMG_9179.jpg

ffr1222k, Stogy, 2Blue2 and 7 others like this.
  3. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used to have to "Learn" how to do stuff when my Dad didn't want to do it! LOL!!! :p
    But I think that's the way we all learned! :cool:

Stogy likes this.
  4. It builds character .;)

Stogy and 427 sleeper like this.
  5. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

well there is that too! ha ha Got my hands more dirty than I care to remember! I wanna do the fun stuff now! :D

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He's just thinking..." I'm going to burn these tires so bad , and get laid in this bitchin car"

7. patsurf

patsurf

well,maybe a light respirator--i always notice the choking w/ dollar store oven clnr. in my kitchen!

Stogy likes this.
  8. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

yes agreed. I'd spray where we wanted to scrape and let it sit for half hour while not in the shop.

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Think the boy did a pretty good jb getting the underside mostly cleaned off. Couple areas still but a good start. Got the old hole for the shifter and battery cutoff switch patched on the tranny tunnel. Will get the new round hole cut for the Tremec shifter once I get some measurements.

IMG_9182 - Copy.jpg IMG_9183.jpg

10. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

A little mechanical work today. Needed to clean and lube the speedo head as it was gummed up. Going to order a new OG temp gauge but the electric version and i'll test the fuel gauge to see if it still works if not I'll replace it as well. lens is a little frosted up, not sure if it can be brightened up. Any suggestions let me know.

IMG_9242.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  11. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used swirl remover on the speedo in the modelA...it's a 54 Ford speedometer

Stogy likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

all 56's were elect temp gauge, If yours has a capillary tube then it is from a 55

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

did you just rub it with a cloth or use any sort of power device?

14. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

interesting, didn't know that. Back of the gauge looks like it was the capillary tube type.

IMG_9241.jpg

Stogy, Moriarity and Johnny Gee like this.
  15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Also, the capillary tube and probe are only long enough to reach the back of the block even it was aV8. 55 265’s are not the same as a 56 265.

Stogy and Fitnessguy like this.
  16. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Ticked off some more grunt work today and I got the gauge holes filled in. Forgot to take a pic after cleaning up the welds. I'll be returning the dash to stock 210 trim/layout. My copilot was hangin in the shop today with me too.

IMG_9248.jpg IMG_9247.jpg

17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looks good and I was wondering what you’ve been up to...

Stogy and Bruce A Lyke like this.
  18. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was a while ago but I just used two microfiber cloths , one to apply the other to buff. I had a little bit of overspray from a rattle can , it took off the overspray and polished the plastic.

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Started the drivers side under car repairs. Got the old seat mount bracket cut out and installed the new one with new sheet metal. Welded in the replacement floor pan brace as well. Have one more floor pan brace further back to cut and install new one. Tested the seat to make sure my measurements were right... I still know how to use a tape measure! :cool:

IMG_9277.jpg IMG_9287.jpg IMG_9288.jpg

20. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Been a bit of a slacker the last while. Everyone in the house took turns getting a nasty cold that just held on and on so that slowed progress down as well. Got back on things this weekend now that I'm on to the drivers side of the show. Got all the floor pan braces replaced and burned in and re did the top fender mount like the passenger side. A few other little things on this side to tend to then I'll jump on the back end trunk last 10 inches replacement. And for those who are wondering, no I didn't write the "looks good" on the rear brace. That's how she came out of the box. Someone inspecting on a Friday I guess... :D

IMG_9407.jpg IMG_9408.jpg IMG_9405.jpg IMG_9406 (1).jpg

Stogy and Squablow like this.
  21. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Hope to make some more good headway this weekend. In the meantime got my CPP 25 gallon tank in today. This model let's you keep the spare tire wheel well which I definitely wanted to do. Comes with all the hardware and heavy fuel filler hose that connects to the stock filler tube. Took in the first swap meet of the season today. Pretty small but better than nothing. Not much there I needed but I did score a good deal on a set of exhaust cut outs and this clean original BC 56 plate. If only the province allowed use of these old plates. No dice in BC! :(

IMG_9441.jpg IMG_9442.jpg

22. Looking great!
    Pretty sure I picked up a trick from your thread. ^ The way you fixed the threaded hole. For the rusted hinge area on my '55 hood, I tapped a piece of 3/8'' x 1'' steel bar. Then welded it into the remaining good structure. It worked & saved the hood!

427 sleeper and Stogy like this.
  23. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

That's great, what the hobby is all about, picking up stuff from other guys

24. Jersey Larry

Jersey Larry

Very cool project and progress.

25. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Looking for opinions here. Who is the best source for a pulley kit like this for a BBC with long water pump? Need the pulleys and brackets and I haven't been able to find anyone that does a complete kit so unless you go out and order all the components separate it seems no one has one. Not that I can't order the parts separate except then it seems I would have to order from multiple vendors which means multiple shipping and border charges.

Screenshot_5.png

26. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

I haven't looked recently, but Alan Grove used to be the go-to for al the brackets and such.

As far as the pulleys themselves, have you checked the resto houses? I'd be surprised if somebody didn't offer a kit with all that you need since so many muscle car era guys are still swapping in big blocks where there was originally a small block or 6 cyl.

Devin

27. Love builds like this. Awesome work so far. Keep the updates coming.

Stogy likes this.
  28. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks man, appreciate the nice words

Stogy likes this.
  29. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Good day today. Long awaited Ciadella full interior arrived. Went through the stuff and I think the quality is top notch. Well worth the money in my opinion. Wheels & caps arrived last week. Wheels will head off to powder coat on Friday. I was going to paint the wheels myself but the more I thought about it, decided to get the coated then I know they'll stand up long term. The car is gonna get driven lots so bite the bullet and spend the dough in the right spots. Been steadily finishing sheet met work, nothing sexy enough to post pics of. Getting close to coating the floor pan in and out before I tackle the rear truck repair. Motor will hopefully be done any day. Engine shop is slooooow but they do great work so no reason to push. A few more items to order up then I'm hoping I'm done having to order parts and can just focus on final work and start assembly.

View attachment 5719216 IMG_9726.jpg IMG_9727.jpg IMG_9728.jpg IMG_9729.jpg IMG_9730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2023