Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stewart Warner SOUTH WIND heaters.....anyone??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adavis, Feb 7, 2023.

1. adavis

adavis

I've been looking around the internet and I'm quickly realizing all the people that I had saved as contacts for South Wind heater parts are gone. There was a guy in Canada that had a good website but its nowhere to be found. The phone numbers I do find on old threads or websites are "no longer in service". Does anyone know someone that has parts or works on the old South Wind auto heaters? I've got a few, but am looking for a couple parts (a good jet tube for one). I know I can just keep searching ebay or wherever but am hoping someone still specializes in these things.
    upload_2023-2-7_14-37-18.png

2. alchemy

alchemy

I’ve got a bunch of NOS parts in cold storage. Send me a list of what you need and I’ll see what I can find.

3. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Just last weekend at the Roadster show I saw a vintage Air booth and they had those on display new

egads and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. ...Looks like the ones from Vintage Air are hot water heaters styled with a nod to the S/W South Wind heaters. They look good.

Joe Blow and lurker mick like this.

5. From Vintage Air... Streamline-Heater-profile-full-res-2-768x768.jpg

egads and Joe Blow like this.
  6. Sorry for the interruption @adavis.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. goldmountain

goldmountain

$300? I guess that makes it worthwhile to convert mine into a hot water unit.

9. TCTND

TCTND

IMG_0594.JPG Here's mine, converted to H2O. Blower fits up under the dash and can't be seen. The original Southwind knob controls the 3 speed blower; small black knob on the right is the heater valve.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

TCTND, I would love to see how that went together...any pics? I’d like to fit one into my ‘32 5W.

11. TCTND

TCTND

Fortunateson...
    I didn't take pics while building but the black housing is just plywood. The heater core is Ford pickup, copper as I needed to modify the inlet/outlets slightly. Blower is a Spal; only a couple dollars more than a chinese copy. It's pretty simple. I did need to split the top of the housing and widen it about 3/8" to cover the core. Southwind heaters came in at least two sizes and you want the larger. Finding a suitable core was the biggest challenge.

12. adavis

adavis

Thanks for the input everyone. I guess the old "instant email replies" feature isn't working for me these days. I just logged in thinking I'd have to rattle the cage for a response and I find a list of replies. I really appreciate the info. That new water version looks cool, but I'm hoping to go old skool with mine. I've got a NOS unit in the box with all the paperwork but I'm missing the "jet tube".
    I'm hoping someone chimes in to this thread that still works on the South Winds. I think the guy I had found in Canada had some good stuff at a reasonable price, but his website is gone so I assume he's not in the business any longer.

13. Hey fellas, I have a south wind instant heater model 8316 and I have no idea what this thing is about or what it would’ve been mounted in or what era it’s from can any of you provide a little information?

thanks!

Gary

Attached Files:

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

What you have there is a heater for inside the cab of some sort of heavy equipment. When I worked on air cooled German vehicles, we installed a few of them in '68 up Transporters in the passenger area. It won't be of any use in a HAMB era vehicle ...

Blues4U likes this.
  15. Okay, that at least gets me somewhere! Thank you!

16. BJR

BJR

I believe they were used in some small airplanes also.

17. jaracer

jaracer

Big truck sleeper heater.

18. I can’t find anything on these machines how would I put a date to this unit? Like what era?