Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are 1958 283 starters the same for autos and manuals?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by selohssa, Feb 7, 2023.

1. selohssa

selohssa

I am having a hard time figuring out what starter I need for a 1958 Chevy car 283 with a 3 speed. Some listings say that the starters are the same for auto and manual and others say that they are different. I don't want to order the wrong one. Thanks

2. I'd check the listing at:
    www.rockauto.com

to see the part numbers they show.

selohssa likes this.
  3. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks for the reply. I checked them. They have several listings, but some say auto only and some say both. I am confused.

4. the answer is yes and no. It depends on what has been done to your 58 Chevy. Is it a 3 speed or an auto? does it still have the original fly wheel / flex plate? if auto is it still the original cast iron power glide. these cars have been around a long time and lots of repairs and replacements have been done. Give us a little more info like trans type, if its a cast iron power glide or has been swapped out for an aluminum glide or TH350. In theory it should be the same between a 3 speed and the original cast iron power glide. they had the same mounting provision, but if the trans was swapped at some point to a later auto, those lack the mounting point on the bellhousing and require a block mounted starter.

427 sleeper, Johnny Gee and selohssa like this.

5. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Rock auto lists 4 offerings , 2 reman , 2 new , all 4 fit manual or auto transmission .

pprather and selohssa like this.
  6. selohssa

selohssa

Thanks for the reply. It is a 3 speed manual with original flywheel. I bought a block mounted starter, thinking that it would work it did not. I don't want to get another one that is not right. So, would one that is designed for a bellhousing mount work regardless of if it is auto or manual?

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

If it has 3 bolts around the flange of the starter, where it bolts to the bellhousing, then there's really only one starter that will fit. It also fits standard trans trucks from 55-72, so it's easy to find.

Pictures of your car's engine/bellhousing really help.

The turboglide starter bolts to the block, and wont' fit. The powerglide/standard transmission starter bolts to the bellhousing and will fit.

8. Fordors

Fordors

B24122C1-8901-4891-895D-87645AD566F9.jpeg

IIRC Chevy used the bell housing mounter starter from ‘55-‘62 on passenger cars and maybe later in pickups. The ‘57-‘58 Turbo-Glide (a troublesome P/G upgrade) did have a block mounted starter, but do you know if the engine was ever changed in your ‘58?
    Being a stick shift it could have one of two flywheels, the 14” 168 tooth, or the 12 3/4” 153 tooth. You may have the wrong block mounted starter, if that is what was in your ‘58. The 168 tooth f/w takes the staggered bolt pattern starter, with the other used a straight across bolt pattern starter. Measure your ‘wheel to see what you have. It may also help us if you check the numbers stamped on the block and report back, some late’50’s -early ‘60’s blocks never had all three holes to fit the two starters.

selohssa likes this.
  9. What are the numbers on the old starter?

selohssa likes this.
  10. junkman8888

junkman8888

Remove the starter you have, take it to a rebuilder, have it rebuilt or buy the parts and rebuild it yourself, that's what I've always done.

11. selohssa

selohssa

Right on. Thanks for the info. I will check on that and report back

12. selohssa

selohssa

I lost it in a move a couple of years ago.

13. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Best to rebuild what ya got. My Olds starter has a threaded hole for a brace to the block the replacements do not. I'm not that far if you need one to rebuild

Last edited: Feb 8, 2023
  14. squirrel

squirrel

huh? :)

15. Illustrious Hector

Illustrious Hector

Misfire

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

selohssa likes this.