Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 5W Build - The $4K Swapmeet Body

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by NealinCA, Feb 2, 2023.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

This coupe definitely landed in the right hands. It sure accelerated progress that you had the build already mapped out in your head and had begun to collect great vintage parts for it. I’m looking forward to seeing what this car becomes. It’s definitely on the right track

Stogy, benchseat4speed and -Brent- like this.
  2. Diggit

Stogy likes this.
  3. Really cool! Welcome back.

Stogy likes this.
  4. As always awesome work Neal.

Stogy likes this.
  5. NealinCA

NealinCA

I've been inching away at this car, amongst my day job, family obligations and my second full time job of building/rebuilding early Ford steering boxes.
    I finally got the doors latched for the first time since I've owned the body. That was a satisfying step.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Working on the trunk as well
    [​IMG]
    Baby steps...

porkshop, bchctybob, Stogy and 27 others like this.
  6. NealinCA

NealinCA

The car has been mocked up on another original 32 frame I had, not the one that the car is titled to, so after having that frame blasted it was time to get the body on the proper frame, as there will be some more metal work done.
    Disassembly time...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Getting ready for a little snip snip...

porkshop, bchctybob, Stogy and 28 others like this.
  7. NealinCA

NealinCA

Here is some of the old chrome I have collected for the car.
    I just scored the old Cal Custom Fuel Pump riser at the Turlock swapmeet for $10.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The transmission is an 18- case with a 39 style double detent top, which will get a late set of Ford 16/28 gears
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The idler is kinda different, in that they used two generator front castings, so it has two bearings, rather than a bushing in the rear cover. I like old hot rod innovation like that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The front end is an original Bell Auto Parts tube axle with 32-34 spindles and 39-40 Lincoln brakes. These deep backing plates help narrow up the front end, as the Bell axle is the same width as a stock 32 axle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I'm still looking for a chrome banjo rear end. I have a chrome 42-48 rear end, but it's just too wide for the overall look I am after. A chrome 32 rear end would be perfect, as I have a chrome 32-34 rear spring and then I wouldn't have to change the rear crossmember. I'm also on the hunt for chrome 32 pedals and a chrome flathead oil pan, preferably pre-war with the dip by the starter to clear the wishbone.

Let me know if you have any old chrome parts to finish out my all chrome chassis.

Thanks,

Neal

porkshop, bchctybob, Stogy and 33 others like this.
  8. -Brent-

-Brent-

Way way waaay cool.

Stogy likes this.
  9. elgringo71

elgringo71

Recipe for eye popping jaw dropper !!!
    You are checking all of the right boxes with this build and are doing it on somewhat of a budget I believe. You got into the Coupe right and are getting the shine without having to pay the chrome bill. Fantastic work and vision.

Stogy and Outback like this.
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

Cool Hot Rod in the making ... nice.

Stogy likes this.
  11. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Stogy likes this.
  12. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very KOOL and shiny

13. SS327

SS327

I could be wrong but I think it is looking fantastic!

Stogy likes this.
  14. Good gravy, what a flat motor!
    That’s a lifetime collection of treasures.
    “You ain’t got a thing if you ain’t got that bling”!

porkshop and Stogy like this.
  15. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What drums/hubs are you running with the deep Lincoln plates and the 32-34 spindles? I have the spindles and plates on the shelf just need drums and hubs to complete the set up.

Stogy, Outback and Tim like this.
  16. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks, and yes, I am trying to build my dream car on a budget. Someone said that building a car over a long period of time is like buying a car on layaway. Just making small payments every month until it's all yours. haha.

I recently told someone that this project is my lifetime work. I have been scouring swap meets and the internet for years to piece this project together. "I got it one piece at a time..."

I am using 39-40 Lincoln hubs and drums. If you can't locate good 39-40 Lincoln hubs and drums, you just need Lincoln hubs, and any of them will work from 39-48, as the hubs are all the same. Then with these deep backing plates, 40-41 Ford drums will work on the Lincoln hubs.

porkshop, Stogy, shortypu and 8 others like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Looking very cool Neal but I can’t see most of your pics... just [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  18. NealinCA

NealinCA

Anyone else having problems seeing the pics on this thread? They are all in my albums here on the HAMB, so I would think they would link OK. Some of my older builds (like my RPU) used Photobucket links, and those are now broken.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Loading just fine for me but I’ve noticed it being slow to load in general the last day or so.

you gonna cruise this to Oklahoma in the fall? It looks amazing this far!

Stogy likes this.
  20. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One other question. who did you get the kingpins from? I remember there was someone offered a set up with needle bearings as the stock 32-36 bearing on top doesn't work with this combo. Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide on building one of my 3 windows out and wanting to use some of the parts I have around.

Stogy likes this.
  21. NealinCA

NealinCA

Dennis Lacy at the Early V8 Garage in Covina offers a kit to put 37-41 kingpins in 32-34 spindles, using Torrington needle thrust bearings. I got the part numbers off the HAMB close to 20 years ago and have been doing the same on my own cars.

porkshop, Stogy, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  22. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. 57tailgater

57tailgater
    from Georgia

Love following your threads and appreciate you sharing them with us. Your builds are so cool and neat and this is no exception! Saw your 5W posted on the computer wallpaper thread too. Looks like you've marked the windshield for the chop and I also noticed your closed cab pickup reflection in the front hub cap - nice touch! Looking forward to the updates and keep up the great work!

Stogy likes this.
  24. NealinCA

NealinCA

I assume you are referring to this photo that was posted in the HAMB Deuce Club thread...

I hadn't noticed the closed cab pickup reflection, that was not intentional...but cool none the less. Thanks for pointing that out

And yes, that is the proposed chop line, about 2-1/2" through the B-Pillar.
    [​IMG]

25. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

Great work!

Stogy likes this.
  26. Such a cool build. Love following threads like this...So, did you decide on chop, or no chop?

Stogy likes this.
  27. NealinCA

NealinCA

Yes chop! I'm planning on a mild chop of approximately 2-1/2" at the B-pillar.

porkshop and Stogy like this.
  28. Cool....Looks like you have saved a bunch of awesome parts.

Stogy likes this.
  29. NealinCA

NealinCA

I tore down a factory relieved 59 for the 5w. And somehow, I was able to remove all 48 head studs without breaking a single one.
    I also got the floor tiles set in my shop office project.

Attached Files:

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Looks great!

Stogy likes this.