Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Decorated Wedding Car Pics (Old and New)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 54delray, Oct 20, 2022.

1. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

54WeddingPaint1956.jpg

54WeddingPaintSXCTY.jpg 54Rear1956.jpg
    54RearSXCTY.jpg
    54OpenDoor1956.jpg
    54OpenDoorPonca.jpg

Oct 21 would have been my Mom and Dad's 66th Wedding anniversary. Mom passed in 2020, Dad in 2015. And I miss them.

In tribute to them today, I thought I would post some pictures from 1956. They were married on Mom's birthday in northeast Nebraska. Dad drove a '54 Chevy Delray at the time and they took this car on their honeymoon to Niagra Falls.

Growing up, I always heard stories of Dad's '54 with the split 6 Chevy under the hood. He bought it Jan 4, 1955 at Bloom Auto on Farnam St in Omaha NE. It served him well as he enlisted in the Army and drove it to St Louis MO where he was stationed. He served in Korea in the Medic Corps, driving an ambulance.

Dad's younger brother was working as a body and fender man in Omaha. Uncle Willis nosed and decked Dad's Chevy and peaked the hood. Dad bought a "chevy grille bar" for $14.95 at Arrow Auto Supply in St Louis. I still have the receipt for that laying around here somewhere. He removed the 5 teeth and gave his Chevy the smoothie look. He also added full wheel covers from the BelAir model and aftermarket Foxcraft fenderskirts, the ones with the nice lip on the bottom edge.

Fast forward to 1980, I bought my first car, a Bermuda Green '54 Chevy. I absolutely knew that I was going to replicate the car that Dad had told me about all those years. I went gung-ho, like a madman, tearing the car down to a bare body on the frame. I was going to drive this car in high school ... but that never happened because Dad accidentally bought a '55 Ford Club Sedan. That's a story for another day. But the Ford became my high school car and the '54 Chevy sat, all torn apart until 2005.

I thought, "I should get my copy of Dad's car done in time for their '50th wedding anniversary." Yeah, great idea. Too bad I didn't have this idea about 4 years prior to that. I never got the car done by 2006. Didn't hit the road actually until 2009.

Mom and Dad actually did get to enjoy my Chevy, driving it on pleasure cruises or for ice cream or whatever. On the event of their 55th anniversary in 2011, I had the car entered at an indoor show in Sioux City IA. I dug out the old photos and tried to replicate the writing from their car. Of note, on the back glass closest to the driver's side, some one had written "She got him today, he'll get her tonite" So I put that on my car ... and I put some mannequin legs sticking up in the back seat! Mom didn't like that!

Enjoy the pics. You should easily be able to tell the old ones from the newer ones.

Let's see yours!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  2. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

3. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Honeymoon 1956 collage.jpg
    Honeymoon 1956 in Ohio.jpg
    Honeymoon 1956.jpg

I love this last picture. Dad was too cool.

There's a couple things that I chose not to put on my recreation. Dad had the optional gas door guard, I skipped that. We both filled the front fender antenna hole, but I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the top of both quarter panels to mount slanted-back antenna. I like the look, but already bought a hidden antenna.

4. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

And then here's me and my wife leaving the church in 2015.:):)

I display copy of my Dad's license plate from 1956. It confuses people. Nebraska has 93 counties. They were numbered in order of population, Thurston County being 55th in ranking. So it is a '56 plate from 55 County on a '54 car. If I had a nickel for every time someone asks if it's a '55 or '56...

060615BillNKaren113.jpg

5. perk03

perk03
    from VA

great pics and a great story!

54delray likes this.
  6. That’s too kool! Thanks so much for sharing! What a tribute to your folks! :)

54delray and Sancho like this.
  7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

My dad bought this Model A in high school in 1962 for $75. It was channeled and unchopped with a hopped up banger motor in it. By the time he and my mom got married in 1974 this is how it looked. He specifically told his friends not to put anything on his car, but they decorated it anyway while they were in the church. My uncle took the picture through the back window. I still have the car, it's on the road in primer. I'm planning on painting it yellow again over the winter. vi_49.jpg vi_55.jpg vi_60.jpg

8. Here's an interesting one from a friend of mine. Lynn Chamberlain of Ks bought Dave Puhl's '57 convertible from a used car lot. It was their "wedding car".... however the shaving cream "decorations" permanently ruined the paint and Lynn later traded it in.
    Pictures from Kustomrama, (as I knew they were posted there).
    https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Dave_Puhl's_1957_Chevrolet
    Dave-puhl-1957-chevrolet.jpg

800px-Lynn-chamberlain-1957-chevrolet.jpg

9. I guess I drove a custom pickup as my wedding “car”. It was lowered and black with flames as it was my rolling business card for custom paint back then. However, there was no decoration since my wife and I ran off to Eureka Springs with only a maid of honor and no one else to get married. So, it kept my friends from being able to do any decorating. And, the pickup was OT for here, so no pics.

54delray, vinfab and Sancho like this.
  10. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

11. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

12. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

@Automotive Stud Oh YEAH! Great pics. Hope we get to see more when you get it painted yellow again.

Sancho and guthriesmith like this.
  13. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Ooooh, shoe polish or shaving cream? Results obviously not good. When I did my car for the indoor show I first ran a test on an extra fenderskirt. I waxed the bat crap out of it and used a white water-based paint from Hobby Lobby.

A friend who was set up as a vendor at the show told me people were kind of freaking out as I hand lettered the car. "What the hell is that guy doing?", he overheard from several people.

I hit the closest car wash after the show. For several months, I would still find small flecks of white that got washed down behind the stainless trim.

Hamtown Al, WalkerMD, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  14. Oops, I fixed it. Good catch @54delray

54delray likes this.
  15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I wonder where that Dave Puhl Chevy is today?

54delray and Sancho like this.
  16. I had the Just Married spare tire cover made for one of the twins wedding, it just happened to be the weekend before our 40th anniversary, so we left it on the car for the Nats South. HRP

[​IMG]

17. Wedding day - 5/4/72 . HRP

399626-1342230450-8fb49ece2138ba580a09cb0fefa04a40.jpg

18. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Uhm .... @HOTRODPRIMER I see you wore white but she didn't? I'm not sure what that means.;)

WalkerMD, Turnipseed and Sancho like this.
  19. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

20. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

21. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not decorated however arty of sorts Matt2.jpg

vtx1800, Sancho and 54delray like this.
  22. The only dress she owned and I wore my formal suit that all the members of the band wore when we played upscale venues. HRP

23. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

This one reminds me of the song by Social Distortion, "Ball and Chain"

BallAndChainSucker.jpg

24. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

25. Acres

Acres
    from Sweden

Saw this one some years ago, atleast a record in beercans
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. patsurf

patsurf

54delray likes this.
  27. Clutch101

Clutch101

Your story brought a tear to my eye... Great read! I always wanted to build a car with my dad. He was never able to own a true full custom but they were in his bones. Unfortunately he passed way too soon. Our custom car highlight was he and I worked together one weekend when I was working with Gene Winfield on Maybelline. I worked with Gene for about 4 months or something, living with Gene because I lived up north at the time. My pops said he and his buddies would cut high school class and go watch Gene build cars at his shop in Modesto. He was a big fan of Gene's. He watched him build Jade Idol and one of my dads buddy had some custom work done on one of his cars. I've been a car guy since I could walk and go to car shows with my dad. Every year we looked forward to the Autorama and the Oakland Roadster Show. We bought a 59 Elco together. One day it will be completed.

Hot Rods Ta Hell and 54delray like this.
  28. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Thanks @Clutch101 for sharing some of your family's cool history in your 1st post on the HAMB. Welcome!

It is thee right place to be if you are still into traditional customs and hot rods. Lots of great content on this site from people that have scars on their hands and grease under their nails. And maybe even a little paint down in the creases of their knuckles.

I'm sure if you were with Gene Winfield you heard it more than once ... "Everyday is a school day".

Best of luck getting that El Camino together. You and your dad had great taste when you picked that one.

Sancho and Clutch101 like this.
  29. Clutch101

Clutch101

Thanks a bunch and I appreciate the warm welcome!!!

54delray likes this.